Yet Another DIY Top Rack - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix650 View Post
Was walking through the garage with a case of Dr. Pepper the other day and sat it on the rack out of curiosity. Flexed significantly less than I thought it would! Might still want to reinforce it a bit, but I was surprised with how it held up.
You have to look at more than whether the rack flexes.
The case mounts on my 79 GL didn't flex..until the frame cracked at the mounting points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Was walking through the garage with a case of Dr. Pepper the other day and sat it on the rack out of curiosity. Flexed significantly less than I thought it would! Might still want to reinforce it a bit, but I was surprised with how it held up.
A case of soda has got to be in excess of 20 lbs I'd guess.

A friend of mine made a "copy" of a Wompus rack (made for Vulcan cruisers) and after about two years of use we were riding in southern BC when he hit one of those large dips in the road. I was behind him and it looked like his bike tried to buck him off. At the next stop he was looking at his bikes rear end and found the rack had cracked on one side. He was using a HD Tour Pack and had about 25-30 lbs in it. He decided to buy the Wompus rack instead of re-making his. The last one I made was for a Vulcan 1500 Classic and I used 1/2" steel square stock. It added quite a bit of weight to the bike but I didn't want any problems.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 04:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
static load, which is not what we deal with on a bike.

artfully crafted work, poor design in terms of moto usage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
static load, which is not what we deal with on a bike.

artfully crafted work, poor design in terms of moto usage.
I realize that its a static load and not a live load. I was not stating that I was going to go and strap a 20 lb case on and set off on a big ride over a bumpy road. All I was doing was setting some weight on to see how it did, and it flexed less than I thought it would.

Remember, this is not finished design. Still in prototype stage. I am thinking of ways to reinforce it without adding too much fabrication. I'm not against welding on it, but I really want to keep it simple to the point where a fellow can take the file, cut it out, add some bends, and throw it on the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode