Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

two toned hugger from pyramid

6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  onewizard 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Yes, I have the pyramid and speedy's link. I got the ABS link, so there would be room to attach that tab on the left in your picture. I did have to do quite a bit of trimming, but I got it to look good.

One thing to note, if the suspension is set too soft, the undertail will contact with the hugger. I found that out the hard way, breaking the hugger. Fixed it with some glue and zip ties. The pyramid looks nice, the lines match with the front fender. However, it's a two-piece design, so it may come unglued. The plastic is kinda cheesy too. I like the look, but not sure I'd purchase again.

#6 ·
Hmmm... I just bought a Pyramid Hugger in Black.
Now hearing about some issues as above... :(

It is 2 piece, but is bolted together with 3 bolts and nyloc nuts - unlike the picture above.

I have already found a manufacturing issue - the 2 parts when together and bolted create a bulge in the the lip on the inside of the mated surfaces that can trap crap thrown by the rear wheel. I'm going to try and see if I can smooth this area out, and maybe put some 3M VHS Double sided tape there to seal it and close the gap.

#9 ·
I really like my Skidmarx hugger...built really well, looks really good, price was reasonable. I picked up a nail in my tire that ended up whacking the hugger a bunch of times. The nail bent, the hugger is literally without a scratch.

#18 ·
too cool...it's as I thought..the mounting screw hole on the right side no longer exists on my bike because of the speedy lowering link (well it's there..it's just being used and is covered by a big hunk of aluminum)...I'd have to do some adjusting to get your hugger to fit...let me know when your riding through..a beer is one me...:cheers:

Attachments

#17 ·
I recently installed the pyramid rear hugger and I didn't have any issues. However, I didn't fully tighten the upper right fastener due to the previous listed reasons. If that fastener becomes problematic, I will just us liquid screw or something to keep it tight and right. Note the black hugger has a blueish tint to it.

#19 ·
Bummer about the lowering kit in the way for the Skidmarx hugger. Looks like you might have go a different route. Thankfully, there are several other options out there.

I'll let you know what my trip is looking like as I plan it more. If it works out to grab a beer, great!:cheers:

#22 · (Edited)

I think using the tap hole behind the lowering kit will do what I need. And Skitmarx may be next if that does not work. Thanks!

Of course, I'll put a UHMW plastic washer on top to help cushion the vibration on the brittle Pyramid hugger assembly (like I did on the stock one without the lowering kit - it worked!)

#24 ·
After reading all the comments over the last couple of years, and comparing prices, I recently bought and installed the Givi hugger for my '09, at a price of $116 I think from Revz... Don't have enough miles on it yet to tell you if there are any issues. I'll bitch again about having to pay over $100 for a $2 pice of moulded plastic. Let me know if anyone want any pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.