Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

2015/16 crash bars

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  IAMRA 
#1 ·
I am considering a set of bars for my '15 but from what I can tell, the SW Moto crash bars for the 2015/16 are different than the '14 & prior. appears they do not have that lower wrap around bar, only the upper one. is that true? if so.... how well does that work? I have doubt.

the Hepco/Becker look pretty good....

what about the Chezk ones on fleabay?

anything else out there? looking for performance & am interested in any experiences.... especially those that have been "tested"

#3 ·
I tried to purchase a couple of different kinds on-line but they were out of stock, so I bought the Kawasaki brand "sliders" I think they are okay, better than generic sliders but not quite crash bars. They have two steel stand-off bars and seem sturdy, maybe a bit overpriced.

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·
RDMoto are the only ones I've found which wrap the lower part of the engine. All the other brands only protect the upper areas, but imho those areas are not at risk. The handle bars will keep the upper areas away from the ground. The lower part of the engine is probably pretty safe on pavement, too, actually. The little nib on the bottom side of the foot peg contacts the ground, as does the end of the handle bar. Everything in between is off the ground.

If the foot peg comes off in a slide, now there's some risk to the lower engine.

Or, if you're on dirt or a rough trail, the uneven surface can penetrate through to the engine. But again I don't see the upper parts being at risk. Your turn signal sticking out is the biggest problem in any tip over or slide because it sticks out past that line from foot peg to handle bar. I've dropped my '15 twice at zero mph. Once in the garage, once in a parking lot. (Nobody here knows me, so I can admit this without too much embarrassment). Both times the front turn signal hit the ground and cracked the fairing piece it attaches to. I've replaced the front signals with R&G micro LED signals. One time the factory luggage boxes were attached, the other time not.

Sliders which attach at that mid point in the frame may be quite adequate to protect the engine in a drop or slide on pavement. Bars wrapping the upper area won't add any protection imho.

#6 ·
In UK, Gen 3 owners are putting on HB crash guards AND centerstands! What a deal. An oem quality centerstand and a crash guard that will protect your bike in all situations. Gen 3 owners are lucky. And their HB skid plates are $50 cheaper than the Gen 2 ones you have to wait a month to get :(

#8 · (Edited)
Fly.... you are confirming my suspicions, especially "turn signal sticking out is the biggest problem".

not thinking of this bike as an off road, I have others for that. it will definitely be doing gravel road & 2 track, probably some easy single track, but don't see where a skid plate will be required.

I haven't laid it over yet but it is pretty obvious the blinkers are vulnerable, and maybe some of the cowl. was thinking the HBs and weld another loop on just below the blinker

thanks for the input guys, anybody else "tested" the various crash bars?

#14 ·
thanks Eddie... the HBs for '15 look totally different from the '07/09, but if anything, they might be better. near as I can tell SW Moto don't have one for the '15 yet. in any case, the signal still looks like it sticks out too far. still ponderin'....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.