Neat little voltmeter (review) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Neat little voltmeter (review)

Kuryakyn LED Battery Gauge

I ordered this voltmeter the other day and just now got it installed. I slid the positive wire into a connection already in place for my HID headlight. Grounded it using a terminal around a screw right next to the high beam. In retrospect, maybe not the best way to do it, because I can't see battery voltage before starting the engine, but it should do for now. I'd hook it up to the small parking light if I wanted that. Too much of a pain to get to for today. I think I'd be able to figure out if my battery went bad though.

Thoughts: Very nice LEDs that feature an auto-dimmer at night. Might still be bright for some people, but with my riding position at least, that section of the handlebar is out of view (I'm a tall dude). Came with strong adhesive foam on the back. Overall, very pleased so far! I'll update back with any issues at night.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4218-Black-L-E-D-Battery/dp/B000GU5WNO
Here it is installed, looking pretty sleek with the bike I think:

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 18,000 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 239,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 AM

Glad your happy with it. Its a little busy for me.

I bought one off Ebay per a member recommendation here who posted a link to his and I love it. It is very inconspicuous on the dash. It is a voltmeter built into the back of a multicolor LED. The circuit board is about the size of my pinky fingernail. Something neat about it is when I first turn the key, it is amber indicating >12.45 volts. After the bike starts and idles up a few seconds, it goes green. This tells me it is actually measuring something instead of just staying green.

It is solid green when the bike is properly charging and it blinks and turns orange and red with different patterns as the voltage drops. Ebay Link.

aboyandhisversys likes this.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 05-22-2013 at 08:27 AM.
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Despite my love of all things gauges, I really like that little indicator light. If my new one ever breaks or gets annoying, I'll probably go that route. I just don't have a drill or anything, so I skipped that option for now. I know my manhood isn't complete until I buy a quality drill, working on it!

2012 Kawasaki Versys 650 - 18,000 miles
2000 Volvo V70XC 2.4T - 239,000 miles

post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
I know my manhood isn't complete until I buy a quality drill, working on it!
Small piece of advice when drilling through panels. Use small bits and work your way up to the final size. I probably used 5 or 6 bits to get to the hole size I needed.
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
Despite my love of all things gauges, I really like that little indicator light. If my new one ever breaks or gets annoying, I'll probably go that route. I just don't have a drill or anything, so I skipped that option for now. I know my manhood isn't complete until I buy a quality drill, working on it!
Ed - talk with one of your line-maintenance guys. MOST I've met over the years were only too happy to give a hand!

(I use and like the Ryobi Li-ion 18V 1/2" drills.)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post

I bought one off Ebay per a member recommendation here who posted a link to his and I love it. It is very inconspicuous on the dash. It is a voltmeter built into the back of a multicolor LED. The circuit board is about the size of my pinky fingernail. Something neat about it is when I first turn the key, it is amber indicating >12.45 volts. After the bike starts and idles up a few seconds, it goes green. This tells me it is actually measuring something instead of just staying green.

It is solid green when the bike is properly charging and it blinks and turns orange and red with different patterns as the voltage drops. Ebay Link.

Thanks for the link Capn'. I ordered one today!

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 04:19 PM

Well. That would have been handy when my stator blew out and only got a clue when the battery eventually went dead and bike wouldn't start. Duh.
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Thanks for the link Capn'. I ordered one today!
You should be pleased and the piece of mind knowing your charging is nice.
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 PM

thanks Cap'n, just ordered one as well

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
You should be pleased and the piece of mind knowing your charging is nice.

Hey just out of curiosity... what windshield is that in the picture? Looks like it's opaque plastic.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Hey just out of curiosity... what windshield is that in the picture? Looks like it's opaque plastic.
Kawasaki OEM Tall. It transitions to clear.

post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 AM
MTS

Cool screen kirk! You would like another light on the panel! Its the capt in ya!

It is a good idea!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Cool screen kirk! You would like another light on the panel! Its the capt in ya!

It is a good idea!
I keep toggling through the instument panel looking for Warp Factor instead of the measly little MPH or KPH!
post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I keep toggling through the instument panel looking for Warp Factor instead of the measly little MPH or KPH!
Captain, captain - I canna gi' ya any MORE...!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:44 AM

Rather than just guessing the voltage by gauging the colours of the led indicators, why not get an accurate reading all the time?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #16 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
Rather than just guessing the voltage by gauging the colours of the led indicators, why not get an accurate reading all the time?
Please don't think I am against your indicator or any others. Good to know your system is working instead of finding out too late no matter what device is used.

To answer your question, I could care less what the actual voltage is as long as it is operating the bike and keeping the battery properly charged. I have more to worry about riding than if my bike drops .2 volts. With the multi-color LED, I get a green light while underway which gives me peace of mind. If I am rolling and see any other color or pattern, that will give me a heads up to pull my little cheatsheet out and see how bad the problem is. I do not memorize the colors or patterns because mine is always green and non intrusive. If the voltages flucuate on an indicator like yours even a little, I would be more distracted as the numbers change and carch my eye. Just my $.02

I believe that often without a gauge of some sort, we could be far from home or service and not know we are beginning to have a faulty charging system.

Cheers!
Smiley likes this.

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 05-30-2013 at 02:44 PM.
post #17 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:

how did you wire yours up so that it only comes on when the power is on? I notice it comes with very short wires (didn't read that I could order it longer), so thus it's gonna have to stay close to the dash.

Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug

post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
how did you wire yours up so that it only comes on when the power is on? I notice it comes with very short wires (didn't read that I could order it longer), so thus it's gonna have to stay close to the dash.
I wired mine into the accessory plug under the front left side of the bike. This is just behind the left forks. I did solder longer wires to the device so that I could make the run. When you take off the left fairings, look for a square 4 socket plug just hanging around. Use a meter to find the ground and the switched hot. I just used spade terminals crimped/soldered to my longer wires and plugged them in. I then taped them in place with electrical tape to make sure they would never vibrate out.
post #19 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 04:53 PM

don't have any vacant plugs under any of the fairings, since all this does is monitor the charging system to let me know it's working, I would think it could be tapped into any switched source, I'm looking at taping into one of the running lights.

Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug

post #20 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colodak View Post
don't have any vacant plugs under any of the fairings, since all this does is monitor the charging system to let me know it's working, I would think it could be tapped into any switched source, I'm looking at taping into one of the running lights.
Maybe they added this plug on the 2010's+?

Can anyone confirm? My plug was not hidden when I pulled my left fairings.

Tapping into a running light should work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode