Footpeg lowering - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Was it hard adjusting the clutch and brake after installing the lowering blocks for the pegs? I've had the lowering blocks for two years and haven't put them on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcampana View Post
Was it hard adjusting the clutch and brake after installing the lowering blocks for the pegs? I've had the lowering blocks for two years and haven't put them on.

You don't adjust the clutch... but the gear shifter was very easy to adjust, took less than 3 minutes and I know absolutely nothing about mechanical do-ja-ma-thingys and thing-a-ma-jigs.

I didn't even need to adjust the brake pedal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
You don't adjust the clutch... but the gear shifter was very easy to adjust, took less than 3 minutes and I know absolutely nothing about mechanical do-ja-ma-thingys and thing-a-ma-jigs.

I didn't even need to adjust the brake pedal.
Same here: shift lever is a simple adjustment, and my rear brake pedal needed no adjustment.

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 PM

I meant gear shifter. Thanks for the info fellas.

post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 04:05 PM

Could someone supply s link to Speedy's kit. I am wanting to try this out myself before trading my V for a bigger bike. I'm 6' 2" with 34 inch inseam and my knees get crampy within 20 minutes time.

Thanks!

Nevermind. Didn't realize Speedy is Motowerks.

Last edited by blazblu82; 12-20-2015 at 04:07 PM.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 04:56 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
Could someone supply s link to Speedy's kit. I am wanting to try this out myself before trading my V for a bigger bike. I'm 6' 2" with 34 inch inseam and my knees get crampy within 20 minutes time.

Thanks!

Nevermind. Didn't realize Speedy is Motowerks.
we are in the same boat lol, i find myself sitting on the passenger seat or standing alot when im riding solo, i think adding some padding to the seat could help you as well if the peg lowering doesnt work by its self

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
we are in the same boat lol, i find myself sitting on the passenger seat or standing alot when im riding solo, i think adding some padding to the seat could help you as well if the peg lowering doesnt work by its self
I did look at it and I don't think it's gonna add enough to make me comfortable. I used the moto ergo site to estimate where the lowering blocks would put my feet. I only gain a degree or 2 in knees and hips.

I've used the same ergo site to "test fit" other bikes. Believe it or not, the HD 1200 Custom has the most room compared to other bikes stock.

I did see highway pegs for the V. Anyone use those for highway travel? Do they make the ride more comfortable? I'd rather keep the V than trade it off with negative equity.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Some values from the Moto Ergo Site based on 6' 2" and 34" inseam.

Stock: Hip Angle = 88* Knee Angle = 75*
MotoWerk Lowering Block at 1.25" down (1.3" per website): Hip Angle = 92* (+4*) Knee Angle = 80* (+5*)
MotoWerk Hiway Pegs at 17" forward and 2" up per website: Hip Angle = 73* (-15*) Knee Angle = 101* (+26*)

Last edited by blazblu82; 12-20-2015 at 07:36 PM.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Biz

I bolted them up last weekend and they felt good immediately. I'm 6' tall, 34" inseam. The stock height was totally fine for average saddle time, but this will take some stress off when logging many hours in the saddle. I had my meniscus removed and that knee has never been the same since. I'm close to 56 years old and the joints aren't what they used to be. See pic of my leg angle with Speedy Lowering Pegs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	77321  

Last edited by Biz; 12-20-2015 at 07:50 PM. Reason: pic added
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 07:56 PM

If I can get the seat raised by an inch in addition to the lowering blocks, the bike may be good enough for longer trips.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 11:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streeter View Post
Do you notice if it splays the pegs wider? Are you able to adjust the shifter and brake to make it feel natural?

Have you noticed any loss of ground clearance in the corners?

Thanks,

Paul Streeter
Minnesota
No

Yes

No

I have scraped the peg feelers sometimes, but only just and it was on a track. And my bike is lowered as well.
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If I can get the seat raised by an inch in addition to the lowering blocks, the bike may be good enough for longer trips.
My experiences (on an '08 and '09) are that the peg-lowering in conjunction w/ raising the front of my seats by 9/16" made all the difference in the world for my knees (32" inseam), but NOT nearly as necessary on my '15 which has the 'pegs a bit lower (and forward...?) from Kawi. I DID raise the '15s seat front, AND installed the lowering blocks I pulled off my '09, however. LOTS of room now.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My experiences (on an '08 and '09) are that the peg-lowering in conjunction w/ raising the front of my seats by 9/16" made all the difference in the world for my knees (32" inseam), but NOT nearly as necessary on my '15 which has the 'pegs a bit lower (and forward...?) from Kawi. I DID raise the '15s seat front, AND installed the lowering blocks I pulled off my '09, however. LOTS of room now.
Well, I may give the blocks a try then. Thx!
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:09 AM

I put speedy blocks on my 2010 and rode it like that for 5 years. It went from sports bike type bend to way more comfy.
Purchased a 2015 in November and even though the new pegs are lower, I took the lowering blocks off my old bike just in case. After a week's trial I decided to fit the blocks on my new bike. What a difference. All day comfy knees now. Best $50 I've spent
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:11 AM

And it put the brake pedal in a better position for me. The original position ment I had to push the pedal down a long way to work. Now I hardly need any pressure at all
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:15 AM

Quote:
How do I raise the front of the seat? Does it involve raising the ear of the gas tank? Would be nice not having the boys smashed against the gas tank.

I think this coming payday, I'm going to get the lowering blocks and mirror extenders. I would like to hold onto this bike if I can; however, if the mods don't work out, I'll be back on a cruiser this summer.

However, when you look like I do on this bike, a bigger bike seems to be the better option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mynewversys.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	78649  
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:51 AM

Garage
Versys 1000 would suit you better IMO
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I'm 6'2" with long legs. I did the BMW 1150RT seat mod which raises the seat height about an inch and makes it so much more butt-friendly. Peg lowering blocks have been ordered which should complete the transformation.

ProGrip 714 grips have been an improvement for hand comfort as well.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...However, when you look like I do on this bike, a bigger bike seems to be the better option.
You look pretty good on there to ME...!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
You look pretty good on there to ME...!

Thanks.

I might go sit on a new 650 LT model. One thing I really regret when I got this bike was not getting something with storage. I hate backpacks. The 650 LT might be the bike I am looking for. However, that Vulcan 650 S looks pretty damn good, too.

If I am going to get a liter+ bike, it will have to be a cruiser. Sportbike insurance will sky rocket.

Anywho, I will try the lowering blocks and see about raising the seat some. If that works out, I'll keep the bike and save for luggage. Too bad Kaw doesn't sell the side luggage for the 2011 model anymore. I can still get the top case; but the side luggage isn't available.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 04:40 AM

They're the same boxes as the Givi V35 and you can get bracket as well from Givi or SW Motech (Twisted Throttle) so they bolt right on.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode