4Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By rayj
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Mesh Jackets

Had a chance to stop into the big Comp. Acc. store in Springfield, OH yesterday to compare some mesh jackets. I currently use a black Xelement that came with a vest and a full sleeved waterproof liner, and I wear this from about 55 degrees and up. While it is black, the reflective piping is out standing on this lower cost jacket. I just want to get something that is not black, being the same issue as on the other thread re: mesh pants. Here are some observations of what I saw and what I have been searching for on-line.

-the Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion appeared very well made re: buttons, zippers, engineering, etc, and comes with full waterproof liner and a vest, armor. Colors are hi-viz yellow and silver, and has mostly black on the shoulders, but this is the Innolite material that looks like white reflective tape in the dark when hit by headlights. Costs around $180.

-the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 mesh comes in like 9 color combos with mostly black on the shoulders and parts of the sleeves except for the silver choice. Does have armor and a price of around $153.

-Tour Master Draft Air has a hi viz yellow, but most of the front and back are black. Has everything you would expect and costs around $145.

-Rush Mesh has a hi viz yellow, but the shoulders and outside parts of the sleeves are black. Has everything you would expect and costs around $180.

-Firstgear Mesh Tex jacket has everything except back armor, and appears to be well made. Except for some small areas this is all either a dayglo yellow or a silver with some reflective piping. It was either this one or the Tour Master that the snap at the end of the sleeve was only connected to part of the garment material, and had already been pulled out. Price is again around $180.

-the Xelement Invasion Men's Mesh was not at the store, but I am familiar with there stuff and got the details from the LeatherUp web site. It has vest ans WP liner, and sleeve tightening snaps and sleeve end snaps to compliment the sleeve zippers, comes in hi viz green, and costs around $80.

Besides the ones listed, there are a number of big name brand jackets for $220 to $330. There are also a couple of cheaper ones, like the Fly Flux Air Mesh sold by a couple of the big online stores for around $90. The hi viz and silver will be a lot harder to keep clean than the black we all wear.

If I'm going to spend $180, I would probably go with the Joe Rocket to get the material that lights up that is on the shoulder. But for 44% of that cost, I will probably go with the Xelement, and if I feel skittish at night, can always throw on my reflective vest over this.

Happy breeze on the knees and happy fathers day all.

RayJ

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Banned

Do either of these reduced jackets float yer boat????

JOE ROCKET at Cycle Gear

PS, there's another 10% off if you give them your e mail addy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:39 PM

Garage
My mesh jackets are all speed & strength. Like the fit and durability. My buddy bought this mesh jacket in silver and he loves it. Its get more air flow than my Speed & Strengths.....Firstgear - Premium Motorcycle Gear Mesh Tex Jacket - Jackets - Men's Gear

I made the mistake of buying a black mesh jacket while in Texas ( Big Mistake) I don't mind some black on the arms or shoulders but not too much.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:40 PM

Garage
I still haven't even attempted to purchase jackets or pants that fit my body size. 6'5. 180 lbs (soaking wet). I have a 36" inseam, 32" waist, and my armspan is 6'8... I'm a freak. Anyone advise me in which direction I should go?

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 04:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
I still haven't even attempted to purchase jackets or pants that fit my body size. 6'5. 180 lbs (soaking wet). I have a 36" inseam, 32" waist, and my armspan is 6'8... I'm a freak. Anyone advise me in which direction I should go?
These guys are out of Texas and do custom sizes. Pricey but great quality.....Teiz Motorsports, Custom Motorcycle Apparel
Lours_Polaire likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Have you tried the NBA????

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
Do either of these reduced jackets float yer boat????

JOE ROCKET at Cycle Gear

PS, there's another 10% off if you give them your e mail addy
That Joe Rocket IOS is the one I thought was a great jacket and would go for in a heartbeat if I did not already have so many jackets. the price on the floor at the store I mentioned is the $179, and that's what other list it off at. It also comes in silver, and I really like the way the shoulders light up with the special material. I think the Atomic is there regular lightweight waterproof jacket, and would be too hot for summer riding in my area.

rayj
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
My mesh jackets are all speed & strength. Like the fit and durability. My buddy bought this mesh jacket in silver and he loves it. Its get more air flow than my Speed & Strengths.....Firstgear - Premium Motorcycle Gear Mesh Tex Jacket - Jackets - Men's Gear

I made the mistake of buying a black mesh jacket while in Texas ( Big Mistake) I don't mind some black on the arms or shoulders but not too much.
I liked the Firstgear jacket, and described it in my thread, but am surprised it did not list that it had any back armor. Is that true? If I took out my back armor piece, that would surely increase the ventilation. BTW, I'm buying a pair of the Speed and Strength Dogs of War riding pants for my birthday in August.

rayj
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Besides the custom place in Texas that Joe mentioned, you might also look at some of the European manufacturers. Some make jackets that are longer in the body, and have a cinch system to tighten in the gut area. Might be a way for you to use an XL for your arm and torso lengths. then maybe use a tailor to cut out the excess. You could still use body armor, Bohn or others, and not worry about the need for having a tight fit of the jacket.

If you want a great leather jacket, have the guys at Fox Creek make you a custom size. They have like 10 different designs. I got them to make mine with a chest and gut size that were inbetween a large and a medium, and sleeves that were the length of the large size. I had originally ordered the medium, but it was just a little too tight with winter gear on. there was no problem returning it and getting them to cut a custom size. You could give them your dimensions, but realize that they are sizing it on a dummy, so you need to take into account if you are going to be wearing this in cold weather with a lot on underneath, or just a t-shirt. You could also buy a large from them with the intent of only using it for sizing purposes and send it back with pictures of how it fits.
1stversys likes this.

rayj
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 06:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
I liked the Firstgear jacket, and described it in my thread, but am surprised it did not list that it had any back armor. Is that true? If I took out my back armor piece, that would surely increase the ventilation. BTW, I'm buying a pair of the Speed and Strength Dogs of War riding pants for my birthday in August.
Yea his didn't have the back armor. I have a pair of speed & strength pants also i only wore them a few times. I just normally ride in my jeans.
josucksbuena likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Have you tried the NBA????
Haha nope I was never a big basketball fan. Year round competitive swimming from 5 years old till I was 22

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:27 PM

Garage
Just got this from motorcycle gear.com.....Scorpion Eddy Jacket (Neon Colors) :: MotorcycleGear.com

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Haha nope I was never a big basketball fan. Year round competitive swimming from 5 years old till I was 22
What was your stroke(s) and where did you go to school. My oldest, who is 28 was a butter flyer and short sprinter for Miami. I spent a large amount of my life around the pool with the other 2 kids swimming through HS. Wife was a US official who ran the Colorado or the meet computer, and I was an announcer. In my younger days I was what we used to call a lazy swimmer; that being a diver. No brains.

rayj
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 05:49 PM

I have a Joe Rocket Ion. I like it pretty well but even mesh gets hot where I live. It is very reflective. I have some Aramid fiber lined jeans. They are the sliders brand from CA. I think the same manufacturer makes jeans sold under several different brands. They get hotter than regular jeans when you are stopped or walking about.

It is hard to keep all of the armor in when dew point gets above 70F. It reached 76F yesterday with the sun shinning. Miserable. Nothing is cool enough in those conditions.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 11:49 AM

I'm running the Sliders jacket from CA this year. It fits in between a waist cut and 3/4 length... which I like as I have a long torso. Quality, fit and finish are all very good. I'm not sure you can do any better at the price... I'm very happy with it.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff
2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 09:13 AM

Garage
This jacket is exactly what I use and I'm very happy with it. I found it durable with little wear and tear and it fits perfectly.

NEW Adventure Tech Mesh Motorcycle Jacket CE Armour Liner Blue Black Medium | eBay

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 09:50 AM

The warm weather equation proves challenging.

On jackets, family members (none currently living here) tested a First Gear mesh and a perforated leather Harley jacket.

First Gear was a nice solid 35 ft slide after a tumble from dropping a wheel off the edge of the tarmac. The jacket scuffed on the cordura, the armor held, but the mesh simply vaporized down to a silvery inner mesh liner. Fairly substantial pieces. This was a decent slide, but nothing like an interstate spill. Made me ponder mesh and synthetics in general.

Regardless, elbow/forearm abrasions, hard shoulder hits, and sometimes a solid hit and slide on the back are the main issues, and the jacket handled a bit of all of that through the tumble.

The old Harley perforated leather jacket hit hard in a dog-impact high side. Slide was not very far (maybe 8 ft?) but the impact was strong. Scuffed up, but did not tear or become dangerous at all. The frugal would polish and use.

The mesh jacket was cool to ride in. The perforated leather is almost as cool and seems to have a wider temperature range.

Generally with the mesh, I find that an inner windproof running type vest is a good thing. I'm sure the old bicyclist trick of newspapers pushed in to block air flow would also be fine. Rain I always handled with a goretex over jacket.

Currently we have a Fulmer mesh that seems adequate, although I expect it would wear through after 30 ft in a real slide. Would keep the damage limited, plenty of armor. Scorpion EXO mesh with good cordura material on impact points, some accordion at the knees and good knee armor. I wear padded shorts under this. Very much cool. However, the Guzzi still bakes my shins if I'm forced into traffic!!

I've been pleased with Scorpion quality. The Scorpion jacket referenced above certainly seems a good value.

The amount of air flow also plays into things tremendously. I'm thinking of putting a summer windscreen on my Guzzi because of that. Just too much shelter for 90 degrees F!!!

Final thought: Fall on mesh, it's likely to be toast. And I wouldn't want mesh to encounter gravel.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 02:36 PM

Garage
ICON Contra. My son bought it for me and I love it. It doesn't have much in the way of reflective panels but it is super comfortable. I'm 5'9" and fat so the 3XL would normally be huge and I'd be swimming in it but it has straps and snaps to customize the fit. I've never tested the wear when sliding down the asphalt but I think ICON makes pretty good gear. It is all black so sitting at a light when its over 90F can be warm but as soon as the light turns green the breeze flows freely. It loose enough that I can wear under layers and my outer waterproof shell fits over easily. Priced recently was $225 so it up there.

Hope this helps.

Ed

2011 Versys 650
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I ended up spending the extra money and got the Joe Rocket ION mesh. Great jacket, great wrist closure, great ventilation, quality product. With the full sleeve waterproof liner and the thermal vest, it's really a 3 season jacket. I can wear a size Medium in a lot of items, but with the liner and vest, the medium made me look like a tick about to bust. So I returned it and got the Large. I'm 5'10", 170lbs, 44 chest and 34 waist. Competition Accessories were great to deal with. Call them before you do a return so they can send you a UPS ticket.

rayj
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Besides the custom place in Texas that Joe mentioned, you might also look at some of the European manufacturers. Some make jackets that are longer in the body, and have a cinch system to tighten in the gut area. Might be a way for you to use an XL for your arm and torso lengths. then maybe use a tailor to cut out the excess. You could still use body armor, Bohn or others, and not worry about the need for having a tight fit of the jacket.

If you want a great leather jacket, have the guys at Fox Creek make you a custom size. They have like 10 different designs. I got them to make mine with a chest and gut size that were inbetween a large and a medium, and sleeves that were the length of the large size. I had originally ordered the medium, but it was just a little too tight with winter gear on. there was no problem returning it and getting them to cut a custom size. You could give them your dimensions, but realize that they are sizing it on a dummy, so you need to take into account if you are going to be wearing this in cold weather with a lot on underneath, or just a t-shirt. You could also buy a large from them with the intent of only using it for sizing purposes and send it back with pictures of how it fits.
If you want the best and willing to pay Motoport makes high quality kevlar gear in custom sizes that will last a lifetime.
Motoport USA | Custom Motorcycle Apparel and is supposedly as abrasion resistant as thick leather as it is AMA certified for track use.
Lours_Polaire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode