New Rear Rack Option - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 06:50 PM

I really like it, but I'm not overly wild about all the holes in the grab handles. Other than that it looks awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:05 PM

I think the holes and lack of curve of the upper plate does not work for my taste. They maybe functional, but there always need to be a balance between function and cosmetic. I'm certain quality is superior. I'll stick with my sw-motech for now.
post #23 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 PM

It gives the V an "otherworldly" appearance for sure. I like the holes for attachment of tie downs. It would be nice if it had an option of moving the load inbound (for balance) but I suppose under-seat access would be hindered. As pointed out earlier, could slice and dice in a get-off. Fantastic, unique design. Roland Sands could not have done better.

post #24 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 PM

Third on the slice and dice. YOW!!

But I do like it, and I like the holes. I would definitely like to see one in aluminum, although 6lbs aint bad for a rack. I'll bet aluminum would be less than 3.

Quick release for a pelican case would be awesome.

Price needs to compete with SWM.

Needs to accomodate a pillion on occasion.

Gonna do side racks too??

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #25 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 PM

I think it looks awesome. Way better looking then anything out there.
post #26 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 AM

Looks great. I like the idea of the holes for tie down points. Definitely going to keep an eye on this one.

While you're at it why don't you design us a better looking skid plate? You've obviously got the talent and the know how!

2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (sold)
2004 Suzuki SV650 (sold, wish I hadn't)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (commuter/dragon slayer)
Future bike: Ducati Sport 1000S (just because
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #27 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 AM

maybe make a couple pieces of 1/4" plastic that could sandwich the grab bar areas. Route the edges to make them feel nice in the hands, and and bolt through the holes you already have there.. That would give a more substantial grab bar, and for the people that don't want or need such a feature, they dont have to install them.

Nice product though.
post #28 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Passenger backrest option would be awesome. Like almost everything but that "X" hole in the plate which looks out of place with everything else. Is that for mounting or just being 'artsy'? Nicely done.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #29 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Damn, wish the V would have come stock with something like this. I agree with stagehand fits the bike nicly. My Honda Trans-Alp had a real nice rack stock. Again nice job. ktmduals wants to know what we would pay for this? I'm on a low budget so I don't want to say but am eager to find out how much myself. I would like one of these and sounds like its easy to install and remove in like 10 minutes.

Donn

Last edited by Nytrydr; 10-08-2010 at 07:34 PM.
post #30 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:36 PM

very nice! i'm working on some inexpensive racks that will accept some dry bags, and this would complement them nicely. good job.

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 03:58 PM

I agree with the $75 to $125 range for the steel one. 6 lbs. isn't much weight, and the looks are awesome. Keep us posted.
post #32 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
For those times when I have a pillion on board it wouldn't work for me, but that's a great looking piece. Nicely executed. What if you had a slip-on or quick bolt-on passenger grip/cover as an option?
I was thinking the same thing.

I think you did a great job of making it fit the lines of the bike but I am more conservative styling and would prefer something closer to OEM grips attached to the rack.

Not taking anything away from your design though. Well done and I wish I had that talent.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #33 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Now that is a stylish rack. A couple of comments.

1. Steel is good, in case of a fall or a mishap if it bends or something it can be brought back to shape. Can't do that with aluminum. Besides need to keep an eye on cost.
2. The rack is replacing the grab handles. Need to figure out how to keep the handles "grabable". Flat metal and sqare edges are not hand friendly.

I see it will not fit the oem side racks. I wonder how many Versys owners are looking for an affordable rear rack that fit the oem side racks. There might be a market for such a thing.
post #34 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:48 PM

I'm glad you are working on this so I can put it out of my mind. The Center Stand has taken up all my time for almost two years and is now into production.

Congratulations for a good looking rack and I hope you sell a million of them. Are there that many Versys?

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #35 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 07:32 PM

ktmduals, your rack is 10x7 my Cortech tail bag bottom footprint is a bout 12x12 I'm wondering how that would work and if you might have a tail bag to mount to your rack for show and tell? would need the rack mostly if I had a passenger so I could mount my bag behind.

Donn

Last edited by Nytrydr; 10-08-2010 at 07:41 PM.
post #36 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 PM

I'm thinking one could bolt the handles to the holes in the side pieces...covers up the holes and adds handles.
Great job and Welcome aboard!!!!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #37 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

The handrails seem to be the biggest concern, I am looking into some possible solutions to make it more "grab" friendly. I am making one out of aluminum for test purposes right now. Should weigh in at a meager 3 lbs. The rear plate will be changed to allow for the SMW rear adapter plate to mount to it. I could easily make different sizes of plates and different mounting options. Perhaps a bigger rear plate would be desired for some. The holes will stay in the handrails since they reduce weight and I personally like them. Plus, I always find myself needing more tie down points. I think I can get the cost down to 165 for the aluminum set up. That is not much more then the SMW rear rack that is made of steel. I think skid plates are next for me on the Versys. I haven't found one that really appeals to me yet. Thanks again to the Versys community for chiming in.
post #38 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 06:19 AM

I think it looks good. I like the 'spacey' styling.

My concern is the large holes in the main plate. They limit what can be mounted on it. I'd go for more but smaller holes, or in place of holes a pattern of X shapes that allow lots of configurations for different gear. My top box bottom plate had to have its own holes drilled into the Kawasaki rack because there was not enough possibilities.

You can help make Clem a household name

post #39 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmduals View Post
The handrails seem to be the biggest concern, I am looking into some possible solutions to make it more "grab" friendly. I am making one out of aluminum for test purposes right now. Should weigh in at a meager 3 lbs. The rear plate will be changed to allow for the SMW rear adapter plate to mount to it. I could easily make different sizes of plates and different mounting options. Perhaps a bigger rear plate would be desired for some. The holes will stay in the handrails since they reduce weight and I personally like them. Plus, I always find myself needing more tie down points. I think I can get the cost down to 165 for the aluminum set up. That is not much more then the SMW rear rack that is made of steel. I think skid plates are next for me on the Versys. I haven't found one that really appeals to me yet. Thanks again to the Versys community for chiming in.
Sounds good, I agree with you on the skid plates. looking forward to see what you come up with.
Donn
post #40 of 297 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 11:53 AM

It looks great. Can it be used with the hard side bags installed? If so when can you make me one and what's the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode