What type soft saddle bags are best? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

1Likes
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to demenshea Send a message via Yahoo to demenshea
What type soft saddle bags are best?

Has anyone used these Givi soft saddle bags on the Versys?

Do bags like these need a frame to keep them away from the rear tyre, or do they simply hang out of the way.

I got a top box on my 09, but feel the need for a little something else.

Suggestions??

Also is the top box a bit unwieldily even if packed with just light stuff?

I am coming off a bandit1250 which with the Givi top box is seriously top heavy! I am wondering what to expect with the Versys factory set up box.

Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 PM

I don't know if they are the best or not, but I just now added some Motocentric saddle bags and tail bag. I really like the way they fit and the quality seems great. I did remove the grab handles to get them to fit to suit me. Hope this helps.

Also, with these, I don't see the need for any type of extra support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1003.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	14085   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1006.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	14086  

Current rides:
2011 Versys
1995 CR 250 (Sold)
2005 Honda Recon(Sold)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 PM

Garage
I have the Givi E-55 Topcase and have loaded it down with no problems. i also have a set of fieldsheer softbags i use on long trips and a saddleman bag i use on the passenger seat when needed makes a nice back rest also. http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAQ#ps-sellers

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys, this is just the sort of info I was interested in receiving. I thought about one of these on the passenger seat, but was a bit concerned about having too much weight up top, so started considering the other Givi bags. Maybe I don't need anymore than the top box, but I fear, that just won't be enough space for a Gilligan's Island 2 hour tour.

I like taking my laptop to store photos and that's just one of the superfluous things I carry! Gotta have hair gel!!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 AM

I also use a Givi 40L topcase for everyday use, and Cortech soft saddlebags (17L each) for longer trips. I also have the Cortech soft tail bag that was purchased before the Givi hard topcase. Never had the need to use all at once. Amazing how little space is needed when you pack/choose efficiently.

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
The Ogio bags look great but the zippers suck. Stay away from those..LOL

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 01:38 PM

I've got Chase Harper ET4000 bags on my 09. Wouldn't trade them for the world. Nice fix or replace warranty too.

2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (sold)
2004 Suzuki SV650 (sold, wish I hadn't)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (commuter/dragon slayer)
Future bike: Ducati Sport 1000S (just because
)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 PM

I have Givi soft saddle bags and a Givi tail roll bag. They are well made, well designed and very roomy. Never had a problem with them and I have very little sag into the rear wheel as they are semi rigid even without a bag support.

07 Kawasaki Versys + Farkles
MRA Vario Windscreen, Acerbis Dual Road Handgaurds + LEDs, Oxford Heated Grips, Xenon & LED Headlight, Tail Light Flasher, Moto Werk Flat Foot, Mirror Extenders & Foot Peg Lowering Blocks, Rad Gaurd, Fenda Extender, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, Stebel Nautilus Airhorn, T Rex Frame Sliders, Extended Rear Spools, Monster Energy Tank Protector, Magnitic Drain Plug, 12V Power Port, Tom Tom GPS, Xena XX14 Lock Alarm, Givi 409, 464, 449 Bags & Monokey Rack + Kappa 48L Case
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Here is my setup -
RKA paniers, a bit old, and less capacity than the Givi's you linked(those look nice, btw). I posted pics of the anchor points, it stays put, just fine.
A medium sized Wolfman duffle sits above it. That Givi one looks good, too.
The bike feels a bit top heavy with my stuff on it, at walking speeds or less, but I'm short, and weigh a hundred & nothin. Once moving, it's not an issue, and it's a nimble bike.

Name:	paniers 1.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	14098

Name:	paniers 2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	14099

Name:	paniers 3.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	14100
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxvegasMike View Post
I've got Chase Harper ET4000 bags on my 09. Wouldn't trade them for the world. Nice fix or replace warranty too.
Hey Mike,
You got a pic of your bike with the bags on it? Do you use supports for the bags?

Mark Jags

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 PM

i like ortlieb saddlebags and duffel. nice to have bags that are waterproof, just like that givi rolltop. i'd rather not fumble around with raincovers. that's the same reason i wear waterproof kit, no stopping for rainsuits.

as for being too heavy... if you load up a pair saddlebags + topbox + duffel on the saddle, you may have the equivalent of a really, really, light passenger. not to worry, just dial up the preload and ride.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>

Last edited by kevrider; 03-18-2012 at 06:07 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
as for being too heavy... if you load up a pair saddlebags + topbox + duffel on the saddle, you may have the equivalent of a really, really, light passenger. not to worry, just dial up the preload and ride.
Thanks everyone...lots of great information here. I am still vacillating between hard and soft bags. The soft Givi bags will arrive tomorrow. That will probably help my decision. Though not waterproof, the inside liner to the bag is! Nothing worse than being soaked and going for dry clothes only to discover that they too are wet!

Thanks for the preload info...i nearly forgot about that!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Don't forget to treat the zippered sections occasionally... The real problem with soft bags (as far as waterproofing goes) is the "maintenance".

I always forgot about it on my nelson riggs and ride rain or shine... Bad news for anything I had in the bags!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to brokenhat
Hi, wondering if you got the soft Givi bags and if so what are your thoughts please? Also a pic on the bike would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
2012 Versys, Vario ws, Barkbuster Storms, lowering blocks, flatfoot, Zumo GPS, Givi soft side bags, Axio tail bag, Wolfman Express tank bag
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiablo View Post
I have Givi soft saddle bags and a Givi tail roll bag. They are well made, well designed and very roomy. Never had a problem with them and I have very little sag into the rear wheel as they are semi rigid even without a bag support.
Eldiablo - Are you still happy with the Givi's?

I have the Givi rack so shouldn't have any trouble with the sag.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Eldiablo - Are you still happy with the Givi's?

I have the Givi rack so shouldn't have any trouble with the sag.

I used a heavy duty zip tie on the handles to take up the sag....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr
Turk likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I used a heavy duty zip tie on the handles to take up the sag....
Nice

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode