Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Are Vs. 650 OEM sprockets Steel or AL?

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Mursili 
#1 ·
I was thinking about trying the front rubber dampened sprocket out, but not if it is AL. The OEM rear sprocket is about $20 cheaper than a Sunstar steel rear sprocket so it may be AL - ?? The front rubber cushioned is only $10 more, but it may be AL ??

My Sunstar steel sprockets still look good, but the rubber dampened front sprocket seemed interesting for sure. Why don't they have critical information like this on the oem parts database??

THANKS!!

#2 ·
#4 ·
Thanks Walter! It's what I assumed from the expert postings here: enough to pull the trigger.

I'm looking forward to getting my parts. But getting all the specials including shipping, they won't all be here for at least a couple of weeks. I've got another oil change (in miles) in my chain now (I hope.)

#6 ·
13144 is 15 tooth. There are no other oem transmission output sprocket sizes from Partzilla's Kawasaki database (for 2012 anyway). All the oem databases are the same (but Parzilla's is usually cheaper because they are the biggest parts house there is.) Their online oem databases are visually cleaner than others too.

Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts 2012 KLE650CCF Versys TRANSMISSION Diagram

#8 ·
I'd skip the aluminum sprockets. We riders are an emotional bunch when it comes to keeping up with our bikes. We change the oil way more frequently than we need as with other maintenance to keep things as new as possible...as if we can give them life eternal.

Fact is, I've never noticed enough wear on a steel sprocket that it's actually been worth changing. I have and likely will continue to as I also suffer this emotional affliction. Aluminum OTOH, is not up to the job. The aluminum sprockets I've used broke teeth long before their new chain was ready to replace.

Unless you're racing and need to shave every ounce to cut your lap time, I'd leave the aluminum sprockets to those who do. Steel ones are a FAR better choice for the real world.

#10 ·
Fact is, I've never noticed enough wear on a steel sprocket that it's actually been worth changing.
At about 18,000 miles I knew that my chain/sprockets were through. In the end, the OEM front sprocket was the problem. I think that I caused the most wear when I had my chain a bit too tight for some time. I am sure that you can wear steel sprockets. Then again, since half of this forum owns a Versys for about 6 months, this may never really bother them.

Reactions: saddlebag
#11 ·
When ever I have needed to change a chain, the front sprocket has been toast as well. The rear seems to last slightly longer, maybe every second chain replacement.

I highly recommend in investing in a chain breaker and rivet tool like this one. One chain change and it has more than paid for itself and you'll always have the tool. Lots of YouTube videos on how to use it. It's very easy and quick to use.

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY - Chain Breaker and Rivet Tool Kit - Multi-Tools - Tools - Accessories - Cycle Gear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.