Temp gauge - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 02:25 PM

is this Engine Guardian temp gauge screen waterproof? cause I can seem to find any further info...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 08:51 PM

Hi all,

Can anyone provide me what is the size of the radiator hose for 2010 Versys. I am planning to purchase the TTO Temperature Meter
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 PM

You'll need the 22mm adapter kit. $44.95 from cheap cycle parts plus shipping? I ordered mine directly from Trail Tech as I wanted a configuration CCP doesn't sell. I like the product and it's tiny, but perfectly legible & self contained (battery). No light tho. Trail Tech made their money on shipping, $14.54 for ground? Took a week to get from WA.

Lean/Two
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mursili View Post
I do not think that you should be concerned under any conditions.
I tend to agree but I will consider the Bob. I do think the bike warms up more slowly than I'd like, and the lack of a gauge (thread subject ) is a minor annoyance on a great bike. I just got the "owner survey" in the mail from Kawasaki today and I will be sure to let them know about it.

Paul D
SF, CA

'12 Versys (yellow)

Previous bikes:
'04 DL1000
'02 KLR650
'01 Ducati M750
'79 Yamaha XS650
'78 Yamaha XS650
Twins rule!
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Has anyone put a coolant temp gauge on a Versys? I know the KLR has one. Just wondering what my coolant temp is; I will be going to Arizona soon and don't want to damage the engine. The smaller the better, I have an already cramped cockpit area.
Just to share with you mt friend... bought 2 of this and fitted it to my versys, works great. One for oil temp,the other for water...

here's the link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-KOSO-Sli...ht_4246wt_1111

Last edited by doowutchyalike; 08-07-2012 at 10:23 AM.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionjaz View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone provide me what is the size of the radiator hose for 2010 Versys. I am planning to purchase the TTO Temperature Meter
I use this for my versys
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koso-Water-T...#ht_747wt_1344
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 PM

post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 AM

Keep it coming..... I wanna have more selection and ideas.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 PM

I have been wishing for a temp gauge for a long time, but didn't know of a cheap, effective, bolt-on option until I started following this thread. I bought the TTO unit off ebay (thanks to Post#27 above by Seeya) for $43.90.

I mounted the sending unit in the upper radiator hose. The sending unit body is about 3/4", but I only cut about 1/2" out of the hose as the "straight" section of the hose that I mounted it in is barely long enough to accept the spigots of the unit and still fit in place. It was a tight fit!

I mounted the display under my handlebars by making a small aluminum plate that I could stick the display onto, leaving a tab above the display that I could sandwich between my Motowerk bar riser and the handlebar clamp base. (See photos).

It seems to work just fine. I took it for one test ride yesterday and it seemed to settle around 180F on the open road, and reached 198F in town (in 90F ambient).

The unit is small and light and very legible. It has a "feature" that will show you the max temp, alternating with the current temp. Unfortunately this alternating display never goes away. The unit is never off, so this morning the display was still flashing 198F alternating with the current temp. It will reset the max the next time you go above 130F, but I find this "feature" distracting and irritating. Fortunately you can turn off this feature. Unfortunately the button to set the scale (F or C) and the Max feature is on the bottom of the unit. If you use the supplied mounting tape and stick it to a flat surface, you cannot get to the "settings" button. I drilled a hole in my mounting plate so that I could access the button. I turned off the Max feature and am likely to never need to use the settings button again, but I wanted the choice.

The wire leaves the display unit on the right side. I would have preferred that the wire exit out the back of the unit and the settings button be on the front, but, it WAS cheap.

I'm including all this setup information in case any of you are considering mounting this on your dash. It would be harder to do a neat wiring job with the wire coming out of the side, not to mention getting to the settings button.

All in all, I am pleased with the price, performance, appearance and, hopefully, the long-term reliability.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3369.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	15565   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3370.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	15566   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3363.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	15567   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3365.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	15568   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3366.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	15569  

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 PM

Really good install
Now you can get an legitimate idea of cooling system performance for both hot and cold weather operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
I have been wishing for a temp gauge for a long time, but didn't know of a cheap, effective, bolt-on option until I started following this thread. I bought the TTO unit off ebay (thanks to Post#27 above by Seeya) for $43.90.

I mounted the sending unit in the upper radiator hose. The sending unit body is about 3/4", but I only cut about 1/2" out of the hose as the "straight" section of the hose that I mounted it in is barely long enough to accept the spigots of the unit and still fit in place. It was a tight fit!

