You've got to be kidding me, RIGHT? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You've got to be kidding me, RIGHT?

Does anyone actually think this is a good deal for a coat?
Klim Adventure Rally Jacket - RevZilla
Yeah, yeah you can't put a price on protection. BUT come on, $1700 for a stinking coat! You got to be smoking something pretty darn good, or been drinking the KLIM cool-aid for years to believe that it's worth it.
I almost forgot about the matching pants for a cool $ 1000......... Now that's a bargain compared to the coat, right? Am I not seeing something? WHO would buy these?
Klim Adventure Rally Pants - RevZilla

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:40 PM

does it have Air-bags?? sensors maybe, to protect in case of accident...
it is heated?
I can think about some useful features included in one jacket that will drive the price up.... but that much!?!

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:47 PM

I've worn it and though it didn't belong to me if I had the money it would. Some of the nicest gear I've ever seen built like a tank and all top notch through out in materials and workmanship. We think nothing about dropping $400.00-$600.00 for a helmet or $200.00-$400.00 for a pair of boot and don't even get me going of the price of the "Toys" we add to our bikes...themselves a Toy!

BUT then it's been years since the last hard "Off" I had I do remember it wasn't much fun and the older I get the less I bounce and the more I break. I tend to think first about protecting my sorry hide than I do another farkle for the bike because hospitals SUCK...so says the man who's spent more time in one that he ever wanted to.

But it's your money to spend as you like and mine to spend as I like. And Klim makes less extreme gear.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Banned

No doubt someone will comment that "you can't put a price on better protection!"

There must be people out there with that kind of money to burn, & l suppose it keeps some people in a job!!
AlaskaJeff likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 05:45 PM

I have any easy 1,500 bucks worth of jackets..three pairs of boots at somewhere around 700 bucks..more gloves than you can shake a stick at for around 500 bucks...this is an for your life time jacket..Klim has others for 1,300 and 950..so it's not a big leap for them...ask anybody who has Klim gear..they all tell you it's the best purchase they ever made...will I buy one?? oh hell no..but I'd sure like to have one...

AlaskaJeff likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 06:21 PM

Looked at the Klim Latitude. Great jacket at an affordable price and maybe my next jacket. Not many of us will need the extra features of the $1700 Adventure model like the integrated helicopter rescue sling.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 07:55 PM

Gee Golly! I need to buy two of these so I can ride my overpriced mondo teutonically cooler than anything else on the planet BMW GSR1200RRRRRR with all the TrailTec gear and spotwalla and three GPS units and Jesse Zodiak panniers (bags if you don't parlay vows francasis) an ABS Ktrac, Btrac and 8-Track cloud computing machine.

What a load of crap! I am getting sick and tired of this! I saw a Chevy Silverado at Costco today priced at a very reasonable $54,354.00! WTF!!!!!

I feel better now. Back to cheap beer and whisky..........
pipopo likes this.

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 09:30 PM

Come on lotto, daddy needs a new riding jacket...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 09:41 PM

I'd rather buy another Versys for less money than the pants and jacket.
https://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/5498340990.html
AlaskaJeff and saddlebag like this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Yeah, yeah you can't put a price on protection. BUT come on, $1700 for a stinking coat! You got to be smoking something pretty darn good, or been drinking the KLIM cool-aid for years to believe that it's worth it.
I almost forgot about the matching pants for a cool $ 1000......... Now that's a bargain compared to the coat, right? Am I not seeing something? WHO would buy these?
My local dealer is a distributer and the apparel lady there tells me that Klim are a one time purchase. Should they ever fail, Klim will give you a new one.
The jackets she has are in the $600 range. At that price, if one is young and has aspirations of a long motorcycling career, that may make sense. Me, I wait until fall and pick up jackets for $100. Except for zippers, even those almost always last forever, though aren't always as pretty as a new one. The shoe repairman up the street will replace zippers for $25.
My summer goto Joe Rocket air jacket celebrates it's 17th birthday this year. It cost me $99 at the Honda Hoot back when air jackets were something new. After a bath it still looks new. That one's never even needed a zipper. I ride about 15k miles a year.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
My local dealer is a distributer and the apparel lady there tells me that Klim are a one time purchase. Should they ever fail, Klim will give you a new one.
The jackets she has are in the $600 range. At that price, if one is young and has aspirations of a long motorcycling career, that may make sense. Me, I wait until fall and pick up jackets for $100. Except for zippers, even those almost always last forever, though aren't always as pretty as a new one. The shoe repairman up the street will replace zippers for $25.
My summer goto Joe Rocket air jacket celebrates it's 17th birthday this year. It cost me $99 at the Honda Hoot back when air jackets were something new. After a bath it still looks new. That one's never even needed a zipper. I ride about 15k miles a year.

