CA emissions Canister tumor removal, help please. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Joey Rocket Films
  • 1 Post By AlaskaJeff
  • 1 Post By kballowe
  • 1 Post By kballowe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

CA emissions Canister tumor removal, help please.

2011 Versys 650 California Emissions evap canister removal? (update) Problem solved

Hi, fellas. I know this is an old issue for many of you and I tried to search through the threads but no luck. I did find info on it but I was unsure of what I read due to a couple reasons like color labels that didn't match to my bike and nothing in my kind of plain english. I don't know engines very well so thanks in advance for your patience. I get lost in the threads unless they are very simple and spelled out.
I have four hoses (sorry for calling them cables) that I need to figure out what to do with. I know two are from the gas tank and the other two I believe come from the airbox and throttle bodies but I don't know which is which. Haven't removed everything just yet.

So what to do with the two lines from the tank. They are both black so I only recognize them as left and right at this point.
what to do with the all black left hose from the tank?
what to do with the all black right hose from the tank?
what to do with the brown hose with the white line?
What to do with the black w/green label hose coming from the far right? I've landed on the SW Mototech crash bars so this Tumor has got to go. Thanks for reading.

Explanation video -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0

Last edited by Joey Rocket Films; 01-04-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 10:22 AM

Search for this post: "Fixing the "hard-to-open" gas cap... ", FastEddies OP well answered by Invader (guru). For identification of the hoses, you can refer to the service manual (in the how to.. section), page 191 in the PDF or manual page 3-109 has an illustration of the hoses, a little detective work you'll get it easily.

I don't believe permanent removal is necessary for crash bar install, but it is ugly and will affect wheelie performance!

Does anyone know HOW the system is affected if the bike is tipped over on the side (L or R doesn't matter, I've tipped it both ways)?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
Search for this post: "Fixing the "hard-to-open" gas cap... ", FastEddies OP well answered by Invader (guru). For identification of the hoses, you can refer to the service manual (in the how to.. section), page 191 in the PDF or manual page 3-109 has an illustration of the hoses, a little detective work you'll get it easily.

I don't believe permanent removal is necessary for crash bar install, but it is ugly and will affect wheelie performance!

Does anyone know HOW the system is affected if the bike is tipped over on the side (L or R doesn't matter, I've tipped it both ways)?
Well said, I've seen invaders post and there seemed to be a difference with my gen but I'll keep scouring. I'm sure it's fairly simple but I'm super paranoid about doing certain things to my bikes. As I keep reading and really wrap my head around the info I'll get to the bottom of it but I don't want any oops moments. I need to get my hands on that manual too. Lol the last thing I need is something affecting my one wheel antics
Thanks a lot for the insight!

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 12:48 PM

Garage
PM sent. I need your email

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 12:51 PM

Garage
Also this is what I used for reference:
Just a quick clarification for those of you with a newer versys with different color coding on the fittings...

On the tank:
Blue is fuel vent/drain. Run a hose down the bike in case anything comes out. It will keep gas away from the bike.
Black/no color is a return- cap this.

Cap the vacuum fitting on the throttle body which had previously run to the canister.

The green hose can either be sealed with a bolt, vacuum fitting and rubber cap, or you can trace it up and cap it at the source. This will require removing the air box, which I'm pretty sure it is connected to.

Hope it helps

There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Also this is what I used for reference:
Just a quick clarification for those of you with a newer versys with different color coding on the fittings...

On the tank:
Blue is fuel vent/drain. Run a hose down the bike in case anything comes out. It will keep gas away from the bike.
Black/no color is a return- cap this.

Cap the vacuum fitting on the throttle body which had previously run to the canister.

The green hose can either be sealed with a bolt, vacuum fitting and rubber cap, or you can trace it up and cap it at the source. This will require removing the air box, which I'm pretty sure it is connected to.

Hope it helps

Thanks Jeff! I was confused because I have a black hose with a green label and a brown hose with a white line but no "green hose" and I also thought I read to not plug the hose that leads to the airbox so I was paranoid about that but if you have done it with no problems than I'll do it.

So this is what I'm getting -

what to do with the all black left hose from the tank? = Plug
what to do with the all black right hose from the tank? Extend and run away from the motor
what to do with the brown hose with the white line? AKA green hose = Plug
What to do with the black w/green label hose coming from the far right? = Plug

Correct Jeff?
AlaskaJeff likes this.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
Thanks Jeff! I was confused because I have a black hose with a green label and a brown hose with a white line but no "green hose" and I also thought I read to not plug the hose that leads to the airbox so I was paranoid about that but if you have done it with no problems than I'll do it.

So this is what I'm getting -

what to do with the all black left hose from the tank? = Plug
what to do with the all black right hose from the tank? Extend and run away from the motor
what to do with the brown hose with the white line? AKA green hose = Plug
What to do with the black w/green label hose coming from the far right? = Plug

Correct Jeff?
YUP, that's exactly what I did. You can get an assortment of rubber plugs/caps sizes at your local parts or hardware store to do the job. Glad I could help.
Joey Rocket Films likes this.

2011 ADVersys

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
YUP, that's exactly what I did. You can get an assortment of rubber plugs/caps sizes at your local parts or hardware store to do the job. Glad I could help.
Sweet, finished. Thanks again. I was definitely making it more difficult than it needed to be. I get confused easily.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
...I get confused easily.
Joey - riding FROZEN will do THAT to you...!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Joey - riding FROZEN will do THAT to you...!

Lol...naaa it wasn't that cold!

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Any More Pictures /posts

I have started a Canister Removal thread in "How To" and moved pertinent pictures and text.
Also thinking about merging the two major threads into one, then linking that thread back to the How To as a active discussion link.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have started a Canister Removal thread in "How To" and moved pertinent pictures and text.
Also thinking about merging the two major threads into one, then linking that thread back to the How To as a active discussion link.
I've got some

Copied!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4719.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	109530   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4728.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	109538  

2011 ADVersys

Last edited by onewizard; 12-21-2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Copied to How To / acknowledge OP Thanks!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've got some
Nice, those helped

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to post this..

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:14 AM

Huh.

I have a 2014 model.
I knew about the canister, but thought that was only on the California model.
Just finishing installing the SW Mototech crash bars ...... and guess what ? Yep, canister.

Anyone have a tip to install those crash bars without removing the canister ?

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
Huh.

I have a 2014 model.
I knew about the canister, but thought that was only on the California model.
Just finishing installing the SW Mototech crash bars ...... and guess what ? Yep, canister.

Anyone have a tip to install those crash bars without removing the canister ?
Before I removed my canister and installed GIVI crash bars I had to remove the plastic cover on the canister to get to the mounting bolts. I think I even had to loosen the canister some to squeeze thing in place. It was a PITA for sure. MY recommendation is to remove the canister FIRST then the crash bars will Install much easier

2011 ADVersys

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Before I removed my canister and installed GIVI crash bars I had to remove the plastic cover on the canister to get to the mounting bolts. I think I even had to loosen the canister some to squeeze thing in place. It was a PITA for sure. MY recommendation is to remove the canister FIRST then the crash bars will Install much easier
hahahahaha - yes, that's when I discovered the canister. Had to remove that cover to get that u-bolt in there and tightened up. Took a big round file and cut a relief in that plastic cover, in order to clear the nut.

Went to put it back..... hmmmmm.... what the ???? The nut for the cover doesn't line up..... hey what's THIS ???

and so, here I am.... still hoping for a "creative solution". A bit of redneck engineering may also be in order.

Anyways, those SW Mototech crash bars are NICE !

Last edited by kballowe; 01-08-2017 at 11:27 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Here's how I modded my '09s canister-cover to add SW-Motech crash-bars. First, I removed a "bit"

then put the bars on, and here's a close-up of how it looked,

and a pic from further back.

Once I had it 'imported' into Canada, I removed ALL of the thing, and redirected (or whatever...) the lines under the tank as per invader's suggestions!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:12 PM

Ahhhhhhh.....
Somehow, that was strangely satisfying....

Last edited by kballowe; 01-08-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ca emissions removal, california emissions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode