Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

3D printing is dope!

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  1stversys 
#1 ·
Despite a tall windshield, the turbulent air is generating some noticeable wind buzz despite wearing earplugs so i thought, raising up the windshield should push up the turbulent air above the helmet.

I have tried bolting it up with L-brackets before, but the setup looked kinda flimsy so i took it off. Searched around for ppl willing to laser cut up some steel or alu plates, but eventually none is willing to do a small job.

So i happen to bump into a guy doing up 3D printing. some communications back and forth on the designs and here i am with 2 piece of risers printed out. Not bad for a first draft, but it raised abit too high up i guess. 8cm from the original mounting hole. i intended to raise up about 5-6cm actually. but anyway i'll just use it for the time being, until it breaks (if it breaks).

rider's view - a lil' bit obscured. so yeah, i might order another pair slightly lower than this, when i cant bear with it any more

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I tried the same thing with acrylic / Perspex.

It did not work too well.
Although it removed the buffering on top of my head. The screen is too narrow and it introduced a lot of side buffering - like someone slapping your ears constantly while riding.

Gigitt, i believed that my screen is wider than yours.

alternatively there's another screen that is pretty wide on the sides - Ermax

#4 · (Edited)
Despite a tall windshield, the turbulent air is generating some noticeable wind buzz despite wearing earplugs so i thought, raising up the windshield should push up the turbulent air above the helmet.

I have tried bolting it up with L-brackets before, but the setup looked kinda flimsy so i took it off. Searched around for ppl willing to laser cut up some steel or alu plates, but eventually none is willing to do a small job.

So i happen to bump into a guy doing up 3D printing. some communications back and forth on the designs and here i am with 2 piece of risers printed out. Not bad for a first draft, but it raised abit too high up i guess. 8cm from the original mounting hole. i intended to raise up about 5-6cm actually. but anyway i'll just use it for the time being, until it breaks (if it breaks).

rider's view - a lil' bit obscured. so yeah, i might order another pair slightly lower than this, when i cant bear with it any more
Look at California Scientific shields. What they do is relieve the pressure behind the screen with an opening at the bottom. I assume it is engineered since a member here a few inches taller than 6' got one and he said it worked great. You may have a real good idea, but it just needs to bridge the bottom with a plexiglass piece that has an opening size/shape similar to the shield below. Of course, the openings could change with other variables to be perfect, but...

This is also what expensive Goldwings use too, so it must be a proven way to reduce pressure behind the shield. It's also pretty thrifty if it would work: a 3 piece plexiglass set. You could sell them on ADVrider >:)

If I break my Givi Air Flow Scoop drilling on my shield putting it on, then I'll try one of those California Scientific since they have a model for the Vs. 650 :) The air flow opening is a pretty innovative way to control pressure I'd like to try. Of course I'd like to see the 2010 fairing shield's to see if it is near as fairing-like as on the 2015! The 2015 Vs. 650 California Scientific fits pretty much like a complete fairing kit.

Kawasaki Versys Windshields

The 2010 model screen is not as good cosmetically (but it does have better wind coverage :) as the 2015 model, but not bad for the same technology; since it works without Stealth screen edging or expensive deflectors on the top of the screen or adjustable brackets (extra $$$.)

#6 ·
Look at California Scientific shields. What they do is relieve the pressure behind the screen with an opening at the bottom. I assume it is engineered since a member here a few inches taller than 6' got one and he said it worked great. You may have a real good idea, but it just needs to bridge the bottom with a plexiglass piece that has an opening size/shape similar to the shield below. Of course, the openings could change with other variables to be perfect, but...

This is also what expensive Goldwings use too, so it must be a proven way to reduce pressure behind the shield. It's also pretty thrifty if it would work: a 3 piece plexiglass set. You could sell them on ADVrider >:)
yes i am aware of calsci screens but shipping 'em to me cost more than the shield itself! lol.

yeah i guess the large gap after raising up the screen is more than enough to relieve the pressure behind the screen lol!

#9 ·
just a quick question - which loctite is tougher, red or blue?

#14 ·
If I were that tall, and I do it anyway at just 6' tall, I'd talk with an owner who can cut the right shield for you like Parabellum or California Scientific: YOU NEED CUSTOM. Another member in LA may have been an inch shorter than you and got a nice looking shield from California Scientific that he said did the job. I was impressed, plus the California Scientific has the opening at the bottom of the screen to relieve the pressure built up behind the screen. Nothing off the shelf would probably fit you.

#12 ·
Just came back from a 100-mile ride.

Good news, yes the turbulent air on the head is gone.
Bad news, i get more air rush hitting the neck and shoulder.

Perhaps i should make a shorter riser so the gap is smaller.

#17 ·
The only thing I don't like about Madstad is paying $200 for adjustable bracket when the optimal wind force structural angle on the shield is usually in-line with the forks. So there are at least 2 shields that systematically do it all with just a shield (for the most part not including edging.)

Being in Australia jacks the price up another $100 unless they do enough business on ebay to have warehouse distributors over here (which it doesn't look like at the moment.) Lots of good shield choices for Vs. 650 owners though, so that is good :)

#18 · (Edited)
I looked at buy a screen once....
If i were to buy another fixed mount screen like the others and was not happy I am screwed.

Many other bikes (Super Tenere, V-Strom etc) use the Madstad Robobracket as a base to mount other screens even standard screen to give them ajustability the rider needs....

I went with something that I could live with and give me options as the standard 3 mount point on a Mk2 Versys does not give me this. and I was not going to pay USD$200+100 ship for a CalSci surfboard only to find it was still buffeting me on the stock mount points.

edit:
I the RoboBrackets have a very LARGE range of movement. I could of got away with buying an 18" screen and still be OK as I have lots of room to move the screen up.

Screen rake angle is further back than fork angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.