Cant take the Buffeting!!! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff81 View Post
Wulff81, i guess i have in fact seen this screen before.. I've looked at all the givis on revzilla. The picture of it on the website and the actual picture of it on your bike look so much different i didn't recognize it. Sounds like a great screen and looks great for being a big screen. Truthfully I don't care how my screen looks AT ALL, i just want calm quiet air surrounding my size XXL noggin. So torn between Madstad, Givi Airflow and CalSci.....

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 AM

Another angle to consider - get a pair of "molded in ear" ear plugs. Eliminating wind noise (for me) was a big part of the issue.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:45 AM

I tried 4 different screens on my Honda CB500X (upgraded to Versys 650!!). none got rid of the buffeting, in fact most were terrible. I tried National Cycle, Givi, Cal Sci, and the Honda Tall Screen. The Honda tall screen worked the best. I thought the Cal Sci was way over priced and all hype. no science behind it that I could see (and I am a design engineer) I could have made it myself from Plexiglas. They seemed to just make it as big as they could without hitting hand guards etc, then cut and air flow hole in the lower front. So from all this I learned screens are very person specific sadly. what works for one, might not work for other. from reading forums. But I also learned that adjust-ability is a big plus. Which the Givi two piece has. And the Givi theory of high pressure air passing between the two sections makes sense to me. I like my Versys stock screen, but I would like some improvement. Going by what I learned (the expensive way) with my Honda and what I read on this thread, I will try the two piece Givi. I think it has the best chance for success. also, my friend has one on his V-Strom and says it works very well. Also, my other riding partner rides a BMW R1200RT which has a power adjusting windscreen. He said some days, depending on conditions (wind direction etc.) all he needs to do is move the screen up a half inch to get perfect air flow. Compared to the day before he needed it half inch lower. Another reason I think the Givi is the best choice. I look forward to seeing what work for you!! (even though it might not work for me!!) Jim

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Jim, what you describe is just about my experience and conclusions exactly!

I also ride an R1200RT and adjust-ability is the key... The slightest up or down movement on my electric screen can transform the windflow and varies from one day to another.. from one speed to another and even what helmet/clothes I am wearing!

The screen manufacturers must make a small fortune on what are essentially bits of vacuum formed plastic...make a mound and turn therm out by the thousand. Works for some, not for others and keeps a healthy turnover of customers looking for a better than stock screen. Most stock (touring bike) screens are probably about as good an all round average screen you will get for a wide range of speeds and rider heights. Why would any bike manufacturer produce a less than optimum screen?

I have decided that small modifications to the original screen is the way to go and much cheaper! (laminar lip, side winglets etc for example)

ps - earplugs make the biggest improvement!
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

farmerboy. I agree on the small fortune bit, what a cheap easy way to make money. My biggest issue with the stock windscreen is that it doesn't go up high enough, and if it did it would let to much airflow underneath the screen. Ill also add that its very narrow on the 2016, I have really wide shoulders. The wind hits me too much in all the wrong places, not just my helmet. its all good until about 50-55mph. If adjustability is key, as a few people have mentioned, than the madstad or at least the madstad bracket seems to be my best choice. I was riding on the highway today with almost zero wind speed and at about 65mph I was getting wind punched in the shoulders causing wobble on my front tire at times. Despite all this, I love my bike. She just needs a little tweaking.

2016 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Hank - have FAITH - you WILL get it 'sorted-out'....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 PM

I don't have any problem with the windscreen on the Versys, but I used other screens on a V-Strom and a Tiger 1050. Madstad was the only one that worked. It looked like ass on the Tiger, but it stopped the buffetting completely.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:25 AM

Big Chuck,

The very first review of your screen on Revzilla indicates that the reviewer cannot fully turn the bars without hitting the screen. Have you experienced this issue?

Dan
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Givi D4114ST works great for a 6 footer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I have the Givi D4114ST (I'm 5'9") and I wish I could get it just a tad bit lower. I think it would work good for a 6 footer. Reasonable price also.
Just put mine on - HUGE difference between the stocker and the D4114ST. Very happy with the reduction in wind turbulence and noise (6 ft.)
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkleiner View Post
Big Chuck,

The very first review of your screen on Revzilla indicates that the reviewer cannot fully turn the bars without hitting the screen. Have you experienced this issue?

Dan
I have the same screen on my 2015 V1k. I saw that review also but apparently they adjusted the manufacturing. Later versions of the screen do not interfere with the bars even with the guards on.

The urge to buy terrorizes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode