Plasti Dip Tank Protection - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

10Likes
  • 2 Post By MauiDakinz
  • 2 Post By captpfd
  • 3 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Lours_Polaire
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Plasti Dip Tank Protection

After taking my dog on a ride and finding light scratches I decided to add some tank protection but couldn't find anything ready made that I really liked or thought would give me the tank coverage I wanted, so .... Not sure how it will hold up but it looks nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764 (794x1024).jpg
Views:	132
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	113050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1767 (838x1024).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	113058  
Lours_Polaire and bwag1961 like this.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -HST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 PM

Very creative. You might have just started a new craze!
Lours_Polaire and MauiDakinz like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:39 AM

Garage
That does look really nice. I'm interested to see how well it holds up.

I'll bet it will peel off easy when you are ready to remove it someday.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I just bought some 3M paint protector film, then added it to my tanks. Here's a pic of the '15....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I just bought some 3M paint protector film, then added it to my tanks. Here's a pic of the '15....

Now you need to clean off your under seat area .

Nice permanent solution there!

I had a plasti dipped bike and it held up fairly well, just gotta really put a lot on the tank area.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Garage
https://www.walmart.com/ip/16652310?...&wl13=&veh=sem

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:40 PM

been doing this since I bought it.
mine is straight line before fuel cap.

how did you mask such round edge?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I used 1/4' vinyl masking tape to get the curves - not too hard after a couple of beers.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -HST
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:06 AM

I've no first hand experience with Plasti dip however I have seen other bikes that have used it. They all had peeling issues after less than a year. Not sure if this was due to the product itself or how it was applied. If you don't like it though or it starts to peel you can remove it without damaging the underlying paint with a nylon mesh dish scrub pad and acetone. NOTE: Do not use the green 3M scrub pads as they contain abrasive particles that will damage your paint.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-10-2017 at 04:09 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've no first hand experience with Plasti dip however I have seen other bikes that have used it. They all had peeling issues after less than a year. Not sure if this was due to the product itself or how it was applied. If you don't like it though or it starts to peel you can remove it without damaging the underlying paint with a nylon mesh dish scrub pad and acetone. NOTE: Do not use the green 3M scrub pads as they contain abrasive particles that will damage your paint.
a) that's completely normal, especially if friction is involved.

b) your fingers all you need. Especially if you are not a cheap bastard and you did put the 4 coats as you are supposed to.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
...how did you mask such round edge?
IF this question is about my use of the 3M stuff - I just put something round on the corner, then put a line around it before cutting w/ scissors. Here's better pics.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiDakinz View Post
I used 1/4' vinyl masking tape to get the curves - not too hard after a couple of beers.
There's no need to mention beer, it's always implied on this forum when working on the V !

LOP
MauiDakinz likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

What is the lanyard sitting on top of your battery for?

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
What is the lanyard sitting on top of your battery for?
It loops around the battery, so that IF (WHEN) I need to remove the battery, it's just a straight-up pull.

Easy peasy!
bwag1961 and MauiDakinz like this.

Ed

..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode