Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

eBay-New Design Mirror Bolt Hand Guards Cold Wind Protector

5K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 · (Edited)

They are kind of like those $90 unbreakable Lexan Polycarbonate guards, except they are acrylic and $30. The only thing is they have "metal" brackets from China. It might be worth a $30 gamble. :confused:

It would be a cheap way to complete upper fairing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Design-Mirror-Bolt-Hand-Guards-Cold-Wind-Protector-For-KAWASAKI-Motorcycles/261727543510?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3De45434af43bb4ee7940bbc6d402c24ce%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D261727543510

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah, actually, you can get sheets of polycarbonate pretty cheap and bend them with heat easily (with clamped wood.) And for that matter, change all the "metal" hw with (304 grade) ss. So for less than double the price, you could have some decent hand protectors and wind-chill reducers.

And the cheap original set 'may' last long enough for the economical conversion: finding all the hw pieces. Acrylic is fine in most cases, so if the 'metal' holds up, it just may last longer than expected (or the economical conversion process may be held up indefinitely, in the South anyway - ??)

In effect, the cheap models can provide you the means to copy the Chinese plans for a bargain :) The design is intriguing and would take hours, possibly days to complete, and several iterations to figure out for most people (i.e. - the easiest/cheapest way is usually the best way :)

#8 ·
Yeah true. I was thinking more of the vine or cudzoo getting stuck on the brake lever and make you endo on the trail. I have done that more than once on dirt bikes lol.

#9 ·
I'm betting they're made with left over waste material...cheap stuff from China (or Thailand for that matter) are just that..cheap stuff...I bet those would look really good on a scooter...

:cheers:

if you want cheap..go with those "mitts" that weljo2001 likes...or go with kawdog's suggestion...

#11 · (Edited)
#30 ·
OK guys, what do your calibrated eyeballs tell you on this fit: the clear ebay shield covers onto the Cycra Zeta XC handguards? I'd give up the blinkers on the xc grips for solid coverage/air flow of the clear/tinted covers (plus they look cool.)

They 'look' like standard cover mount-hole spacings on both grips (??)

Smoke Handle Hand Guards Wind Protector Windshield Deflector for Kawasaki Custom | eBay
OK I stand corrected--if you have those Zetta hand guards, those are some really big holes, mind you I think I have seen flies in Northern Ontario that couldn't get through those holes, the same ones that chase the Moose out onto the highway.:grin2:

#14 ·
I say they are not likely to fit. Those ebay ones have the holder extending into the concavity of the shell vs a horizontal bracing on the zetas. You could possibly make them work by using spacers and longer bolts, which would have the shells stand off in front of the zeta brackets. May end up with clearance issues on the windshield or fairing though.

#15 ·
OEM Design / Safety standards

Something that not everyone considers, but you should take into account. If your bike came to a sudden stop and you were going over your bars, will that acrylic or lexan shatter and become a knife and cut you open?
When purchasing Bark busters, I am looking at wind protection, hand protection, protection of the levers and how much do they cost , last thing ,and on the bottom of my list "do they look good"?
If the first 3 score a 9 or 10 and the appearance is a 5, if the price is right--appearance doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the ride.

JMHO

#16 · (Edited)
Here are the cheapo ($14.88 shipped) Hong Kong eBay handguards I just finished installing on the V. As expected, they required a bit of tinkering (drilled a new hole on the left one, made a 1" longer mirror mount bracket out of scrap aluminum for the right).

I have the same ones on my FJR (plasti-dipped black) so I figured they'd do an adequate job blocking the wind on the V. Took it out this 50*F afternoon and had it up to about 80. Wearing non-insulated leather Courtech Latigo gauntlet track gloves, my hands were quite comfortable. They would not have been otherwise using those gloves.

They work fine with the bar end weights, I just had to get a couple M8 course hex cap screws (about $3) that were about 1-1/4" longer. Not even close to having any windscreen clearance issue with the V-Stream. I'll probably leave these smoke with the yellow stripes.

Something that not everyone considers, but you should take into account. If your bike came to a sudden stop and you were going over your bars, will that acrylic or lexan shatter and become a knife and cut you open?
If I were ever sudden-stopped and going endo, the handguards would be the least of my worries. If I did happen to encounter these with my always-gloved hands, I'm guessing that they'd break at the mounting holes (weakest points) and come clean off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.