2015-17 windscreen mod - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

2015-17 windscreen mod

Just read this modification to the stock windscreen on ADVRIDER.COM and was curious as to whether any of you have tried it? I've not gone out to look at the set-up, but these instructions are a little confusing. Any clarification would be appreciated.

JH in OH

Some have tried, myself included, raising the stock screen so the top-most stop is actually above the windscreen bracket (you'll need to loosen the adjustment knobs almost all the way,
and be mindful to keep the shims/washers in place, you'll see em).
The screen is plenty stable in this position and quiets things considerably for me around my helmet. Not perfect, but better.
It also allows slightly more air under the screen to benefit venting in the heat but not enough to ruin the protection in colder weather.
I run mine this way now and it's free

...I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days...and nights for that matter...and it is one of my finest addictions...
--- Hunter S. Thompson 1995 ---

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS, 2012 Triumph Thruxton, 2003 Ducati M800Sie, 2001 BMW R1100R-L, 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, 1996 Harley XLH Sportster S, 1972 Yamaha XS-2

Last edited by bluesman77; 04-01-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman77 View Post
Just read this on ADVRIDER.COM and curious as to whether any of you have tried this? I've not gone out to look at the set-up, but these instructions are a little confusing. Any clarification would be appreciated.

JH in OH

MLJ said: ↑
Has anyone tried any of the aftermarket replacement windshields available? I have a 2015 Versys 650 LT, and love the bike, but would like it better with a taller shield, and would like to keep the handguards, which seem to interfere with a larger (wider) shield. I found one that was made by a company called Piug, (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...s-6501000-2015), and after reading the reviews one person said his hand guards bump into the larger fairing at full lock. I did some measuring and can see how this would happen. There are 2 other options I could find, one made by Givi, that says it is designed for the 650 LT, therefore I would hope they realize the problem with the wide fairing bumping into the handguards at full lock, and another one is the MRA VarioTouringScreen For Kawasaki Versys 650 LT & ABS '15-'16 & Versys 1000 LT '15-'16, it looks like it should work, but is more expensive. Sorry if this is already talked about in the thread, but it is getting really long, although I did try to search on the thread.

Some have tried, myself included, raising the stock screen so the top-most stop is actually above the windscreen bracket (you'll need to loosen the adjustment knobs almost all the way,
and be mindful to keep the shims/washers in place, you'll see em).
The screen is plenty stable in this position and quiets things considerably for me around my helmet. Not perfect, but better.
It also allows slightly more air under the screen to benefit venting in the heat but not enough to ruin the protection in colder weather.
I run mine this way now and it's free
I saw that comment on Revzilla. I can't speak for the 650, but I have a 2017 V1000 and installed that same screen, Puig 5999. No obstruction at any height adjustment at full lock.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Lurch, but what I'm wanting to know about is the modification to a stock windscreen one respondent posted. Again, thanks for your responding.

...I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days...and nights for that matter...and it is one of my finest addictions...

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS, 2012 Triumph Thruxton, 2003 Ducati M800Sie, 2001 BMW R1100R-L, 1999 Kawasaki KLR650, 1996 Harley XLH Sportster S, 1972 Yamaha XS-2

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Okay people, I just went out to the building where I keep the bike and was able to perform the gentleman's modification in just about a minute - maybe less. Just loosen the knobs a fair amount, don't need to be all the way, leaves enough play in order to get the stop up & over the slot, align the guides & tighten the knobs. I'm guessing the top is now over 1 1/2" higher than "normal" high & can go even higher. It's pretty wintry here, so I'll not be able to evaluate the change for a few days - so I'm still curious as to if any you have done &, if so, how it affected wind noise.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:09 PM

Garage
I read somewhere of someone doing this, but I've not tried it. I'd think that if you get the windshield too high, you'll have a huge gap a the bottom, and not sure if that would defeat the purpose of raising it. I'm interested to hear your results.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 06:41 PM

Garage
I am the one who actually wrote that review of it not fitting on revzilla. I still have the windshield which is great, but when raised you really have to watch the hand-guards. I have tried adjusting the hand-guards with no such luck in every position. I heard Puig was going to shorten the width up but it does not appear that they have.

I would still recommend the screen but if you have a tight spot to park it in and need to make a lot of small turns like I do when parking in the garage, I would say be careful.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

james75

Will do, but it may be a few days before the weather co-operates. The person who wrote about this modification stated that the gap at the bottom didn't seem to hurt things that much. My only concern is reducing wind noise w/ the stock windshield at this point.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette96 View Post
I am the one who actually wrote that review of it not fitting on revzilla. I still have the windshield which is great, but when raised you really have to watch the hand-guards. I have tried adjusting the hand-guards with no such luck in every position. I heard Puig was going to shorten the width up but it does not appear that they have.

I would still recommend the screen but if you have a tight spot to park it in and need to make a lot of small turns like I do when parking in the garage, I would say be careful.
Sorry to hear that. I actually had a friend that just installed the Puig 5999 on his 2016 V650 today and did not have the same problem or issues.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Have you tried rotating the handlebar rearward slightly in its clamps to get the handguards further away?

Quote:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:09 PM

Garage
Yes and it did help slightly because it was horrific at first, but they still hit pretty good. I wonder if Puig did shorten the width because some people were saying it doesn't hit at all, unless they raised their whole windshield bracket.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - I just checked my Gen 3 650LT which has 2" ROX Risers set so the bars are DIRECTLY ABOVE the stock location, and I have a PUIG 5999 'shield (early one, I believe).

FULL turn on the bars has the hand-guards JUST touching the PUIG in BOTH left and right turns, but NOT 'forcing' the 'shield to move, OR distort.

Hope this helps....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 12:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
...I heard Puig was going to shorten the width up but it does not appear that they have...
They did redesign it actually, I've had both shields in my hand and compared them. I think I even posted a pic a few months ago. Maybe you got an old-stock one, or maybe for your particular arrangement even the narrower shield is still too wide.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:18 AM

FWIW for anyone who searches this later, the Puig screen and Givi hand guards play nice together. MK3 Puig windscreen and Givi handguards

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l., MSTA

Mods/Farkles: Puig "Touring" windscreen, Givi hand guards, BMW Sport Grips, Omni-Cruise throttle lock, Motowerk mirror extenders, SW-Motech gas cap mount tankbag, Denali Mini Soundbomb horn, Mag-Knight tank pad, SW-Motech steel luggage rack, SW-Motech Quick-Lock Evo side racks, Givi E-22 side cases, Givi V-47 top case, Motorwerk side stand foot, Motowerk highway peg set-up, SW-Motech wide foot pegs, SW-Motech GPS shelf, decalectomy

Last edited by Doug Just Doug; 05-01-2017 at 09:19 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

It's been a while, but I was able to test out the stock windshield w/ the top stop above the bracket - a good 1 1/2" higher than the highest stock position. It's been extremely windy here in NE OH & making it hard to evaluate properly, but there is a definite noise reduction. The 1st time I tried it at the lowest setting w/ the modification & noticed my face shield was pretty buggy when I got back. The next time I raised it as high as it could go, again w/ the modification which raised the screen another inch or so. Also very windy, but things seemed a little bit quieter & when I got back noticed bugs on my helmet from the top of my face, but none on the shield itself. It's forecast to be 84 here today, so I'll get a chance to evaluate warm weather riding w/ the mod. The increased gap at the bottom of the screen doesn't seem to be a problem, though I really don't care for the "look".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode