New Kickstand Bottom Plate - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

1Likes
  • 1 Post By twowheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb New Kickstand Bottom Plate

Bought this recently off of EBay for less than $10. Even though it is stamped KLX250 on the inside it fits the bottom of the kickstand perfectly like it was custom made for the bike. I have to assume the bottom of all Kawasaki kickstands is the same given the great fit. (Found it by searching EBay for "Versys side stand".)

For the price of 4-5 cups of coffee you can't really go wrong. It seems well made, especially considering the cost, but I have a suspicion the screws are not stainless, and may corrode if you park outdoors all the time. It is made of what looks like machined aluminum and is black anodised. My only criticism is that it does not really lengthen the kickstand noticeably. I wanted the bike to sit more upright on the stand and although it may prevent sinking on medium soft surfaces it does not really affect the lean angle of the bike on the side stand. It roughly doubles the surface area of the kickstand bottom plate. You'll still need something with more surface area when parking on grass or soft earth though. Think I may end up reinstalling with some blue loctite to prevent screws loosening over time.

BTW - is the side stand called the kickstand or is a center stand called the kickstand?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	115041  
psych0hans likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-14-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:00 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
side stand kick stand are the same stand , center stand is also sometimes called a service stand

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:50 AM

In my case, I shopped around and read all the reviews and ended up buying a Motowerk flat foot. Beautiful machining, nicely built - but interferes with the swingarm - which is a known issue and the cure is drilling the bracket to bolt in a limiter for the distance the kickstand returns. Loved the size of the foot, but seemed like too much hassle. Note to self, read instructions fully before buying. D'oh! Anyone want to but a brand new Motowerk flat foot??

I ended up buying a used KLR side stand (second gen, I think) off eBay for $40, including the switch and springs. This stand is the height the V stand should be, has the dog leg to keep the foot away from the swingarm, and has a comparatively huge foot eliminating the need for another part

It lacks the... um... 'kick' part - that protruding steel thing you kick the stand down with, but the stand itself sticks out far enough, and I might add the (insert technical name here) kick part off the original V stand.

100% bolt on, no mods required. I highly recommend it. No pic handy, but can take one if needed.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:14 PM

Garage
I went with a cheap-o flat foot from ebay a couple of years ago, about the same price as the OP. It is also a good fit, and the bolts have held up just fine without corrosion. I've had some ebay handguards and mirrors that rusted badly at the fasteners, but this piece has done really well. After years of sliding a puck under the stand, this has been much better.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
I went with a cheap-o flat foot from ebay a couple of years ago. After years of sliding a puck under the stand, this has been much better.
And how many times have you raised the stand, and ridden off forgetting the puck? It happens trust I know. Flat foot is the way to go.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
And how many times have you raised the stand, and ridden off forgetting the puck? It happens trust I know. Flat foot is the way to go.
That's why you tie a string to the puck and squeeze it between the hand grip and switch housing. No bending over to pick up and a lot less likely to ride off with it laying on the ground.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:01 PM

Garage
I always use a MotoWerks Flat Foot with both my Versys. With the FJR i used this when needed....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:02 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i just use this

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
That's what I use on my KLR, with a string attached. IT seems to fit the whole KLR zip tie mystique.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
I ended up buying a used KLR side stand (second gen, I think) off eBay for $40, including the switch and springs. This stand is the height the V stand should be, has the dog leg to keep the foot away from the swingarm, and has a comparatively huge foot eliminating the need for another part

100% bolt on, no mods required. I highly recommend it. No pic handy, but can take one if needed.
For Gen3 650 (2015 - up) it is NOT 100% bolt on ... but close.

The KLR stand, spring and bolt are required.

The frame portion where the sidestand is attached needs to be rounded off to let the stand be brought up horizontally. Otherwise it sticks down at a 45-degree angle (not good).

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:21 AM

Garage
Have just placed an order for the same. Thank you for the share!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Have just placed an order for the same. Thank you for the share!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Bought this recently off of EBay for less than $10. Even though it is stamped KLX250 on the inside it fits the bottom of the kickstand perfectly like it was custom made for the bike. I have to assume the bottom of all Kawasaki kickstands is the same given the great fit. (Found it by searching EBay for "Versys side stand".)

For the price of 4-5 cups of coffee you can't really go wrong. It seems well made, especially considering the cost, but I have a suspicion the screws are not stainless, and may corrode if you park outdoors all the time. It is made of what looks like machined aluminum and is black anodised. My only criticism is that it does not really lengthen the kickstand noticeably. I wanted the bike to sit more upright on the stand and although it may prevent sinking on medium soft surfaces it does not really affect the lean angle of the bike on the side stand. It roughly doubles the surface area of the kickstand bottom plate. You'll still need something with more surface area when parking on grass or soft earth though. Think I may end up reinstalling with some blue loctite to prevent screws loosening over time.

BTW - is the side stand called the kickstand or is a center stand called the kickstand?
Here's a pic of the ($3...?) Ebay foot I added to my '15. I also 'scored' the bottom of the OEM sidestand foot first w/ drill bits, then put some JB Weld into it, and tightened those three bolts. Tried to do the same for my '08, but they sent me the foot for the Gen 3 (fits..., ONCE you add in the JB Weld...)!

BOTH Vs stay upright, and have NOT sunk into ANYTHING YET.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 AM

way too small.

this is my minimum:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode