Planned upgrades for my 16' 650 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

6Likes
  • 1 Post By psych0hans
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By james75
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By Wynstonn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Planned upgrades for my 16' 650

Hi guys, I just picked up a spanking new 2016 versys 650 and here is a list of add ons I've ordered for it.
  1. PUIG frame sliders (installed)
  2. Ebay radiator guard (on order)
  3. Swing arm spools (on order)
  4. Ebay levers (on order)
  5. SHAD luggage set with top box (on order)
  6. BackOFF XP Brake light modulator (to order)
  7. Aftermarket gear indicator to fit in the original spot (to order)
  8. Extra LED brake lights/turn signal lights

Do you guys think I should get anything else immediately? I really haven't started riding it yet, as the bike hasn't been registered, so I haven't gone over board with the ordering yet... lol I figured the windscreen and brake pads could wait till I did some actual riding on it. Thanks in advance, would love to get your input.
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by psych0hans; 01-03-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 12:45 PM

Garage
Ride it around awhile and you will know whats needed to make it right for you. I would suggest looking here when the time comes.....https://motowerk.com/collections/kawasaki-versys-v650lt

If you wind up needing a taller windscreen......V-Stream Windscreen for Versys 650/1000
onewizard likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
...Do you guys think I should get anything else immediately?....
A better horn! I use the WOLO Bad Boy (similar to the Stebel Nautilus) from Harbor-Freight, but others are happy w/ the Denali Sound Bomb. Here's where I mounted mine on my '15 650LT, under the left fairing.

In the next pic, the arrow points to where I put the relay (included w/ the WOLO).

VERY loud, and not noticeable visually once the fairing's back on.

psych0hans likes this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:02 PM

Garage
I agree with the horn, but otherwise use the money you'd spend on other goodies and use it for gas and go ride that thing.
psych0hans likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 11:40 PM

Aftermarket seat.....especially if you plan on riding 2 up.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll probably leave the seat and windscreen for later on. Will definitely look into the horn upgrade, but it might not be legal in my part of the woods...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2016, 10:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll probably leave the seat and windscreen for later on. Will definitely look into the horn upgrade, but it might not be legal in my part of the woods...
They are usually legal because all the horns listed are single note, so don't play tunes, pretend to be a first responder, etc.

I have the Stebel and can't hear the difference to the Sound Bomb.

Where are you?

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
They are usually legal because all the horns listed are single note, so don't play tunes, pretend to be a first responder, etc.

I have the Stebel and can't hear the difference to the Sound Bomb.

Where are you?
India, there is generally a limit to how loud your horn is supposed to be, will look into it before I make a decision.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 10:46 PM

Garage
Fast Eddie what kind of tires do you have in the pic? They look awesome! I ride mainly commuting and for fun, but plan on doing a large ride (Couple thousand miles) all pavement 100% of the time. Would you recommend those tires? Good grip in sport riding?

Thanks!!! Chris
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:06 PM

windscreen!!!! (Givi AirFlow)
it makes all the difference in comfort for longer rides.
better lights, horn (a must also), lift the front of the seat.

Versys 2015 Green
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette96 View Post
Fast Eddie what kind of tires do you have in the pic? They look awesome! I ride mainly commuting and for fun, but plan on doing a large ride (Couple thousand miles) all pavement 100% of the time. Would you recommend those tires? Good grip in sport riding?

Thanks!!! Chris
Those are Shinko E705 tires, in sizes - 120/70 x 17 on the front, and 150/70 x 17 on the rear. I run 36 psi F, 42 psi R, and NEVER "air-down" as that can lead to breaking a wheel hitting anything big. Yes - I recommend them, and there are NO chicken-strips on mine.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-29-2016 at 12:54 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Added some items to original list.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hi guys, I just picked up a spanking new 2016 versys 650 and here is a list of add ons I've ordered for it.
  1. BackOFF XP Brake light modulator (to order)
I have just installed the Backoff Hold and received really good feedback from another rider.

It is the same as the XP, but with the additional hold feature.

You tap into the speed sensor (I used a PosiTap) and it keeps the light on, even if you aren't holding the brake lever. The brake light goes off when you accelerate again.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
  1. PUIG frame sliders (installed)
  2. Ebay radiator guard (on order)
  3. Swing arm spools (on order)
  4. Ebay levers (on order)
  5. SHAD luggage set with top box (on order)
  6. BackOFF XP Brake light modulator (to order)
  7. Aftermarket gear indicator to fit in the original spot (to order)
  8. Extra LED brake lights/turn signal lights

Do you guys think I should get anything else immediately? I really haven't started riding it yet, as the bike hasn't been registered, so I haven't gone over board with the ordering yet... lol I figured the windscreen and brake pads could wait till I did some actual riding on it. Thanks in advance, would love to get your input.
The only thing I see missing from your listing is a good tank bag. I find they are most valuable on a day trip when you don't want to carry around hard bags, they are great for commuting and just keeping frequently accessed stuff like phone and water handly.

Although not the only option available IMO these are these are two of the best for the Versys and have Givi's tank ring attachment system and fit the Versys 650 perfectly - they don't interfere with the bars or instrumentation and fit the lines of the bike. The smaller Givi 3D603, which is also sold as the OEM bag for the Ducati Multistrada, and the larger Givi XS320, which is also sold as the OEM bag for the Versys and Honda Africa Twin. The 3D603 which I have, is commuter sized and waterproof without a cover, the larger XS320 holds more stuff and is expandable.
psych0hans likes this.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:51 PM

You might also consider:

Crash bars
Center stand
Led high and low beam
USB charger
psych0hans likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode