Tusk Panniers on First Gen - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zarathustra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tusk Panniers on First Gen

I just bought an '08 650, and I'm looking to put a set of Tusk Panniers on. I'm having a tough time understanding how these rack mounting systems work (I haven't chosen one yet). It seems like some are universal, but I can't tell which have mounting plate for you to drill into the panniers. It seems like the Happy Trails set-up might be a viable alternative because it comes with the racks. Any recommendations from someone who has this set up would be appreciated.

2008 Versys 650

"Rest, nature, books, music… such is my idea of happiness."
- Leo Tolstoy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zarathustra; 02-19-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:19 AM

The below thread may help cut to the chase:

Givi PLR450 side case mount fitment ???

Short answer: Since you want Tusk panniers and Tusk doesn't make racks for the Versys, your objective is to choose which manufacturers' bracket kit to use/buy and then purchase panniers and hardware to mount the panniers to the brackets. The above link illustrates configurations for Givi brackets, as well as Happy Trails. You could probably also go with SW Motech brackets, but may be more $$.

NOTE: If you go with Givi know that: (1) avoid the Model # with the "X" because it has a contoured design that won't accept a flat pannier, and (2) you'll need to do some modification (at bag/pannier mounting points) because the Givi brackets are fabricated to accept corresponding Givi luggage (mounting points). Kballowe did a good job summarizing the needed fabrication to utilize the Givi brackets in the above link.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. I decided to go with HT's
bwwoodard likes this.

2008 Versys 650

"Rest, nature, books, music… such is my idea of happiness."
- Leo Tolstoy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the link to my thread on installing my "DIRTBAGGZ" panniers:

Installing aluminum panniers...

Read thru and you'll see the model of GiVi mounts I used, and I used the SAME ones for the TUSK panniers in AZ.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

TUSKs on my Gen 1 in AZ

Here are a few pics of BIG RED 'wearing' TUSK panniers....

and then getting similar lights to the GREEN HORNET's....

I used trailer-wiring for the disconnects (which worked as advertised when I low-sided in the Canadian Arctic, the left bag coming off w/out damaging wiring, altho' there was MUCH other damage!), and here's a pic....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
new member, panniers, racks, side cases, tusk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode