Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Speedy's flatfoot for lowered bikes

6K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  chadams66 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't seen any actual pics of bikes or threads talking about flatfoots, but if it makes the sidestand any more stable, then it sounds like a good idea to me. Although if it is sitting on the edge of the plane, then it may be unstable as well. I guess that's the trick, is to always leave it secure on a larger base for stability. $40 extra for a more stable side stand sounds like a deal to me: I don't really like sidestands too much except for convenience anyway.

And then again, if no one else uses them, then the stock style tube may be inherently better for flexibility of ground surfaces and/or up in the reclined position??

Anyone got any pics of flat foots on their bike, or pics on any bike will do. I am more interested on how it looks in the UP position and how it intersects with the other assemblies on the bike (things are real tight around the sidestand up, and it's hard to picture a mini Frisbee down there.) AS WELL, if you glue it level, will if fit well UP sliced in at that particular angle? I did not see any pics on Speedy's site with the side stand up: or anyone who has said they used it after reading about over 50 posts.

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm about to put it on and am nervous about ANYTHING NOW that I'm the first one doing anything. Being a Pioneer sux big time - $$$$!!
:|

Thanks!!

See less See more
#6 ·

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/MavsPics][/quote]
I have exactly what you have, Speedy's lowered footpeg and flatfoot on a Speedy lowering link. I have had the total weight of the bike on that stand-----not intentionally---just saying, also my prop stand works perfectly with the flatfoot for front or rear tire.

#3 ·
It works fine and is big enough that it isn't liable to melt too deep into hot asphalt, but it's also big enough that it scrapes in corners. Once it does there is no give to it. Stay hard on it and it will lift the rear wheel up in a corner. For any who might be wondering, that's not a good thing...

#5 · (Edited)

WHOA! What a shovel scraper! Thanks guys!! My big azz would be dug in at every corner apex :D

Yeah, I was thinking Honda Gal being a track racer too, is usually right-on with her performance assessments. I'm not lowering the front end either, because the 17" tire is dicey low-handling enough for me the way it is stock; and 1.6" (rear only) lowered is good enough for me versus 1.85" (front and rear) lowered (and Joe says so anyway :) In fact, I would almost like an 18" front wheel, but lowering the rear only should help the front leaning feeling anyway. The sitting back should also help sitting ergonomics (and make it feel more like a flat-track race bike: i.e. - Ron Woods, ha ha.) I'm glad I asked. EVERY oem spec change needs countless verifications in every dimension! I had to read a lot of "good quality, feels good, and quick shipping" posts to find the good handling ones: but they were there thank goodness.

Thanks again Guys (you too Honda Gal!)

I have one on my 2008.And just put one on my 2015.The bikes are not lowered.
That sounds like a good alternative too (if I had a 34" inseam :) I'm looking forward to the lower center of gravity and improved seating position. Thank goodness there is enough knowledgeable feedback on this site to figure what every different person needs to fit their own unique body.

#10 ·
#11 · (Edited)
No thanks Joe! I had a stock Kawasaki plastic green one from the PO. I appreciate the offer though. It looks like a pain to dick with, but if you don't have any choice, they are probably good to keep on hand. When I had my Norton Commandos with terrible long drooping kickstands, i used to use flattened Coke cans, lol. We've come a long way since then :grin2:

Joe, you don't need to buy a stinkin' BMW: you already got one! Save your money and enjoy the Japanese cycles.

#16 · (Edited)
I finally converted to Speedy's flat foot and wouldn't think about ever changing back. It doesn't sink when I park the bike and has never given me a problem going through the twisties. Highly recommended! Speedy's highway bars look like a possible future addition. My bike is just lowered in the back with Speedy's lowering kit. I chose not to drop the front and it has worked out very well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#19 ·
Just to clarify things a bit :)

Saddlebag,
You have a 2015 Versys 1000 that you lowered with your own lowering kit, right? Then you got my flatfoot for lowering kit which was designed to work with my lowering kit (doesn't lower the bike as low as yours) hence the scraping while cornering that you wrote about. Should've mentioned it to be fair.

Speedy

#22 ·
Just to clarify things a bit :)

Saddlebag,
You have a 2015 Versys 1000 that you lowered with your own lowering kit, right? Then you got my flatfoot for lowering kit which was designed to work with my lowering kit (doesn't lower the bike as low as yours) hence the scraping while cornering that you wrote about. Should've mentioned it to be fair.

Speedy
:thanx:
I have a considerable amount of your products on my 07, and was wondering about that statement---as I am actively looking at a 2015 Versys 650 ABS

#23 ·
Thanks Onewizard!

I test everything extensively and make sure that all my mods work well before letting them go into the world. If I'm not 100% happy with them, I change them until they are perfect. Since you are looking into getting a new bike, I just want to mention that the 2015-16 Versys 650 is a different bike from the 2015-16 Versys 1000 and the mods are not interchangeable.

Take care,
Speedy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.