Neat little voltmeter (review) - Page 5 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Same One/ all Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Just ordered one of these......https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .Will just velcro it to the MotoWerks GPS Mount i use to stick my Drift Camera Remote & Garage Door Opener.

P1010712 by weljo2001, on Flickr
That is the same one, just all green LED's, much better display of the parts shipped with it, the 3M backing and the stainless studs and nuts/ washers, thanks for posting and I am expecting a short video when it comes, with the key on, running at idle with high beam on and fan, and at 4000 RPM with normal loads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
That is the same one, just all green LED's, much better display of the parts shipped with it, the 3M backing and the stainless studs and nuts/ washers, thanks for posting and I am expecting a short video when it comes, with the key on, running at idle with high beam on and fan, and at 4000 RPM with normal loads

I going to connect it to a switched line. They had a model with red,yellow and green lights for 2 bucks cheaper but it didn't show a waterproof rating so i went with the one i posted above...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #83 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Waterproof

Quote:
I going to connect it to a switched line. They had a model with red,yellow and green lights for 2 bucks cheaper but it didn't show a waterproof rating so i went with the one i posted above...
Thanks Joe, yes my red, yellow,green is waterproof, in another thread I mention I have puposely pressure washed it, cost something like $12 to my door, but took 6 weeks from China, for the extra money, well worth buying where you did, I have had my share of shipping from China problems this year, not really sure what changed from 2015.

post #84 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Thanks Joe, yes my red, yellow,green is waterproof, in another thread I mention I have puposely pressure washed it, cost something like $12 to my door, but took 6 weeks from China, for the extra money, well worth buying where you did, I have had my share of shipping from China problems this year, not really sure what changed from 2015.

Yea, I saw it listed on another site for about $16.00 but it said it could take between 30-60 days to receive. So i went with trusty Amazon. I like it because i won't have to drill the dash. Don't even want to stick it to the dash thats why i'm mounting it to the GPS Mount. I've been lucky with the stuff i've received from China usually less than 2 weeks but i was leary of using a credit card on a web-site i was not familiar with.
onewizard likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #85 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:16 AM

So, got my customized voltmeter/thermometer installed in the left 28mm hole.

(tip: get a flex shaft screwdriver, and it is way easier to work when you remove the whole windshield and brackets (only 2 x 10mm bolts)).

This is an ordinary thermo/volt meter you would normally plug in a lighter hole, but
I disassembled the whole rear part, kept just the front case and circuit board.
I dipped the whole board in 3m bumper epoxy (in many progressive steps for a good job)
and ultimately epoxy-slapped a 1" pvc pipe fitting on the back of it, with its pvc nut (couple dollars at home depot).

The ignition 12V + ground comes from the relay connector with regular 1/4 inch flat terminal, wrapped in electrical tape.

Freubel and Doug Just Doug like this.
post #86 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 PM

Garage
My Voltmeter showed up yesterday. The cord was shorter than i expected but i knew i had an old gps wiring stashed away. Well i stashed it to good because i couldn't find it so went to ACE Harware bought 4 feet of wiring to make sure i had enough. It comes with Velcro and some bolts and nuts if you want to screw it down. I used some heavy duty velcro i use on everything. Mounted it to my old MotoWerk GPS Mount wired it up to the Admore Wiring Harness that i took off my FJR so its connected to a switched supply. Turn on the bike and everything worked like it should. Did it during the afternoon so it was sunny when i took the photos almost 80 degrees. Also took a photo of in the shade inside the garage. So far i like it...https://www.amazon.com/SEARON-Batter...WAE5V1CMGKEXPG

Voltmeter by weljo2001, on Flickr

onewizard and quexpress like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-07-2017 at 05:37 PM.
post #87 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:22 PM

if you are into DIY projects, you can make your own super small digital voltmeter (not just dot led but actual meaningful voltage)
for 1$
Mini 0.28" DC Digital Volt Meter Panel Mount LED Voltage 2.50-30V 12V Red Blue | eBay

Just find a base mold of the shape you would like, soak a tissue in silicon lube and wipe the mold (so epoxy wont stick).
Fill with flexible epoxy (3M black stuff in auto department) and sit this votlmeter in it (with fixation bolt if so desired)
Let cure, pop out of mold, fix the shape (polish, drill hole, etc.)

Last edited by dddd; 03-07-2017 at 07:26 PM.
post #88 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 05:55 AM

for the temp/volt meter I used above (ebay link will get obsolete of course, but rely on the name and search "12v voltmeter thermometer" and you will find it)
12V 24V Dual Display Car Battery Monitor Voltmeter Thermometer LED RGB Digital | eBay
post #89 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:01 AM

Garage
Greetings, thanks for your post. I was looking for something simple for voltage monitoring, and this is it. I ordered one yesterday, the "Monsoon" edition. Thanks for the useful post.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
post #90 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:07 AM

Garage
Really, really nice job! I saw these and wondered if this could be done. I am glad someone else is as driven as I am on an idea!

BEST,
ANDY

post #91 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:10 AM

Garage
Thanks for the post. I looked at these and dismissed them because they are not water proof...thanks for the info on how to do this. Sounds like a fun project. Which display color will show up best in the sunlight...green?

BEST,
ANDY

post #92 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
for the temp/volt meter I used above (ebay link will get obsolete of course, but rely on the name and search "12v voltmeter thermometer" and you will find it)
12V 24V Dual Display Car Battery Monitor Voltmeter Thermometer LED RGB Digital | eBay
Apologies to DDDD for my earlier PM for a parts source. I initially thought these were a hole mount device and not a 12v socket mount device he modified.

I purchased one of these last year for I think $8 to use in my dash 12V socket. It worked great initially, temp was accurate and so was voltage although it does not register freezing temps below 0C, perhaps because it cannot display negative values. The only issue is the wire with the sensor snapped off from frequent bending, where it joins the base, after only light use. I think I am going to try this project again but with the dash mounting mod that would seem to prevent the sensor wire from flexing and deteriorating.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-08-2017 at 07:40 AM.
post #93 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Garage
Just got back from a ride to test out the meter. I also put a 12V Cigarette Style Voltmeter in the dash. When i switch the bike on it showed all but one green light on. When cranked all lit up and stayed at 100% with the heated grips,gps on and honking the stebel horn. The plug in Voltmeter went down to 12.5v when the heated grips, gps were on and horn was honked. Will keep it because it shows me the battery status when the key is turned on. I have it on a switched line. I should have went for the one like onewizard has thats the one i wanted but you live and learn. Might switch it out later along with the wiring i got from Ace Hardware. Told the guy what i was hooking the monitor up to and showed it to him so he got the right size wire just not the right wire. What he gave me was electrical wire like you would run in a house not a car or bike. But it worked so i'll keep it for now....Next time i go shopping i will have to take my eyeglasses...

P1010515 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-08-2017 at 07:10 PM.
post #94 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:14 PM

Since there are pics flowing.....and who doesn't like scooter pictures? Here's my 2009 set up. Not super farkled as I'm not -that- adventures yet. Combo voltmeter/dual usb set up was $12.xx on ebay and the gps/phone mount was a crashed aluminum clip on bar from one of my old race bikes and $1.68 in 3/4" adel clamps from Home Depot. So all total, probably $1000 in the making there! 😂 Not shown it the $8 "waterproof" bag for my phone or gps.... You might say cheap is a theme on my V!

post #95 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 07:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
My Voltmeter showed up yesterday. The cord was shorter than i expected but i knew i had an old gps wiring stashed away. Well i stashed it to good because i couldn't find it so went to ACE Harware bought 4 feet of wiring to make sure i had enough. It comes with Velcro and some bolts and nuts if you want to screw it down. I used some heavy duty velcro i use on everything. Mounted it to my old MotoWerk GPS Mount wired it up to the Admore Wiring Harness that i took off my FJR so its connected to a switched supply. Turn on the bike and everything worked like it should. Did it during the afternoon so it was sunny when i took the photos almost 80 degrees. Also took a photo of in the shade inside the garage. So far i like it...https://www.amazon.com/SEARON-Batter...WAE5V1CMGKEXPG

Went ahead and ordered this today....https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ... & this ..... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 To get it right i will take off the monitor in the above photos and connect it to the oldest boys GSXR-750 which he's had stored for about a year now that way i won't have to leave the battery tender hooked to it so much...
onewizard likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-08-2017 at 07:11 PM.
post #96 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Telephone Extension

Here is a little tip, I keep odd stuff around, happened to have a telephone extension line that is meant to hook into a base and run to a remote station, it was 3 wire 28 or 30 gauge, but the strands were twisted with reinforcing, used them for my led strip lights on the bark buster hand guards, it was black and I also had heat shrink available if needed . Calculated voltage drop was 1 volt DC, so they are rated 9 to 18 volts. Yes I have about 75 pictures and Corel software I have never used. May attempt to get cracking and do some posting.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #97 of 97 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:33 PM

Garage
[quote=weljo2001;1344185]https://www.amazon.com/SEARON-Batter...WAE5V1CMGKEXPG

Just replaced the one above with this one like one wizard has......https://www.amazon.com/Searon-Batter...PWJFSMSC73P01T

Key Off
P1010753 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Key On
P1010754 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Engine Running
P1010755 by weljo2001, on Flickr
onewizard likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-15-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode