Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Anyone with a Corbin (or other brands) seat?

11K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  dddd 
#1 ·
I have very much enjoyed Corbin seats in the past on a few bikes. My previous bike was a '99 Concours and I had Corbin cut the passenger "step" 2.5" closer to the front. It felt great and was a perfect fit. The stock Concours seat was just a horrible blob of foam, so it didn't matter how it was cut, you wouldn't slide on a blob of foam.
So I need to know if the Corbin default cut is the same as the stock cut. If it is, then I'd go only about 1-1.5" closer.
Also need to know if the height changes much compared to the stock seat. I am 6'0" if it matters. I like the tallness of the 2015 Versys, so I don't want to lose any of that.
Considering my above questions, if you have any other brands (Sargent?) that might suit me, that'd be appreciated. I love the firmness of the Corbin, so that's my first choice, but open to suggestions.

#4 ·
Your post isn't quite clear to me. May be that I'm not feeling well, BUT. . . The part I did follow and that I can tell you with 100% accuracy is, DO NOT BUY A SARGENT for the V.
The stock seat sucked, slid you against the tank and would make a Vegas "working girl" sore in no time. So I bought the Sargent (only because I had a big ride coming up and didn't have time to order the Corbin). Slide was instantly better but, within 30 min on the bike, my lower back felt like I was kicked by a mule! I finally bought seat beads from Walmart and it was manageable (not recommended, turns your seat into a slip and slide).
All I can say is, either go with a Russel or a Corbin. Saddlemen would be my go to if they made one, but they don't.

I've heard many horror stories about Sargent, I got impatient. Now I'm sharing mine. Do not buy the $385 Sargent!

Hell, do not buy it if it's on sale for $3.85!!!!

Clear?

Hope so.
Really?? I happen to love my Sargent's seat...I've ridden for 4+ hours with no complaint...for sliding around in the seat..I would suggest Techspec seat covers..same company that makes the tank grips...

:wink2:

#5 ·
I went through 7 seat on my Versys....Save some time and money get the Seat Concepts..

#6 ·
Weljo or Motojunkee, can you tell me about the comparison between Seat Concepts and Corbin for firmness, if you are familiar with Corbin? Corbin is pretty firm. Some folks call it hard, but to me it's great.

#8 ·
For me the Corbin was the worst seat on the Versys. It was heavy had a weird shape was lower and was hard not firm. The Seat Concepts got rid of the forward slide sat slightly higher and you can get firmer foam for it if you want.

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
#13 ·
As I said, I could MANAGE with the beads but, they made it slick.

Here's the question... SHOULD YOU have to spend 1 cent more for any such cover when you have already spent ~$400 on the seat? I think not.

OH, and to the OP, IF you ride 2 up, your pillion will HATE you if you buy the Sargent. It MAY have 3/4" of padding for the p.

All of my statements pertaining to the absolute HORRIBLE seat are if you ride more than short distances. We (2up) ride several tanks at a time, some of which was pushing the limits of skill and technique. Also, to be fair, and honest, we recently sold the V.
Actually, I ride alone 99+% of the time. I agree with you on a cover. The seat should be sufficient. But it is really hard to buy one when you don't know what you are going to get. And to send my seat pan to Seat Concepts, can't do that! Then I couldn't go back to stock if I hate it. I do not hate the stock seat like I hated my Concours seat. So I will wait until I know what I am getting with the various aftermarket seat makers. Your guys' input has been very helpful and appreciated.

#15 ·
I have no experience with the Versys Sargent or Corbin so I can't comment on them but I do have a SC seat. I agree with the others, the SC seat eliminates the forward slide, it is a little taller than stock and a little firmer than stock. After about 20 minutes of riding on the stock seat my butt bones started to feel it. I can ride on the SC seat for hours without even thinking about the seat.

#19 ·
I just ordered the foam and cover from Seat Concepts. I selected more firm than standard. Thanks everyone who piped up with comments to help me decide!
I won't be riding until March or April, so looking forward to that.

#21 ·
I had a Corbin on a Yamaha FZ... Good seat, but never felt like it broke in... remained a bit too hard...
I put a Sargent Performance Plus on a V-Strom, and loved it... just the right amount of firmness, non-slip vinyl cover, storage tube under the seat, well made...
I now have another Sargent Performance on my Versys 650... couldn't be happier. It doesn't have the non-slip vinyl, like the Plus, but I'm finding it makes it easier to (purposefully) slide forward at stops, and slide back after rolling again, yet not too slippery that you feel you're sliding around. Has a much more defined 'backstop' so you feel more cradled than stock, and it's a bit wider, and more comfortable. Unfortunately, doesn't have the storage cylinder that the V-Strom version does... It's about the same height as the stock (they do have a lower version, which I had tried on another bike, and didn't like it). I've ridden for 8+ hour days on mountain twisties and slabs (4+ hours at a stretch without dismounting), with the Sargent, with zero issues... I couldn't do 90 minutes on the stocker without taking a break.

Decent discount on the Versys 650 Sargent seat at Revzilla...

#22 ·
I checked out seat concepts and didn't like the look of the 650 seat they have listed. It's very plain and boring looking and seems dated. The Versys 1000 seat on the other hand, that one looks awesome. I emailed them and they said they may have a similar seat for the 650 once they run out of their current stock. So if this is true, I'm going to wait

#23 ·
This thread got me to take a look at that Seat Concepts. I actually don't think the V1k seat is horrible, but it is too soft for long rides. For $169, the SC looks great. Might have to call to make sure it fits the new ones. Have to see if my Craftsman stapler has the balls to drive a staple in the seat pan.
I really like that the SC can be made all carbon fiber. I like seats that I can slide my ass around on easily.

#33 · (Edited)
Here's one for the V 650 that gets good reviews but to me looks like the stock but prettier!
Sargent Seats - Kawasaki Versys Black Welt
I couldn't stand the stock seat any longer. ( Extremely uncomfortable within minutes)
I replaced it with the Sargent seat. ($385 new shipped Ebay)
Much, much better for me and much better for my passage (wife)

#30 ·
I have a Sargent seat for my BMW. After tens years and +50k miles on it, the heating element went and burned a hole in the cover. I called Sargent and returned the seat for repair. One week later and $100 (shipping included) I had my seat back with new padding, heating element, and cover. Customer service was pretty darn good and the repair was excellent.

Attachments

#31 ·
Personally, I couldn't handle the 'locked in' seat position of the stock seat. Hurt my tailbone. Never had an issue with the forward lean because I rode it like a sport bike, meaning I kept my legs engaged on the tank which kept me from sliding forward.

IMO, Corbin makes every seat the same. Cruiser style sitting position. If you add risers to the handlebars and lower the pegs to turn the Versys from a sport bike to a cruiser, you might like the Corbin.

#32 ·
I had a Corbin on my Concours. I had them build it 2.5" forward so my riding position was locked in like a cafe racer. Extremely comfy. And I too ride with my knees in on the tank. Ever since my dirt bike days.

#34 ·
Spencer seat modification was outstanding for me. Spencer rebuilds your stock seat so you do not slide into the tank and your rear end remains comfortable. He uses SupraCor in place of the stock foam and it makes all the difference in the world. I don't think anybody can beat his price of $75 either. Contact Spencer through his web site:
Flash Intro Page

#37 ·
I have just shy of a year on my Sargent and really like it, personally. I guess to each his own. I've done 8-10 hours worth of riding in a day and found it pretty comfortable. I have the lowering version. I probably would have gone Corbin if they had had a lowering option at the time I ordered this in 2015, but I've been very happy with the Sargent. I found it not as firm as the Corbin I had on my ZR7s, but it works for me.

#38 · (Edited)
In the two weeks I've owned my Versys I've put 1800 miles on it by running every errand I could think of ahaha. Here is my Seat Concepts with Textured vinyl / Firm foam. I sanded the edges, glued the foam in, and secured the tabs. It took my local upholstery business about 15 minutes and $20 to make it come out great. I think when this cover wears out, that I will have him make me another. His work is top notch.

I think it looks good and plain, but it sure feels great!

#39 ·
Just installed my seat concepts seat last night... best thing I have done to the bike so far! My butt is really happy!

I ordered all carbon fiber and the firmer foam. I think it looks great and feels great.
Best "Bang for the Buck" out there in seats.:grin2:
Used SS Staples and a pneumatic stapler from Lowe's ($30)

#47 ·
I bought the versys usednin June as a replacement to my ZR7S which was equipped with a Corbin. I didnt sell the ZR7 until the past weekend, because rhe Versys was sonuncomfortable I wasnt sure it would work for me.

Long story short, I got a seat concepts kit in their standard foam, and it really transformed the bike. Stock seat was painful after merely 10
Miles for me. Seat concepts is pretty much all day comfortable. That said, I still prefer the super hard saddle like feel of the Corbin I had on my old
Bike. If I was to donot over, I would get the +1 foam on rhe seat concepts. But clearly I prefer a firm seat.

I stapled mine up with a $20 Harbor Freight stapler. Came out fine. Fit and finish isnt as nice as a true custom seat liek a Corbin or a sargent, but for be price point its great. Its sits higher, I have a 30" inseam, so I lowered the bike. The handling feels Better lowered to me
Anyway. Combined with some bars rhat are lower and furher forward to handle
my ape like arms, and this bike feels awesome.

My experience has been Kawasaki is simply incapable of making a comfortable seat. Well, my fathers Nomad was comfortable, but in a lazy boy kind of way. Doesnt count. His w650 wore a corbin feom day one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.