I was going to say that it is pretty impressive to be able to wear the same anything for 17 years, but then, maybe you were overweight 17 years ago when you bought it.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I was going to say that it is pretty impressive to be able to wear the same anything for 17 years, but then, maybe you were overweight 17 years ago when you bought it.
Still am and probably will be until cancer or some such thing snatches my appetite for good food and spirits. Not sure what you're getting at though. Are you thinking air jackets shrink with age?
As I recall, Klims are made out of the same nylon and sewed up in Vietnam with everything else, so they're likely subject to the same material degradation as everything else. As far as I know they don't have any appetite suppressant properties that would have me skipping lunch either.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Still am and probably will be until cancer or some such thing snatches my appetite for good food and spirits. Not sure what you're getting at though. Are you thinking air jackets shrink with age?
As I recall, Klims are made out of the same nylon and sewed up in Vietnam with everything else, so they're likely subject to the same material degradation as everything else. As far as I know they don't have any appetite suppressant properties that would have me skipping lunch either.

Just that 17 year olds don't usually remain the same weight 20 years later. But of course many 17 year olds are overweight now compared to the 1970s.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 AM

Garage
Only has 2 1/2 star from reviewer ... Hiiiiii

LOP
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro in AZ, and here in BC (I don't bring stuff back-and-forth - COMPLETE sets both sides of the border!), and I haven't ever thought of replacing w/ Klim. They work fine, and co$t LESS than $200 each.

Actually - looking into my garage clothes-corner - I have SIX jackets (two each in leather, textile and mesh), as well as three textile pants, one mesh and two leather; four pairs of boots; rain-gear, etc. AND pretty much the same down in AZ.

Guess I'm a riding-gear 'whore'....

Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 12:59 PM

[quote=fasteddiecopeman;1121850]I have a FirstGear

I am amazed how much I have amassed in 3 riding seasons of clothes and farkles. Still, I'm spending less per year, and having a lot more fun than when I played 30 to 40 rounds of golf per year.

Re the expensive KLM jacket, I could buy 2 of the Gortex Alpinstars Durban jackets that have the same features, or 5 of the Fieldsheer Adventure jackets (non Gortex) for that price.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 05:33 PM

I've found the perfect combination for the local climate that spans 0C to 33C. For the heat nothing beats mesh but for the rest I use a 4 season coat. Both are Olympia who I feel make excellent stuff for the money. My four season jacket is my most used piece of gear, it would be nice to have a single jacket that works well at all temperatures though. Wish I had their Motoquest jacket which, at least, hints at having true all season capability with improved venting.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-19-2016 at 10:12 PM.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Both are Olympia who I feel make excellent stuff for the money.
I agree I have a Switchback jacket and it's one of if not the best mesh jacket I've ever owned. Sadly I'm going to have to sell it. Wait if it so good why would I sell it? Well I lost 65 pounds and it didn't shrink with me so the large fits me like a tent now. So I'm going to put in the the classified and when I sell it I'm getting a med Switchback.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 07:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro in AZ, and here in BC (I don't bring stuff back-and-forth - COMPLETE sets both sides of the border!), and I haven't ever thought of replacing w/ Klim. They work fine, and co$t LESS than $200 each.

Actually - looking into my garage clothes-corner - I have SIX jackets (two each in leather, textile and mesh), as well as three textile pants, one mesh and two leather; four pairs of boots; rain-gear, etc. AND pretty much the same down in AZ.

I have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket too. i rarely use it because it irritates my neck. The collars too high for me. Its a great jacket but i just use it for the really nasty weather because of the collar issue. Might take it and have the collar cut down....
josucksbuena likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 10:53 AM

Going on the old adage "price it at whatever the market will bear", they are competing with the Aerostitch riding apparel. For years the magazine guys swear by Aerostitch, but I, for one wouldn't spend those prices.
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode