Puig Touring screen on '15 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Chuck
  • 1 Post By Lurch71
  • 1 Post By Lurch71

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Puig Touring screen on '15

Just installed my new Dark smoke Touring windscreen on my 2015 650 ABS... and BTW, when they say DARK smoke, the are not kidding!

I like it a lot so far, but have'nt been out for a speed run yet to see how it handles the wind over 50 mph.

If'n I do it, I gunna git a wippin .... OK! I do it!!!

2015 Versys 650 ABS, 1984 Yamaha FJ600, 1983 KZ750, 1977 CB750a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 05:41 PM

Generally, they tilt shields to the same angle as the forks. For all intensive purposes, that is a black shield not to be looked through. Good luck.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Generally, they tilt shields to the same angle as the forks. For all intensive purposes, that is a black shield not to be looked through. Good luck.
Yep, but I forgot that I had tilted the factory brackets up a little to see if I could get the wind a little higher before it hit my helmet. (Waste of time with the factory screen)
I'll try it both ways tomorrow.

Believe it or not, you can see through it a lot easier than it looks in pictures, but I am not worried about seeing through it. At six and a half feet tall, I tend to be looking over the top of any windscreen short of a 4 by 8 sheet of plywood.
Mydnyte Son likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:43 PM

Just so long as you know to look over it (I didn't know you were a giant!), because you are not going to notice changes as quick through a dark screen. It color matches your bike and matches your front fender perfectly. I am sure you turn a lot of heads on the highways. Drive safe!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - I have the same Puig shield in my suitcase for when I return to BC (bought from an 'inmate' here...), to go on the GREEN HORNET TOO, so it's NICE to see how it's going to look...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:13 PM

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
That's too damn funny!

Now I have to go out and drop it back down!
Thanks for putting that image in my head!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All right, dropped the rear brackets back down...

I think it looks MUCH better!

Wind control is good. Probably about 90% of what is normal for a Madstad system.
Definitely worth the $140. Of course, if you are under 6'6" you will get a lot better coverage!

And... it's not really as dark as it looks from the back side.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post

I think it looks MUCH better!

Wind control is good. Probably about 90% of what is normal for a Madstad system.

Agree about the looks, what makes the Madstad setup better in your opinion, I'm still trying to decide which screen to go with.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
All I know is that I have been on four different bikes with Madstad systems on them, including my '09 KLR, and all of them had excellent wind control.
I would have liked the Madstad for my new bike, but it would have been about twice the cost, and I was trying to stretch my money as far as I could and get a new seat too.
This Puig works quite good for the money, and I think it looks like it has the same style as the bike. In the middle of the adjustment range the wind is hitting the top of my head, but I can scootch down a couple inches and get out of the wind. All the way up it will probably do a better job (for my tall head) but it looks a bit ungainly that far up.
Still, it has cut the noise level in my admittedly noisy helmet down to the point I don't need ear plugs any more, and my head doesn't shake like I have Parkinson's either. I think it would be perfect for riders who are 6'2" or shorter.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 05:50 PM

I think the convex side looks black and the concave side looks more transparent. My zero gravity smoke screen is like that. looks black as hell(beautiful) but easy to see through. I like this one, I was just breaking balls with the photo! haha

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 10:20 AM

Puig scratch resistance?

I installed the Puig the other day and really like the looks and function but am concerned on how soft the surface appears. Seems really easy to scratch. Has anyone had one for a while and can advise how they hold up?

thx, Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Puig.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	87898  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Terry - I've had my Puig on for a couple of weeks, and I spray it w/ a "no-name" lemon pledge to remove bugs. NO scratches so far.... (And I don't expect any.)

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:38 PM

Garage
Glad I found this thread. I'm 6' 3" and was wondering if the Puig screen would work. Now I'll be ordering one next week. Great pics. Looks great on your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeusaf1 View Post
Glad I found this thread. I'm 6' 3" and was wondering if the Puig screen would work. Now I'll be ordering one next week. Great pics. Looks great on your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm 6-7/235lbs, I have a smoke color on my V1K and it works fine. I'll ride with in the down position to get air and put it at its tallest position on the freeway with no problems.
joeusaf1 likes this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 AM

Quick question to all lucky owners of this screen... was the fuel economy affected after you installed this thing?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmad View Post
Quick question to all lucky owners of this screen... was the fuel economy affected after you installed this thing?

No, I get about 40 around town and 45-50 on the freeway.
Metalmad likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 12:38 PM

Garage
I have had my Puig light smoke for over a year now and it has been nothing but great. I adjusted my windshield up and down a few times and it made circle scratches around the knobs. Beyond that, no scratches and it gets plastered with bugs! Awesome screen.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:39 PM

It looks a lot like the Givi D4114ST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode