Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Hand Grips for lowering vibration?

8K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  JackImpact 
#1 ·
Finding that on my new bike, my right thumb will get a but fuzzy as I am riding.

Any suggestions on some good grips to put on to cut down on vibration?

#4 ·
Got them on, they do cut vibration but dont solve my issue. They make the grip a bit larger than I am used to and feel comfortable using. Probably going to take them off.

I think the risers may put my wrist at just the right angle to fix my issue. If I let off the throttle without letting go of my position on it, the issue is solved, but I cant be over extended like that the whole time riding.

#7 ·
Try killing two birds with one stone - Oxford heated grips are a bit bigger than stock and give nice warm palms during winter.

#13 ·
If you thumb is sore then it might just be your gloves.

My winter gloves give me pains and thumb goes numb if Im going hard in the twisties. better if im an relaxed
It is the way the glove is stitched together and that my thumb does not have full movement and is in a constricted position and I get pains on the inside edge of thumb to middle of wrist.

#16 ·
#18 ·
I just installed a set of Rox 2" risers (gen 2), I would say by design they have a greater range of adjustment than Motowerk, and they are of similar quality and finish IMO. The clamp design is more like traditional bar clamps, so I now have about 5" of unobstructed 7/8" handlebar to mount other goodies on. Awesome ergos for my short arms, standing on the pegs doesn't require hunching over.

The big V has a simpler style of bar clamp ideally suited to the Rox (it seems), and likely other brands. Motowerk doesn't appear to make an anti-vibe for the 1000, at least not after checking their site just now.

#20 ·
FWIW - I have 2" ROX Risers on BOTH my Vs, one set "anti-vibe", other 'solid'. I have NOT noticed any difference in vibes between the two bikes (and the 'solid' ones were on my '09 till it was written-off, then transferred to my '15, so when I said....NOT noticed any difference in vibes... that covers Gen 1 AND Gen 3 w/ the SAME ROX Risers!)

and here are the 'solid' ones on my '15 (the 'bad' paint is MY doing!).

#22 ·
JackImpact - I'm not sure what you mean, "Could I put like rubber gaskets, or o rings or washers between them?". If you're referring to inserting rubber in between the OEM clamp and the bars as a way to reduce vibes, I doubt that would be anything other than ineffective - if you got the clamps tight enough to hold the bars solidly, the rubber would be so compressed as to be useless. Loose could be dangerous.

Anti-vibe clamps have a mechanical fastener between the 2 sections so no matter what the rubber does, and there is considerable 'flex' in the ROX setup, they're not coming apart. You can see in the pics from Ed the ant-vibe has metal-to-metal connections at both the original bar mount and the 'new' bar (in the riser).

FWIW, I did 80 miles on gravel yesterday (about 3 hours), and had less hand fatigue than a typical hour of street riding. I'm happy with the risers and the ergos are so much better. I have stock grips and no other add-ons like grip puppies.

#34 ·
Yes, I use an exacto knife. A box cutter extended all the way out does good too. Over the years I've ordered Progrips that say they are open ended and come in closed ended and vice versa. I just cut the ends off now and forget about if I'm trying to order right. Read your other post about reaming the threads out of your clutch stay. Those can be tool throwing moments (been there). When you do get the new part, put a small amount of silicone grease or wheel bearing grease on the bolt threads when assembling. That helps keep the oxidation of bolt metal and aluminum thread holes to a minimum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.