Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Anyone ever heard of this make of bike??

8K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Stud Muffin 
#1 ·
#2 ·
If it is a direct rip off where you can get maintenance and repair parts from the big four, it would be worth the risk.

Otherwise, getting parts to keep them running could be a nightmare.

Parts supply chains are the biggest challenge to keeping the bike operating. Way too many Lifan bikes sitting dead in people's back yards.

#6 ·
What viable first hand information do you posses? Have you ever heard of CSC RX3 Cyclone Adventure? That has a better FACTORY warranty than our Versys do... It's been tested and ridden 5000 miles in Baja with minimal problems. SO is this bike engineered to fail?
I remember back in the 60's when everyone was bashing "Jap" bikes the same way when they first started showing up in the US.

#8 ·
you can find crap manufacturing in any country and quality manufacturing in any country. its not that china can't make things of high quality, it's that high quality is rarely demanded of them, low price takes priority.
there are many high quality Chinese components that people never notice because they are "assembled" or whatever in another country to avoid the "made in china" label.

hawks have their share of low quality parts but the engine is fine.
bashan storm is a little better
and then the zongshen (csc) tt250 is the top end
they all share a bunch of parts.

#9 · (Edited)
My Experience is yes, they are inferior, mostly in chassis, shocks, etc.. however I bought my son one when he was in that in between stage to small for a larger bike, to big for a 50 etc..It was a 90 cc.. I knew he only needed it for about 9 months then he could have enough height to jump to something bigger. We ran that thing into the ground, all of us adults did as well,, it did everything my other sons xr80 did, just with a little less finesse..The engine was bullet proof, It was wrung out to within an inch of its life many times as he struggled to keep up with us on bigger bikes. Engine and transmission never so much as hiccupped, the shocks were springy, and the rear brake pedal was flimsy, but it never failed to start and run, and run perfectly for the year we had it and abused it. I recall I paid something like 490 bucks for the thing, had to put it together myself. it was a VERY good bargain!

So you go into knowing there may be a little more maintenance, a little less performance, etc.. but then again, you usually pay less than 1/2 that of a Japanese rival, and you have to weigh that in the mix. I would have zero issue owning one as a commuter bike, occasional dirt road/ trail bike.. etc.

#11 ·
I looked at their website - I wonder why the 200cc dual sport costs $250 more than their 250cc dual sport?

Is the 3 month warranty better than what you get for a Versys?

I've been buying and using Chinese power tools for decades (from Harbor Freight, since 1982) . I still have them all, and they are all still working fine. They are inexpensive, some are a little clunky, some are not. They don't get used every day, but they sure are nice to have around when you need them.

Hmmm... I wonder how much they'd want for just an engine? I have a mountain bike that I'd like to motorize and play with...

#14 ·
I looked at their website - I wonder why the 200cc dual sport costs $250 more than their 250cc dual sport?

Is the 3 month warranty better than what you get for a Versys?

I've been buying and using Chinese power tools for decades (from Harbor Freight, since 1982) . I still have them all, and they are all still working fine. They are inexpensive, some are a little clunky, some are not. They don't get used every day, but they sure are nice to have around when you need them.

Hmmm... I wonder how much they'd want for just an engine? I have a mountain bike that I'd like to motorize and play with...
I saw THIS: All RX3s Come Standard With A 2 Years Parts & 1 Year Labor Warranty
Additional Protection Plans Available

Where did you see the 3 month warranty?
Putting one of their motors on a mountain bike would be a HOOT! :surprise:

#13 ·
I think it's a case of "You get what you pay for" but as a couple of you have experienced, they don't all fall apart & just keep on keeping on!!!
Unfortunately we usually only hear the horror stories rather than everyday people's stories who get good value by using Chinese products & saving a shed load of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.