Any experience with gel pads? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Any experience with gel pads?

I had the seat redone by Seat Concepts. The seat is better than the stocker, but I think I can get some more comfort and don't want to start dropping a lot of cash. I found this Mad Dog cushion on Amazon Prime for a cheap price and had a combined 81% 4/5 star rating, over 500 reviews. Any thoughts?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1RtB1TR07L.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

I bought a gel seat-cover (for an ATV, I believe, and cheap) from Walmart years ago. I used it a bit, but haven't for a LON-N-N-G time. Just my 2 cents.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:32 PM

I don't know about an external pad (I've never used one of those) but I always put a gel pad in the stock seat if it stays on the bike. I shaved the riders "pocket" foam down to almost the seat pan then inset a 3/4" gel pad. Added 1" of foam to the front 6-8" of the seat and then covered it all with 1/2" low density foam to hide my flaws. Re-stretched the cover and it works well.

I have used an Air Hawk a few times but it just doesn't feel quite right. Felt much better on a Vulcan cruiser.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:15 AM

have a gel pad installed in my seat and it works well for long distance ride. So far, not much of a complain but than if you are riding above 700Km per day, which we do most of the time. it does hurt a bit.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:12 PM

My wife and I travel cross country alot on my Harley softail, which has a mustang seat(best seat made in my opinion). After a couple of hours in the saddle, she starts complaining about her butt hurting, or going numb. I don/t have that problem until 10-12 hours riding. She has spent a small fortune buying just about every type pad there is, firm gel, soft gel, foam, air etc. I bought a genuine sheep skin rug, which is the full pelt from a sheep, and just lay it over the top of the seat. Head end to the front, tail end to the rear. It was a big improvement for her, and I could tell a big difference myself. It will continue to be comfortable if you brush it out with a course hair brush when it gets matted. make sure It's real sheep skin, not faux.
This isn't where I bought mine, but these are at a very good price $60-$80. I paid over $100 for mine, but I bought it in a shop in Cherokee NC. what you want is the 1 pelt rug. go to this link, and scroll down to the third line of pictures. line 3,4,5,and 6 are what you want.
Sheepskin Pelts Hides Rugs & Throws - Shearling Sheepskins
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

You can also buy a sheepskin at IKEA.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

I rode about 150 miles with the Mad Dog gel pad today and had no problems. Felt much better. I was also wearing some Drayko Renegade jeans with Kevlar protection. They are very comfortable.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You can also buy a sheepskin at IKEA.
Had one of those

Removed it because all the lub and general sh*t of the road were seriously compromizing the virginal white fur ... But it did felt good !

LOP
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
...virginal white fur ... But it did felt good !...LOP
Phil - "...VIRGINAL WHITE FUR..."?

I'm starting to wonder about YOU...!

Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

..)

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 02:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Phil - "...VIRGINAL WHITE FUR..."?

I'm starting to wonder about YOU...!

As long as you don't call the farmer's police on me

LOP
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Had one of those

Removed it because all the lub and general sh*t of the road were seriously compromizing the virginal white fur ... But it did felt good !

LOP
It felt good? does that mean it's no longer (virginal) white fur? lol
The fur I have is black. It can be washed and combed.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

I've used this IKEA sheep-skin over quite a few miles (on my '09), and I MIGHT try it again this summer on a cross-Canada ride....

And it AIN'T "VIRGINAL WHITE" PHIL...!

Ed

..)

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've used this IKEA sheep-skin over quite a few miles (on my '09), and I MIGHT try it again this summer on a cross-Canada ride....

And it AIN'T "VIRGINAL WHITE" PHIL...!

Whatever gets the job done. The whole seat topic is subjective and can be costly to figure out what works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode