Stereo install help for dummies please? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Joey Rocket Films's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 277
Stereo install help for dummies please?

Problem resolved 2011 Versys 650

I bought a pyle 300 watt system and I pretty much have placement all set for the speaker and amp but I'm not sure where to connect the power and negative wires. I don't want it draining my battery of course so I'd like to splice into something that only has power once the engine in running. Does anyone have a recommendation or link to an install thread? I'm not great with wiring and I know a few basics but I'm also not afraid to learn and apply. Pics would be extremely helpful if possible.

Because I want to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5204.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	114721  


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Joey Rocket Films; 02-10-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Joey Rocket Films is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:14 AM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 2,494
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
find a switched power source (power that turns on and off with the key {i like using the parking lights or taillight}) and use it to trigger a relay and run the main power for the radio (or anything else you plan to power switched) thru that relay (with a fuse inline)
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Joey Rocket Films's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
find a switched power source (power that turns on and off with the key {i like using the parking lights or taillight}) and use it to trigger a relay and run the main power for the radio (or anything else you plan to power switched) thru that relay (with a fuse inline)


Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I agree about the switched power source. Here's where my lack of knowledge comes in. What does trigger a relay mean? I know what relay look like but I don't know the rest. Am I supposed to splice into a wire that runs to a switched relay? Any chance you have a pic to show please?

As far as "with a fuse inline" goes, are you referring to the fuse block that I have in the picture? Thanks!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joey Rocket Films is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 2,494
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I agree about the switched power source. Here's where my lack of knowledge comes in. What does trigger a relay mean? I know what relay look like but I don't know the rest. Am I supposed to splice into a wire that runs to a switched relay? Any chance you have a pic to show please?

As far as "with a fuse inline" goes, are you referring to the fuse block that I have in the picture? Thanks!
no problem,
a relay is nothing but a switch, it turns things on and off.. heres a pic on how to wire one..Wiring Diagram 4 Pin Relay | Zen Diagram


so you will want a line going from your battery positive terminal to #30/51 (some say 30 some say 51)
then a wire from pin #85 to a good ground (or the negative terminal of the battery)
then pin #87 will be the one you want to hook the positive power wire of your radio into
then pin #86 will be your "trigger wire" and needs to be a "switched" power supply (i recommend splicing into the parking lights like ive done here (only needs to be the positive wire)


and yes the fuse in the photo is perfect
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 02-04-2017 at 11:08 AM.
silviefox is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Joey Rocket Films's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
no problem,
a relay is nothing but a switch, it turns things on and off.. heres a pic on how to wire one..Wiring Diagram 4 Pin Relay | Zen Diagram


so you will want a line going from your battery positive terminal to #30/51 (some say 30 some say 51)
then a wire from pin #85 to a good ground (or the negative terminal of the battery)
then pin #87 will be the one you want to hook the positive power wire of your radio into
then pin #86 will be your "trigger wire" and needs to be a "switched" power supply (i recommend splicing into the parking lights like ive done here (only needs to be the positive wire)


and yes the fuse in the photo is perfect


Very much appreciated! Great explanation. Hopefully I'll be able to make sense of those diagrams. Will I need to solder?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joey Rocket Films is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 2,494
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
Very much appreciated! Great explanation. Hopefully I'll be able to make sense of those diagrams. Will I need to solder?
need..... well is truly a matter of opinion... you can solder and crimp and seal your connections but personally i just crimp and heat shrink and have never had a problem. some people ive worked with say you have to solder and seal every connection ever or you will burst into flames and die
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 12,152
[QUOTE=silviefox;1326697...or you will burst into flames and die[/QUOTE]

silviefox - I think you will PROBABLY scare poor Joey....

You MIGHT "...burst into flames and SLOWLY MELT" is LESS frightening....




Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Joey Rocket Films's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
need..... well is truly a matter of opinion... you can solder and crimp and seal your connections but personally i just crimp and heat shrink and have never had a problem. some people ive worked with say you have to solder and seal every connection ever or you will burst into flames and die


Hahaha I catch your drift well. I won't be soldering...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joey Rocket Films is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Joey Rocket Films's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
silviefox - I think you will PROBABLY scare poor Joey....



You MIGHT "...burst into flames and SLOWLY MELT" is LESS frightening....









Lol oh no, I don't scare easily he couldn't have said it better!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joey Rocket Films is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Joey Rocket Films's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
find a switched power source (power that turns on and off with the key {i like using the parking lights or taillight}) and use it to trigger a relay and run the main power for the radio (or anything else you plan to power switched) thru that relay (with a fuse inline)


Holy crap I actually did it. Took it out last night and it sounds great. Luckily I only planned to use one of my speakers because I blew one of them somehow during the installation so it sucks I have no back up speaker if the main blows but oh well.

Funny this was I did end up having to do some soldering because I didn't have great quality connector so I soldered to make sure they would bond good enough.

Thanks so much for the help. My last question (maybe) is what to do with the exposed relay? Wrap it up in electrical tape or leave it be?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joey Rocket Films is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:55 PM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 2,494
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
Holy crap I actually did it. Took it out last night and it sounds great. Luckily I only planned to use one of my speakers because I blew one of them somehow during the installation so it sucks I have no back up speaker if the main blows but oh well.

Funny this was I did end up having to do some soldering because I didn't have great quality connector so I soldered to make sure they would bond good enough.

Thanks so much for the help. My last question (maybe) is what to do with the exposed relay? Wrap it up in electrical tape or leave it be?
just mount it somewhere out of the way (i ziptie mine with a peace of double stick foam between it and whatever i mount it to)

and speakers are cheap and easy to come by and hook up , also see if the person you got them from will replace it under warranty
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Joey Rocket Films's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
just mount it somewhere out of the way (i ziptie mine with a peace of double stick foam between it and whatever i mount it to)



and speakers are cheap and easy to come by and hook up , also see if the person you got them from will replace it under warranty


Thanks. I'm all set as far as location goes but should I tape it up or leave it exposed the way it is?
That's a good point about the Warrenty. Thanks. I bought them new


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joey Rocket Films is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 2,494
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
Thanks. I'm all set as far as location goes but should I tape it up or leave it exposed the way it is?
That's a good point about the Warrenty. Thanks. I bought them new
as long as it isnt wire side up and and somewhere water will be dumping down on it all the time it should be just fine not coated in tape (if you wanna seal it to be over safe just use some liquid tape or hot glue, wrapping in tape isnt weather tight and will hold moisture in

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Joey Rocket Films's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
as long as it isnt wire side up and and somewhere water will be dumping down on it all the time it should be just fine not coated in tape (if you wanna seal it to be over safe just use some liquid tape or hot glue, wrapping in tape isnt weather tight and will hold moisture in


Here's the set up. Thought? Seat fits over everything fine


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joey Rocket Films is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 12,152
Joey - IF it was ME - I would use some 'shrink-wrap' on those exposed bits of the wires going to your relay, just in case....
quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Joey Rocket Films's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Joey - IF it was ME - I would use some 'shrink-wrap' on those exposed bits of the wires going to your relay, just in case....
I thought of that and grabbed some incase so I may use it. Thanks for the suggestion Ed.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joey Rocket Films is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Member
 
silviefox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: welches, oregon
Posts: 2,494
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
Here's the set up. Thought? Seat fits over everything fine
what ed said
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
silviefox is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Member
 
andyversystheworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 31
Garage
Why is the wire wrapped around the terminal? Why not cut to fit?
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
andyversystheworld is online now  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Member
 
ItsForrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 87
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
Why is the wire wrapped around the terminal? Why not cut to fit?
That caught my eye also. Coiling wires is never a good way to deal with extra lengths, especially coiled around other wires. Keep in mind that coils are what are used to make electromagnets, transformers, etc. Coiling wires can have negative effects from creating interference in radios to causing voltage issues and other unwanted electrical behaviors.

The urge to buy terrorizes
ItsForrest is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Joey Rocket Films's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tempe AZ
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
Why is the wire wrapped around the terminal? Why not cut to fit?


Because I have no idea what I'm doing!
PHX_Joe likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Joey Rocket Films is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
speakers, stereo, stereo install

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome