Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

No No on 3 Hard Bag setup on '09

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  SarahR 
#1 ·
Here's a surprise. I have been looking for a year to get the proper top rack frame and a top case to compliment my Givi V-35's, and was going to purchase the rack from TT, and an unused Coocase from a member who is moving. TT came back and verified the rack that would work with the existing side racks, but stated that for the gen 1's, it is not recommended to do this since the framing might fail. I have read that handling can become gamey if riding 2 up and with 3 bags, but has any one ever experienced failure of the side rack frames? Here is a quote from TT. I think they should stop showing a picture of this setup if it's not recommended.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
They are just repeating Ma Kaw's warnings basically. The 1500 Classic I had also had a warning about adding a trunk to the bike. I just made my own rack and attached a trunk to match the bags I had installed. I never had a problem with it. Even the Gen 3 that I have has warnings about overloading the bike and or top case. Mine is all OEM stuff.

If you want a top case just realize that it can be overloaded easily which could lead to sub-frame damage. An alternative is a soft bag type top case.

If you can find pics of damage caused by a heavy top case then you can figure out how to strengthen the sub-frame to prevent it.

#3 ·
I have a three bag set up on my Gen 1. It has worked very well for me on some very long multi day trips through all sorts of different conditions and roads. I'm using:

Racks:
Givi FZ447 tail rack (2007-2009 Versys 650) with M5M Monolock plate
Givi PL447 tubular side case Monokey racks (2007-2009 Versys 650) with PLX447 fitting kit (links rear mounting point of the side rack with arm rail of the tail rack)

Cases
Givi E26 Monolock top case and I switch between these two sets of side cases, using the larger Kappas for the long trips:
Givi E21 Monokey side cases
Kappa K40 Monokey side cases

Add to that I use a 40L dry bag (Bags Connection) on the rear pillion.

Keeping in mind that my top case is relatively small, and my pillion bag weighs less than a passenger, but I have had no issues with suspension, balance or handling with this set up at all.

#4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I was thinking about just getting a 40L dry bag to put over the back pillion since I don't ride 2 up, but friends thought I should get a top case to throw my helmet in for convenience sake, and have more "secured" storage when away from the V. Do you use the rack for anything other than the top case mount?

#6 · (Edited)
Givi 35 & V46 MK-1 30,000 KM & 7 years

Well here is my 07 that I sold this summer, built like a brick sh**t House. That frame served a second purpose, crash support!!

Lets say with 3 dozen cobs of corn in the top case, it is easier to pull wheelies, as to 2 up, you need to consider weight rating of bike, if you buy any new cases, they all have a 20LB rating, I am sure my 3 dozen cobs of corn weighed less ;):huh::rolleyes:

Attachments

Reactions: SarahR
#7 ·
Onewizard, that V46 looks gigantic. Must be the picture angle. I didn't want to say it makes your ass look big. I think a bushel of corn weights around 50 - 60 pounds, and you had around a half bushel so you were probably pushing more like 25 - 30 pounds.

Would everyone agree that a 40L loaded dry bag laid over the pillion would be less likely to cause wheelies than a loaded 36L top bag due to the difference in geometrics, i.e. lower location closer to the wheel vs. being higher and behind the wheel?

#8 · (Edited)
Considering you can put a pretty heavy passenger on the rear seat I would not worry about sub frame damage. Handling on the other hand deteriorates with a heavy passenger and somewhat less so with a fully packed bike. I imagine both together might be an issue though wrt handling on the 650. There are stickers on the bike, by law, (when new) that indicate a maximum recommended load. Think they are on the swing arm.

Since I only do one or two long trips a year on the bike I find the best alternative for my type of use has been a lockable top box, for daily carrying of stuff and commuting, and then supplementing this with Cortec soft saddle bags and rear pack for the occasional long distance road trip. I have never carried camping supplies and a passenger simultaneously so I can't help in this area. Look for a top box big enough to hold a laptop case. Having a top box behind them is also reassuring to a passenger. I also use a tank bag all the time. A sleeping bag gets bungeed to my passenger seat on top of the rear bag. The tail bag is designed to clip/attach to the saddle bags. Lots of options in the soft saddle bag category from different manufacturers. It is a lot more economical than purchasing hard saddlebags for the rare use I would give them, and no mounting hardware is required. Most soft saddle bags come in two sizes, sport (small), and large. I would recommend the sport size as the are mostly large enough for most people and the larger ones tend to sometimes swing in and touch the rear tire. Some of the better soft saddle bags have expansion zippers that allow you to make them wider and hold more stuff - this is a really valuable feature IMO.

Rear racks like the SW-Motech are more expensive than the Givi rack but better made and allow the savings of a few pounds of weight up high as they replace the rear grab handles which weigh a lot. The Givi rack mounts on top of the grab handles.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-elite-saddlebags
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-elite-tail-bag

#10 ·
Rear racks like the SW-Motech are more expensive than the Givi rack but better made and allow the savings of a few pounds of weight up high as they replace the rear grab handles which weigh a lot. The Givi rack mounts on top of the grab handles.

They, (TT) is indicating that the only top rack that can be used with the GIVI side box rack is the one that you refer to as the one that goes over the existing grab handles since that framing is integral to the side box framing. Thanks for the input.

Merry Christmas!!

#9 ·
My wife and I have done a lot of miles 2up with 3 piece luggage; 50 liter trunk with two 40 liter panniers (plus strap-on bags). Biggest trip was a 26 state run from California to Florida and back over 4 weeks.

The Versys frame is quite strong. We may have exceeded the GVWR though. Oh Well...

Photos taken in Tennessee.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.