Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Gun Mount Mods on the Versys - Trigger Warning

16K views 97 replies 15 participants last post by  Joey Rocket Films 
#1 · (Edited)
Gun mount on Kawasaki Versys
I'm planning on doing a couple different mounting situations with my side arm and my AR-15. So far this is what I've come up with. One handle bar mount and then I'm thinking of mounting this rifle case to the saddle bag mounts that came on my bike if I can figure out a way to make it beyond toyt like a tigah. I'd definitely prefer not to carry the rifle on my back and sometimes I may not want the side arm in my jacket or on my hip.

For you safety nazi's out there yes I know guns are "dangerous"...thanks. Ok so now that we have that covered, Can someone please provide pics of their set up so I can get some ideas or feedback on the accessories. I'd love to see what is out there!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Are you scared to die? Might want to give up riding then.

In 300,000 miles of riding, and 55 years on this earth, I have never been in a situation where a gun was needed. Doesn't do you much good if it is not on your person anyway.

I have observed many personalities that carry.
1. Those that you would never know it. They are highly trained so they are never without.
2. Those that are scared. They are a danger to everyone around them.
3. Those who become brave. Thinking that they don't have to avoid the neighborhoods and locations mostknow to avoid.
4. Those that have something to protect. Usually illegal goods.
5. Those preparing for the zombie apocalypse.

Which one are you? ;)

#6 ·
lol cool story. Really great stuff! So well thought out man.. I mean bravo :guilty: 1-5
I am a highly trained fearful brave person looking to protect my illegal goods while prepping for the Zombie apocalypse of course... And I'm not a good person so I guess I'm screwed. Bang bang :cheers:

#15 ·
Could be Another "We Got A Winner Thread"

Yes I hear you, my best friend in Canada, I will keep the details short, went down the wrong path early in life, had a BSA 650 at 16 years old, was over 6 ft tall, got involved in a , I will call it a motorcycle club. He was in a apartment, one night his brother , who had a key, figured it was better to crash at his older brothers place rather than drive the 30 miles home in blowing snow. Well he entered the apartment around midnight, came face to face with a 12 gauge pump action sawed off shotgun, luckily his older brother recognized him.

So I have never heard of a compressor or tire plugger killing anyone accidentally or on purpose. Need is a loose term, you confront a grizzly, pepper spray may just piss him off, unless you speak grizzly chances are you aren't going to be able to talk your way out of that situation, that is when you NEED something really big and hope your shaking and aim can be coordinated before buddy Grizz takes his shot.
>:)

#16 ·
#18 ·
Yup Another We Have A Winer Thread

Winner Winer, WTF,Cabin fever setting in, :type: need to grab the shovel to get out the back door , so buddy Lab/Husky can do his business , only a foot of snow fell, wait maybe I could use that tire plugger, naw just get the shovel.>:)

Just wondering if we could get enough members involved here to keep this thread going for say 4 / 5 months, or until the snow melts here:laugh2::thumb::thumb::thumb::welcome:

#19 ·
Winner Winer, WTF,Cabin fever setting in,
need to grab the shovel to get out the back door , so buddy Lab/Husky can do his business , only a foot of snow fell, wait maybe I could use that tire plugger, naw just get the shovel.

Just wondering if we could get enough members involved here to keep this thread going for say 4 / 5 months, or until the snow melts here
Hahaha ya crazy man. Ugh snow. So happy I don't have to deal with that anymore unless I want to. Haven't shoveled in 4 years. Getting ready to head out in a ride in a bit :p I feel your cabin fever pain though. Been there for most my life.

#20 ·
Latest Ride Ever

My last Ride was November 29, the warmest it has ever been , with no snow. Found one place 150 KM North of me with snow in the ditch, was a high of 14'C that day.

#22 ·
I can say "yes" to about half a dozen of those.

I have never "needed" a gun (or a tire plug kit) because I am by nature a cautious individual. Staying out of places you don't belong and being observant usually does the trick. However, if I get cornered (somehow), I wish to be prepared.

For those of us starting to suffer from cabin fever (we had 8-9" of the fluffy stuff yesterday and the high temp today is supposed to be -2F with a wind chill of -34F) I think we can keep this thread going for a while but there must be something more interesting to talk about.

#26 ·
#31 ·
Carrying while riding is a tough one. first, on the rifle, obviously in an enclosed case, off body, not going to be accessing it in a hurry in any event. Now the handgun. that's a sticky wicket. Best place in on - body, but that could be a problem with a sudden get-off, particularly if you land or roll onto it, it would be like carrying a rock on your body. If off body, it will be slower to access should you need it, and you can't get away from your bike or it's worthless to even have it. Personally I'd go with the smallest mass handgun you feel comfortable carrying and keep it on body. somewhere, but you need to pick that place, not guys on a forum.

Of course all this is just guessing on my part.

Steve

#32 ·
Thanks for the guesses Steve. I think you may have misread the question though. Hand gun/Rifle mounted on the V? Pics please.

#34 ·
Yeah, I am too because why would anyone want to deal with a smarta$$ like you? I Can read; I understood that you were asking for pics. But there's another side to this... It's not like there's a 1000 folks riding around with their firearms mounted to their versys and they are all lining up to send you pics. The point of my post was to help you get some ideas for something you're likely going to be having the figure out on your own, and I was offering some points to consider. So maybe it's not that folks here are stupid and can't read, maybe you're just a d*ckhead who thinks the world is here to serve your wants and needs. :goodluck:

#40 ·
Hey Joey, a better place to look for ideas on gun mounts might be to Google ATV mounts or military gun mounts. My brother uses a quad for hunting and he has a couple of different mounts for different rifles. As for handgun mounts you might also look at handgun holsters for horseback use. Those are the guys who pack guns on open vehicles. In 50+ years of riding I don't recall ever seeing an "open carry" except on the persons body.

Are you interested in these for transportation purposes only? Search, search, search......the answers out there somewhere.

I sometimes get peeved that a question I ask (it may have been stupid) gets some pretty ridiculous answers. It's the internet...........

#42 ·
Great ideas, I'll look into that. Thanks! One fella sent me an image of his V with an ATV style mount towards the rear of his passenger seat in front of his tour pack but I can't remember where the post was. Interested for transportation into the Arizona mountains for target shooting as far as the AR goes and for the sidearm when I'm out in the desert or mountains for easy access and comfort.
Well said. Thanks again for the insight. Cool ideas

#41 ·
Anything of Interest/ Moved to How To After

Nothing changes about posting, the same active conversation continues, off topic is suppose to be a little more relaxed, lets say it would take a lot more than what either of you did, to get a 1 day ban, and the same goes for locking the thread.
I too am interested in what comes of this discussion, as I said in the Title, we get pictures and comments, there will be a thread in "How To" Gun how to mount/carry on V
So by me posting what I did, I am kind of asking everyone to reconsider how you post in this thread.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

#43 ·
Nothing changes about posting, the same active conversation continues, off topic is suppose to be a little more relaxed, lets say it would take a lot more than what either of you did, to get a 1 day ban, and the same goes for locking the thread.
I too am interested in what comes of this discussion, as I said in the Title, we get pictures and comments, there will be a thread in "How To" Gun how to mount/carry on V
So by me posting what I did, I am kind of asking everyone to reconsider how you post in this thread.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
If you say so but I still don't believe this post belongs in off topic. The topic is Hand gun/rifle mounted on the V, this has modification written all over it but what ever. :censored::eek:fftopic:

#45 ·
That Marlin is handsome! Yea I've thought about getting the rack for mine and then mounting some sort of case. Thanks for sharing Ed!

#46 ·
I transported a Rossi M61 .22 pump rifle to Montana last year (on an 05' Kawi 1500 Classic). I used a rifle sheath and just strapped it to the side of the bike. Never had a problem. I just pack my handgun on my person as it's comfortable and concealed (I do have a permit). Other handguns (much larger) would be in one of the lockable cases.

#47 ·
Nice, Thanks. I'm thinking of using the right side saddle bag brace somehow for my rifle since I don't ride with my bags for local small rides. The wheels are spinning. I'll figure something out.

#49 ·
I see a gear clamp near the swing arm, is that part of the mounting or is that to contain the case contents?

When you post you should be providing links where you can buy this, I also see the use of a trigger lock on the case:thumb::thumb::thumb:

#55 ·
The Open Carry Version, plus room for a 12 pack!

#57 ·
It's official, I got my hunting permit today. I'll call you if I need back up Ed!

Attachments

#64 ·
While I nearly always open carry a sidearm when riding these days (after two near deaths due to cages in the area that think two wheels means a bumper car), I've never had need to carry a rifle... and as for the sidearm, it seems like I'm no longer treated as a bumper car either. I don't know that I can think of a situation where I'd feel justified in its use, I'm just feeling fortunate that simply carrying it has kept me from ano the close encounter with decapitation via barbed wire fence.

I'd be very interested in hearing/seeing more though. I often meet up with friends while hunting, and if I could take the bike, all the better. They bring their pickups, so I'm not terribly worried about how it's getting transported afterwards lol

Reactions: Joey Rocket Films
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.