Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

dummy's guide to lowering the front end?

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Brad906 
#1 ·
Bike: 2017 650 LT

Question: how to lower the front end after installing lowering block in the rear?

I’m a rookie when it comes to wrenchin’ so take it easy on me… but how do you “set up” the bike to lower the front end after installing Motowerk’s lowering block in the rear?

Motowerk’s instructions:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...ring_Front_Suspension.pdf?3493357159767210442

Do you have the bike on the side stand?

Do you support the bike via the handlebars?

Use a paddock rear stand?

Must you have no weight on the front wheel?

How do you raise one side at a time if the bike has weight on the front wheel? Will the individual forks raise separately?

I have searched including youtube but can’t find anything to give basic information (pictures or video) on how to lower the front end. All the videos I have seen say “loosen this bolt, loosen that bolt, and lower the front.” Never do they show it actually being done.

My apologies if might seem basic to some but I don’t want to jack my new Versys by dropping the front end down to the wheel.

Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#3 ·
As mentioned already.....barring proper stands, don't try it alone!

One side at a time!! Measure your desired drop on the tube, below the lower triple clamp. Mark it, apply tape or a hose clamp. Loosen all but one pinch bolt while a strong helper unweights the front wheel pulling towards/against the side stand. Stand down of course. Loosen the last bolt -slowly- while applying a bit of weight for the fork to slide up in the clamp. When in position, snug that bolt and the next most accessible. Finalize torque on all bolts...Repeat!

Not alway perfect to avoid binding but if done equally it's as good as it left the assembly line!

#4 ·
Loosen all but one pinch bolt while a strong helper unweights the front wheel pulling towards/against the side stand. Stand down of course. Loosen the last bolt -slowly- while applying a bit of weight for the fork to slide up in the clamp. When in position, snug that bolt and the next most accessible. Finalize torque on all bolts...Repeat!
So attempt to have more pressure/weight on the fork you are not moving? Am I understanding this towards/against method correctly?

Thanks.

#5 ·
Just lighten the front as if trying to lift it off the floor using the stand as a third wheel. Once bolts are loose, let the weight come back to the wheel,-slowly- pushing the tube upward. Leaving one side tight keeps the front from collapsing fully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.