I mounted the display under my handlebars by making a small aluminum plate that I could stick the display onto, leaving a tab above the display that I could sandwich between my Motowerk bar riser and the handlebar clamp base. (See photos).

It seems to work just fine. I took it for one test ride yesterday and it seemed to settle around 180F on the open road, and reached 198F in town (in 90F ambient).

The unit is small and light and very legible. It has a "feature" that will show you the max temp, alternating with the current temp. Unfortunately this alternating display never goes away. The unit is never off, so this morning the display was still flashing 198F alternating with the current temp. It will reset the max the next time you go above 130F, but I find this "feature" distracting and irritating. Fortunately you can turn off this feature. Unfortunately the button to set the scale (F or C) and the Max feature is on the bottom of the unit. If you use the supplied mounting tape and stick it to a flat surface, you cannot get to the "settings" button. I drilled a hole in my mounting plate so that I could access the button. I turned off the Max feature and am likely to never need to use the settings button again, but I wanted the choice.

The wire leaves the display unit on the right side. I would have preferred that the wire exit out the back of the unit and the settings button be on the front, but, it WAS cheap.

I'm including all this setup information in case any of you are considering mounting this on your dash. It would be harder to do a neat wiring job with the wire coming out of the side, not to mention getting to the settings button.

All in all, I am pleased with the price, performance, appearance and, hopefully, the long-term reliability.

Michael

Last edited by Seeya; 08-30-2012 at 08:46 AM.
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Since you installed digital temperature gauge and mornings are now cold in Nor Cal.
Have you ridden your bike and gotten some idea of warm up performance?

I rode my other bike w/ OEM gauge this morning and it was at ~185 within a couple of miles
of a Blvd commute. I suspect the Versys behaves similarly.

A Temp gauge holds the answer.

Quote:

Michael

Last edited by Seeya; 11-15-2012 at 11:23 AM.
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
Since you installed digital temperature gauge and mornings are now cold in Nor Cal.
Have you ridden your bike and gotten some idea of warm up performance?

I rode my other bike w/ OEM gauge this morning and it was at ~185 within a couple of miles
of a Blvd commute. I suspect the Versys behaves similarly.

A Temp gauge holds the answer.
I have ridden in temps ranging from 29F to over 100F. I haven't paid much attention to warmup temps. I have been more interested in operating temps. The Versys seems to run between 150F and 210F depending on ambient temp. I would say it is a cool running engine.

Michael
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 01:49 PM

I understand where you're coming from.

There has been a lot of discussion about a add on device being needed to "speed up and stabilize" warm up" .
A temperature gauge shows if this is a concern or not.

Quote:
I have ridden in temps ranging from 29F to over 100F. I haven't paid much attention to warmup temps. I have been more interested in operating temps. The Versys seems to run between 150F and 210F depending on ambient temp. I would say it is a cool running engine.

Michael
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Michael
See "Thermo-Bob"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
I understand where you're coming from.

There has been a lot of discussion about a add on device being needed to "speed up and stabilize" warm up" .
A temperature gauge shows if this is a concern or not.
Again - see "Thermo-Bob"... at http://www.watt-man.com/ . Go to "INFORMATION ARTICLES" and read up on the Thermo-Bob. That will explain WHY it's necessary, and HOW it overcomes the design fault.

(I've installed 3 of them, KLR and 2 Vs.)

Ed

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, and Inuvik, June '15
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=83034
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
See "Thermo-Bob"....
X2

Look at the information from the link that fasteddiecopeman provides. The measurement has been made and it shows that a bypass is required in cool ambient temperatures to achieve reasonable warm-up.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 PM

Do you have a temperature gauge on you're versys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
See "Thermo-Bob"....

Again - see "Thermo-Bob"... at http://www.watt-man.com/ . Go to "INFORMATION ARTICLES" and read up on the Thermo-Bob. That will explain WHY it's necessary, and HOW it overcomes the design fault.

(I've installed 3 of them, KLR and 2 Vs.)
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM

No - I figured that the combination of the "Thermo-Bob" and the red overheat light on the dash would be just fine. I know Bill, and knowing how much testing he did with thermo-couples, etc, I am quite happy without the gauge.

Ed

My KLR trip to Alaska, YT, NWT and BC in summer 2009
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69383

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, and Alaska, June '13
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33153

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, and Inuvik, June '15
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=83034
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode