Footpeg lowering - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Footpeg lowering

Hi: anyone here with experience with Moto-Werk's footpeg lowering block? I am 6' 2'' and find the knees position to be a bit cramped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:08 PM

Garage
I'm 6'2" also and the lowering blocks and mirror extenders from speedy were the first things i did to my V the blocks lower the pegs over an inch. I didn't think it would make that big a difference but i've got bad knees & old age and it was a big relief to me.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I'm 6'2" also and the lowering blocks and mirror extenders from speedy were the first things i did to my V the blocks lower the pegs over an inch. I didn't think it would make that big a difference but i've got bad knees & old age and it was a big relief to me.
Am 6 3 gonna do that myself...... I am old too 40

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 PM

I'm 6' and also found the riding position cramped. Speedy's kit made a huge difference for me. Much more comfortable now.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:49 PM

Do you notice if it splays the pegs wider? Are you able to adjust the shifter and brake to make it feel natural?

Have you noticed any loss of ground clearance in the corners?

Thanks,

Paul Streeter
Minnesota
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streeter View Post
Do you notice if it splays the pegs wider? Are you able to adjust the shifter and brake to make it feel natural?

Thanks,

Paul Streeter
Minnesota
I'm 6' 2" and put the Speedy's lowering blocks on my 2008 Versys. It lowers the pegs straight down and made the leg room much more comfortable. The mirror extenders were an excellent addition as well.

Adjusting the brakes and shifter was no problem. The only minor issue I have with adjusting the shifter with the lowering blocks installed is that when I lower it enough to have the feel I like while upshifting I sometimes have trouble getting the bike into neutral when the kickstand is down. It's a very minor occasional inconvenience given the extra leg room.

I haven't scraped the pegs while cornering but I'm not a real aggressive cornerer so I may not be a great judge of that. Although I do see that my tires are scrubbed across their entire contact area so I can't be that upright all the time.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streeter View Post

Thanks,

Paul Streeter
Minnesota
No.

Yes.

No - I've dragged my 'peg feelers several times SINCE I installed the 'peg lowering kit, but that takes a VERY aggressive turn-in...! (and near scared the poop out of me the FIRST time!)

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:21 PM

I've got the MotoWerk lowering pegs and I'm 6'3". Big improvement in comfort for my knees. They did make my feet stick out a tad more as I was no longer able to put part of my foot on the peg mount itself since the pegs are now a few inches lower than the peg mount. Using pliers I pulled the brake lever out a little bit to compensate for this.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:25 PM

Garage
I'm 5'11" and shrinking (). The lowering blocks made a nice
difference for me. They lessen' the cramp in my old knees.
No problems with cornering , shifting or braking.

Ride while you can
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Thanks for your replies, guys. I put Buell dropped footpegs on my ZRX and noticed a couple of things. First, it spreads my legs out an extra inch, just because you can't use the peg mount as part of the peg anymore. Second, I've just never gotten the shifter and brake adjusted to feel natural. Maybe I'll try the Buell pegs on the Versys just to give it a try.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 PM

Speedy's foot peg lowering blocks is (are?) one of the best things I've done for my Versys. Done wonders for comfort and cramp reduction for my not-yet- old 67 year legs.

Adjusting the gearshift linkage didn't pose any problems; however, the brake pedal (when asjusted according to Speedy's instructions) is a bit low for my taste. Cleverly, Speedy now offers a small bit of linkage to remedy that issue. Guess what the next Speedy's order is going to include.

I also swapped the stock foot pegs for Kawa Concours 14 pegs and am very pleased with the change. They provide a larger and more comfortable platform for my size 11 boots.

My two cents for what it's worth.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Due to old beat up knees I did the lowering blocks AND a Seat Concepts saddle in +1 foam. I think my Versys has MORE leg room than my KLR offers now. I just did a 400 mile round trip on Saturday and had NO pain to either knees OR tush.

I'M 6' with a 30" inseam and wieght in right at 200 geared up. The saddle is very firm but I'd rather have that than one that's a litte too soft.

Only down side to the block is getting the shifter and brake levers back the way I like them. You'd be suprised how little having the shifter off to low or high will mess up your shifting. I ended up missing shifts on my trip so tweaked it up about a 1/4" and no more missed up shifts. I had it a tad too low and it couldn't return all the way down with my toe in the way. BUT it's a easy tweak all you need is the 10mm wrench from your tool kit.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 PM

Motowerk's pegs

I just installed my lowering blocks from motowerk's today. Much better leg position. I was apprehensive, to believe that lowering that little amount, would make such a difference. It did. Glad I listened. Thanks!

Last edited by Mooseman72; 10-14-2012 at 10:01 PM.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
i'm 6'2" also and the lowering blocks and mirror extenders from speedy were the first things i did to my v the blocks lower the pegs over an inch. I didn't think it would make that big a difference but i've got bad knees & old age and it was a big relief to me.
+1

lop
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM

Installed Motowerks blocks last night. Haven't had a chance to test ride it yet, but something bothers me; the gearshift lever seems "wobbley" and the left peg rotates a few degrees, pivoting where it attaches to the frame.
Is this normal? Should I be concerned? The right peg doesn't move at all.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM

I don't think it's right. Did you check the bolt that holds the peg on? You can see it here (#92150A) you need to pull the plate and check it. I bet it's loose. And when you pull it might as well grease the pivot for the shifter as well.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 04-05-2013 at 09:14 AM.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 PM

I found that after reassembling the whole left bracket and peg the movement went away! Removing the mount from the bracket and retightening everything seemed to fix it. Bike is so much more comfortable to ride now.
Oh, and while I was at it, I cleaned and regreased the shifter pivot, per your suggestion.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 11:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I found that after reassembling the whole left bracket and peg the movement went away! Removing the mount from the bracket and retightening everything seemed to fix it. Bike is so much more comfortable to ride now.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 AM

6'5" here, and with the installation of the seat concepts kit it makes my Versys extremely comfortable for any amount of riding.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 AM

I fitted speedy's blocks to mine. Made a big difference. Only problem was my bike got knocked over by a car when it was on the side stand. It fell to the right and broke the peg mounting lugs of the side housing. The blocks don't really allow the peg to swing up. I rewelded the lugs back on ok. I saw some zx14 cnc lowered foot pegs on eBay. This would now be my preferred choice. The peg will still be able to swing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode