Stereo install help for dummies please? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
That caught my eye also. Coiling wires is never a good way to deal with extra lengths, especially coiled around other wires. Keep in mind that coils are what are used to make electromagnets, transformers, etc. Coiling wires can have negative effects from creating interference in radios to causing voltage issues and other unwanted electrical behaviors.

Thanks for taking the time to shed some light as to why it's not good instead of just saying it's not good. I honestly have no clue what I'm doing so with your statement I now no I shouldn't have done that. I'll reconfigure it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:36 AM

I've found the best way to listen to music/FM radio while riding is a blue tooth headset inside a FF helmet. The inter rider intercom and phone connectivity is a bonus. The FF helmet is best as it cuts wind noise, which allows the music to come through better. The left side, helmet mounted, JOG dial on my Sena unit also allows control of the unit and skipping through music selections with just the use of my left hand while riding.

My concern with a stereo with external speakers, mounted to a motorcycle, is you will be unable to hear it at speeds above slow city traffic and there may be a lack of privacy as there is no sound proof cabin to contain your musical tastes. To illustrate this issue, drive through a densely populated, downtown area, in slow, stop and go traffic, while blaring Celine Dion's "my heart will go on" or perhaps "Polka hits of the 50's - reinterpreted for the Scottish bagpipe", while watching the reaction of those nearby

Last edited by twowheels; 02-07-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've found the best way to listen to music while riding is a blue tooth headset inside a FF helmet. The FF helmet is best as it cuts wind noise, which allows the music to come through. The left side, helmet mounted, JOG dial on my Sena unit also allows control of the unit and skipping through music selections with just the use of my left hand while riding.

My concern with a stereo with external speakers, mounted to a motorcycle, is you will be unable to hear it at speeds above slow city traffic and there may be a lack of privacy as there is no sound proof cabin to contain your musical tastes. To illustrate this issue, drive through a populated downtown area while blaring Celine Dion's "my heart will go on" or perhaps "Polka hits of the 50's - reinterpreted for the Scottish bagpipe", while watching the reaction of those nearby

I have a Bluetooth headset too. Now I have two options. I'm good up to about 60 and depending on the song even 75. I rolled to work today with my helmet on and one notch to go on the volume while listening to Metallica. I could make out the lyrics enough to sing along. When I'm in the mood I'll use the Bluetooth headset.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Where did you mount the speaker? I'd like to see a picture.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdrew View Post
Where did you mount the speaker? I'd like to see a picture.
click link My Versys, Mods and Media | Zombie Apocalypse 2.0
-> last page, loving it so far. I can hear it at 75mph with a loud ass exhaust.
I may want to move it to my handlebar in the center, still unsure but it works where its at so far

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
That caught my eye also. Coiling wires is never a good way to deal with extra lengths, especially coiled around other wires. Keep in mind that coils are what are used to make electromagnets, transformers, etc. Coiling wires can have negative effects from creating interference in radios to causing voltage issues and other unwanted electrical behaviors.

Much better now. Thanks again.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
speakers, stereo, stereo install

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode