Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Home Made GPS / Go Pro Mount

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  TN-Versys 
#1 ·
I was looking at many forums to see if this was out yet and came across two from SW Motech and another from an unknown source.

The SW Motech one had a flat back which I was not keen on and the other was CNC no less but would have set me back by RM480 (USD110) so I decided to give it a go at making one up.

Got these from the local hardware store

Remove the front screen and set them in place, note the existing hole in the windshield mount.

I used a cylindrical piece of wood as the base mount

Once all was roughly assembled I painted the lot in matt black. Note the two wood screws to lock the base mount in position

All done and this is how it looks in the end

This is how it looks from the rider's view

Total cost was around RM30 (less than USD10) and about 4 hours work. How much would you pay for something like that?

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Orient, problem with wood is, in our country's weather + versys's buzz - that wood stick would degrade very quickly and you would have it snap broken anytime.

i would suggest a combo of water pipe with end caps and a generous amount of steel epoxy instead

drill the end caps with a hole in middle, insert a bolt thru from the inside of the caps and fill the insides with epoxy to hold the bolts in place. you would need to prepare 2 bolted caps.

cut the pipes to appropriate length and secure the caps onto both ends of the pipes, again with epoxy to secure it solid. leave to cure for at least 6 hours. i would prefer 24 though.

then just mount the pipe onto your bracketry with nuts and loctites. it would last longer than a wood stick.

#5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, should this clap out I will try it. That is a piece of Merbau hardwood that I have there btw.

Should I go your direction I will have to fill the inside of the pvc pipe with sand at least.

#9 · (Edited)
Everyone here has inspired me to come up with a cost effective GPS mount solution. I'm coming from a v-strom with handlebar ram mount gps. The same set-up on the Versys does not work, the gps sits too low.

After seeing what each of you did on your own, I decide to take a crack at something creative myself, I took a similar approach as orientxpress2, but slightly different.

I mounted a single brace placed inside of the windscreen mounts using outdoor velcro and other hardware to secure. I then cut a 1 inch oak dowel to 7 3/4 in length to attach in between. By mounting the braces on the inside, I'm allowing the dowel to keep pressure on the Velcro while creating an anchor point at the lower triangle point of the windscreen bracket. I still need to polish things up, but overall very pleased with the results.

IMG_0272_zpsg4vbalrv.jpg Photo by TN-Versys | Photobucket

Yes...I do plan to paint or stain the wood and will probably trim up the brace a bit.

Final cost, right around $15 in materials and a couple hours of my time to work things out.

#10 ·
#12 ·
I was looking at many forums to see if this was out yet and came across two from SW Motech and another from an unknown source.

The SW Motech one had a flat back which I was not keen on and the other was CNC no less but would have set me back by RM480 (USD110) so I decided to give it a go at making one up.

Total cost was around RM30 (less than USD10) and about 4 hours work. How much would you pay for something like that?
Neat job - nice one!

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.