3 Cheap DIY Projects for Touring - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
3 Cheap DIY Projects for Touring

Map Holder: I used some plastic sheet (the stiff bottom from a shopping bag) to make a frame. Bolted at the front with 2 magnets button-holed thru the rear. Allows access to the fuel filler. Add a map or printed directions to a zip-lock bag and away you go...

Foot Pegs: Speedy's peg mounts are great, but simple bolt in pegs of good quality are hard to find. These are machine thread SS bolts with powder coated springs over them. There is a section of 3/4 inch fuel line slipped over the bolts and under the springs to fill the diameter gap and make the pegs solid.

Rear wheel Jack: Solid piece of oak. The strap around the folded jack is used to lock the front brake on. Just used a heavy 4 inch hinge and some #10 bolt head screws. Very compact and easy rear lift to lube the chair while away from home.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:10 PM

Garage
The 3rd one is slick DIY of commercial product.
The pegs might be scary in a tip over.
Map? Directions? Are you not plugged into the smartphones and GPS?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:13 PM

Garage
Nice, simple, light weight jack. What are the dimensions you worked with? Thanks!
MrKneeDropper likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Map? Directions? Are you not plugged into the smartphones and GPS?
Nope, never owned a GPS. Probably never will.
my2wheels likes this.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 07:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Nope, never owned a GPS. Probably never will.
Me neither, I'm a map guy. I'm not a Luddite and I do have an iPhone but the phone stays in my pocket for emergency use. There is something I dislike about trusting technology to guide me. I also like to look at a map and plan an interesting ride beforehand, then if some road I pass looks interesting, I don't mind changing the plan on the spot.
ATYC and Stud Muffin like this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
Nice, simple, light weight jack. What are the dimensions you worked with? Thanks!
I started with a 14 inch length. The final assembled length is 13 and 13/16th now. The loss came from cutting the piece in half then cutting the concave angle. There was a little loss too from taking the Dremmel to the top end to saddle out a good fit for the spool.
unstable_rider likes this.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
I started with a 14-inch length. The final assembled length is 13 and 13/16th now. The loss came from cutting the piece in half then cutting the concave angle. There was a little loss too from taking the Dremmel to the top end to saddle out a good fit for the spool.
Thanks for the info. I gather that you are happy with the fit? Also, does the short piece go upper or lower?

Last edited by Smiley; 06-14-2016 at 09:22 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:05 PM

That is an ingenious map holder!

Could you please provide a little more info on the rear magnetic button hold downs?

Is it working out ok at speeds in the 75 mph range?

Thanks.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I gather that you are happy with the fit? Also, does the short piece go upper or lower?
Yes, happy with the fit. A few mm longer may be better, but I think 14 inches would be max. As for the shorter section, that is the one on top. Seemed to me it may be better to have the top section a bit shorter than the bottom (based on no kind of engineering degree, education, or experience whatsoever mind you) just a thought. In the end I don't think it helps or hurts and if I did it over I'd probably make them even lengths.

The stock wood is 1x2 BTW, if that helps.

Always trust your cape.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
That is an ingenious map holder!

Could you please provide a little more info on the rear magnetic button hold downs?

Is it working out ok at speeds in the 75 mph range?

Thanks.
I rode with it up to about 100 kms/hr and that was fine. Secure and no shifting around. The magnets are little fridge magnets from Staples that look like thumb tacks/push pins. So, they have a short shaft & a nub on the end. I used a hole punch to pop 2 holes in the plastic frame, then pressed the nub end of the magnets thru. The plastic had enough give to allow it to squeeze thru and then hold.

So they are not particularly strong. You see in the pic they only hold the zip lock bag down. Anything thicker than the 2 plays of plastic bag and a sheet of paper and they probably won't hold. But, as configured, they hold just fine. The frame sits pretty flat and in a space on the V that is pretty well blocked from the wind.

Always trust your cape.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
So they are not particularly strong.
These rare earth magnets will definitely hold. And thanks for the info!

Fridge Super Magnet - Lee Valley Tools
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 05:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
So they are not particularly strong.
These rare earth magnets will definitely hold.

Fridge Super Magnet - Lee Valley Tools

Check out the full line of powerful magnets.

Lee Valley Tools - Item Search
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 12:59 PM

What are the parts you bought for highway pegs?

I really liked your highway pegs. Can you give names for the parts? or website links?

Thanks
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Foot Pegs: Speedy's peg mounts are great, but simple bolt in pegs of good quality are hard to find.
I used fold up pegs from Harley. I'd be a little leery of using fixed bolts like that. Mine have worn the rubber down from dragging. Drag those fixed bolts and you might be in for a surprise...and not a good one.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 06:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Me neither, I'm a map guy. I'm not a Luddite and I do have an iPhone but the phone stays in my pocket for emergency use. There is something I dislike about trusting technology to guide me. I also like to look at a map and plan an interesting ride beforehand, then if some road I pass looks interesting, I don't mind changing the plan on the spot.
I do that too. Then I enter it in the GPS so I don't have to find a safe spot to pull over and orient a map to see if I am still on course.

Want to deviate? No problem, GPS recalculates the new route and still gets you to your destination.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsraeliVersys View Post
I really liked your highway pegs. Can you give names for the parts? or website links?

Thanks
The pegs are made from 3/8 x 5 inch stainless steel machine thread bolts. They are fastened with ss washers and ss nuts with a bit of blue lock-tite. The springs are some powder coated springs that were about 8 inches long. They were tapered and hooked on each end. I think they were designed to be used on a garden gate (?) I sourced them from the junk bin in my neighbour's garage.

Lastly, I used 3/8 inch clear fuel line which I slipped over the bolt and inside the spring to compensate for the gap. That you can purchase by the foot.

I sourced all the parts (except the springs) from TSC for about $16. I think any good size hardware store would have all of it readily available.

Always trust your cape.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I used fold up pegs from Harley. I'd be a little leery of using fixed bolts like that. Mine have worn the rubber down from dragging. Drag those fixed bolts and you might be in for a surprise...and not a good one.
I like the length of your pegs. They look like they'd work well.

The solid pegs I'm using are so high up that if I'm dragging one it's because I already crashed.
saddlebag likes this.

Always trust your cape.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I like the length of your pegs. They look like they'd work well.

The solid pegs I'm using are so high up that if I'm dragging one it's because I already crashed.
In that case, they'd probably make excellent sliders...
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:30 AM

Another DIY trail jack:

From Lowes go to the allthread section. Pick up a 18" length of allthread that will just slip inside some steel tubing at the same spot. Get two nuts and a wing nut to fit the allthread. Double nut the wing nut to the end of the allthread and the other nut under it. Adjust the length with the second nut. Cut it down to about 12" to make it more compact.
MrKneeDropper likes this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
I really like your jack. I'd like to make one. Can you tell me, did you angle any of the cuts? Maybe in the middle where they hinge together? I think you want the whole jack to angle in the middle, toward the bike, for stability? And what about the bottom, is there an angle cut there so the jack has more surface area on the ground?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode