Cant take the Buffeting!!! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Cant take the Buffeting!!!

I apologize in advance if this had been previously discussed. I could not find info on my year model+height:

I own a 2016 Versys 650LT. Im 6ft 2in tall. (need to find my inseam still) Riding on the highest adjustment on OEM windscreen I get massive buffeting. Real bad above 50 mph. Wind hits me in the top 1/4 of my helmet and turns me in to a high speed bobble head. I've looked at CalSci windscreens, Givi etc.. (just as the majority of us have). Any riders around my height have a solid experience with a windscreen that has a nice air pocket to ride in. If you do please tell me your height and what brand and height(inches) windscreen worked best for you. Thanks!

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:42 PM

Garage
I am 6'6" and I have the Puig Touring screen on mine... good screen, in nice weather I can leave my visor open.

It's not as "big" and "dead" an air pocket as I had on my old KLR behind a Madstad screen, but for half the price it's pretty damn good.
A HUGE improvement over the stocker, but I can't recommend the Dark Smoke unless your are tall enough to always be looking over it!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ersys-650-1000

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Big Chuck. You've definitely got some height on me. I'm assuming id be looking through the screen in my normal seating position. The smoke looks sweet but id be blind at night. I do enjoy seeing over my windscreen but I also need some more protection than OEM.. I guess that's the trade off, height vs. visibility over top.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Full Available height??

Are you at the full available height of the screen? You can get about another 1 3/4 " above the mounting brackets. For me at was too high as I am now 5'6" and I was always looking through the shield. What I am saying is, loosen the shield so that the bar with 2 bolts attached to the screen has the upper most bolt above the support brackets. I ran like that for several 100KM, very stable, just didn't like looking at dead bugs.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Good point onewizard. No, I haven't moved the actual brackets up they are on their factory position still. I will give that a try. I have a feeling if I want to really reduce the buffeting issue I'm going to need to look in to around 20' Screen. I will try raising OEM first though. Thank you! Also, just for reference to anybody reading at the max adjustable height of the normal bracket setting I look well over the top of the screen. I almost cant physically duck down far enough to get in to clean air.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:42 PM

Garage
Heres a thread i started with videos using the new windscreen...I'm 6'2" 32"inseam most the time its in the lowest setting if i do more freeway i raise it up some....V-Stream Windscreen for Versys 650/1000

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 PM

The Givi should work fine for 6'2" adjusted about half way up. I'm 6'0" and am happy with the windshield in the lowest position for the most part. I like to see over the top and it perfect at that position. As I reported recently, I'm thrilled with the difference, not just the buffeting, but also the noise is really mostly gone. I even ride with my helmet visor up. The most noise you hear is the humming of your engine! A bargain at $117.00 too!
Kzen, aboyandhisversys and Duffy like this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

I had another guy with the same bike question the adjustment, when fully up, the knob is at the very top of the support bracket slot, you really need to back out the knobs to get the upper screen bolt past the support slot.Having looked at the for sale, I was really tempted, however two things bother me , Madstad calls for a 16" screen and the width, my bark busters just miss hitting the shield and my GoPro also just misses the shield. With my new helmet I really don't notice the turbulence.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:54 PM

I'm 6-7 and have the Puig like Big Chuck only in smoke. I have no problems.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:58 AM

Yes it has been asked and answered before, but like you I'm too lazy to search.

Just buy a "madstad".
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:53 AM

Garage
Here you go. 20 inch screen (51cm). They can make any colour you like, I chose light smoked. Cheapest on the market i could find, quality is good. Came all the way from Poland to Australia in 2 weeks.

KAWASAKI KLE 1000 VERSYS (2015 - Onwards) TOURING WINDSCREEN WINDSHIELD SCREEN | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070953sml.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	117218  

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

I have that Puig 5999 in DARK SMOKE which I do NOT recommend (the color!), because it's very hard to see just in front of the front wheel when you're riding on rough roads (standing on the 'pegs, of course).

Otherwise it seems to work OK.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Garage
I'm 6'0. The V-stream works really well for me. No buffet at 70+
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:51 PM

I have the Givi D4114ST (I'm 5'9") and I wish I could get it just a tad bit lower. I think it would work good for a 6 footer. Reasonable price also.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Yes it has been asked and answered before, but like you I'm too lazy to search.

Just buy a "madstad".
I wasn't too lazy to search. I researched for quite a while but didn't find the specific info I needed.
Thanks for the "madstad" recommendation though.

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:54 PM
BKP

I'm 5'9", and have the Puig in light smoke... love it (and there's room to raise it more).
That being said, I had the Madstad Adventure in light grey, on my last bike, and that was the best screen I've ever owned... Just couldn't negotiate it on the Versys, w/ the GPS mount I have since you have to have the Madstad bracket as well. Comes in multiple sizes depending on your height...

Versys 2015
Lurch71 likes this.

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
I'm 5'9", and have the Puig in light smoke... love it (and there's room to raise it more).
That being said, I had the Madstad Adventure in light grey, on my last bike, and that was the best screen I've ever owned... Just couldn't negotiate it on the Versys, w/ the GPS mount I have since you have to have the Madstad bracket as well. Comes in multiple sizes depending on your height...

Versys 2015
The madstad is looking to be my best choice at the moment, looking at the 22'' touring model. Hopefully its not too tall, id imagine with the high amount of adjustability me and the madstad will get along just fine. Thanks again for everybody's advice and experiences.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:26 PM

Garage
Get the two piece Givi. It is massively adjustable and has been the best screen i've ever had. I'm 6'0" with a longer torso. You can adjust the upper section while riding along too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3644.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	117538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3649.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	117546  

Last edited by Wulff81; 03-14-2017 at 05:35 PM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff81 View Post
Get the two piece Givi. It is massively adjustable and has been the best screen i've ever had. I'm 6'0" with a longer torso. You can adjust the upper section while riding along too.
Wulff81! I really haven't seen/heard anything about this screen. If you don't mind can you link me to this please. Think its still a good screen as im 6'2"? Thanks for the pics man.

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 AM

Garage
Hey HankHill,

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ersys-650-1000

This windshield fits the last and current generation of V1k's, as well you can see by my 650, it fits the gen 3 V650's.

$180 is about what i paid for mine. Can't remember how much exactly but i shopped it around and got it a few dollars cheaper than most places.

This unit makes a substantial bubble around you while riding. And when i'm doing a nice cruise with my lady, I put it all that way up and it puts both of us in the bubble. Love this screen.

If you feel like tearing up a canyon, take the top off in 2 seconds and put the bottom all the way down and you can tuck in behind it nice and tight and have some fun.

Last edited by Wulff81; 03-15-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode