Added: radiator guard, front axle sliders, R&G micro turn signals - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and Do-It-Yourself cosmetic modifications

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 2 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Added: radiator guard, front axle sliders, R&G micro turn signals

The farkling has begun in earnest, anticipating many rides in the near future.

Last year Grip Puppies went on. Solved the hand cramps instantly, though I'm not quite thrilled about the slightly squishy feel.

This month I've installed T-Rex front axle sliders. Super easy to install, just observe that they are left-right side specific.

Next, a Touratech radiator guard. Overall a nicely made and functional item. Maybe a tad overpriced at $120. Attaches by hooking over the top of the radiator then securing with 4 zip ties. Rubber foam spacers keep it from rattling and provides some crush distance to absorb heavier impacts. I also rotated the horn up and in 90 degrees at the same time as installing the radiator guard.

I like the louvered design, which allows greater airflow without compromising protection.

Even with little wet weather riding and only about 1100 miles on the odometer, there is a definite strip of gunk flung from the front tire onto the radiator. As a result, a fender extender will be installed soon.

Before:

After:
Slodirtgirl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Next up, replacing the stock front turn signals with R&G Aero LED micro turn signals. The stock signals stick out too far, making them the first thing to hit the ground when the bike goes down. The fairing gets cracked, costing $200 to replace.

Here's the silhouette showing just how far those suckers stick out on the '15.

The R&G Aero is a micro sized signal with a bunch of very bright LEDs in it. Here it is for size comparison with the stock signal.

The LED signals require a load resistor added to the circuit to keep the flash rate the same due to the lower current draw of the LEDs. I bought an R&G load resistor and some other brand of wiring adapter to go from Kawasaki connectors to "bullet" style. The adapter plugged right into the wiring harness on the bike, then the load resistor plugged into that, then the turn signal plugs into the load resistor. Easy. The extra wires need to be secured via zip tie or duct tape.

The hard part was physically adapting the fairing to accept the new signals which attach to the bike via threaded post. I bought some plastic adapter plates off e-bay which were supposed to be Versys compatible but they needed some surgery. Left is unmodified, middle is shaped for the outside of the fairing, right is shaped for the inside of the fairing. The plastic was easy to cut and file.

Here's the inside fairing with the empty hole, then with the adapter in place. Next is the outside adapter plate in place.

So here is the turn signal installed.

It really is tiny! From the riding position it isn't really visible. This picture is from far left of normal riding position.

These suckers are very bright, subjectively I'd say twice as bright in daylight as the factory standard units.

This install could have been better if I'd put more time into precision shaping of the adapter plates, but it certainly passes my father-in-law's "Galloping Horse" test. It looks just fine when you see it while riding past on a galloping horse.
quexpress and Slodirtgirl like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 02:26 AM

Nice!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 AM

Garage
Personally I would not fasten anything to the radiator with zip ties. IMO they would need to be replaced often due to heat from the rad and exposure to the elements. .
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 09:41 AM

Some zipties are affected by sun light as well
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

I'll keep an eye on the zip ties. They are out of direct sunlight but definitely exposed to some heat. I have some aircraft safety wire somewhere which might be a more durable option than zip ties.
OKJohn likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 12:03 PM

Do these R&G Aero LED micro turn signals also operate as running lights?

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

No they are only turn signals.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:28 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
looken nice, tho i personally would put some spacers so your rad guard is a bit away from the rad (to prevent dirt build up and also to give it some room to move in the event of a "larger" impact

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

The radiator guard has foam spacers, about 1/8" thick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode