Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Improving the sound on stock exhaust

30K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  silviefox 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I finally got a 2014 Versys. My other bike is a KTM 690, so the extra cylinder, smoothness, and comfort have me very happy.

I really like the look of the stock exhaust, and how it looks seamless on the bike, but the sound is just too damn quiet. I don't long for an ultra loud, look at me bitch, type of sound, just a little more bark. Is there any somewhat easy way to achieve this with the stock exhaust? I cannot weld.

I read about taking out the snorkels in the airbox, but can't find much more.

Thanks

#7 ·
I actually improved the sound of my stock muffler very easily. I know you're all expecting some joke about how i threw it in the bin/cut the back off/replaced it with a trumpet etc... But all i did was (the squeamish amongst you should properly leave now) i sharpened a 10mm Steel bar, bowed it slightly, fed it into my exhaust as far as it would go and then hit it with a lump hammer until it touched the front wall of the silencer! Tried that. Not enough so i went again. Twice. 3 holes altogether. It's not super loud and it's certainly nowhere close to an aftermarket can but it cost me ?2 (about $2 i think!). Bearing in mind my catalytic converter is still intact (meaning the bike is technically still legal. Very important here in germany) its definitely an improvement.

Hear for yourself on one of my videos...

https://youtu.be/wa20uY68fNo

#8 · (Edited)
I actually improved the sound of my stock muffler very easily... I sharpened a 10mm Steel bar, bowed it slightly, fed it into my exhaust as far as it would go and then hit it with a lump hammer until it touched the front wall of the silencer! Tried that. Not enough so i went again. Twice. 3 holes altogether.

https://youtu.be/wa20uY68fNo
I remember seeing that muffler puncture mod, but I can't find it!

You sound like Jenson Button in your amazing videos! :surprise:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.