kawasaki Vario Windshield? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

kawasaki Vario Windshield?

Anyone have any experience with the kawasaki Vario Windshield? It looks like it is a tinted Givi D410ST with a MRA Vario Touring Screen mounted on it.

Looks like it may be the best of both worlds.

http://www.kawasaki.com/KawasakiNew/...&CategoryID=31

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 AM

I had it on my first gen Versys. It's better than stock but it's not the holy grail. I'm 6'2", 34" inseam. I was able to solve the helmet buffeting with a madstad bracket and this screen, but it was a windy ride on the rest of my body.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 07:00 AM

Hey there. I just bought an MRA touring screen, and added one of the new MRA X-Creen spoilers to it. It's like a vario, but bigger and more moveable in it's range. I'm 6'1 and LOVE it.
I did a write up in the cosmetic forum,.......New windscreen..MRA Touring+X-Creen!
Cheers,
BIGO
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM

Garage
I put over 7000 miles on the Versys with the Kawasaki Vario screen. First thing I can tell you is that it is darker tint than the catalog shows which is a good thing IMO.

I mostly ride with the vario part down but when I want some more wind protection if it is raining, bugs are thick, or it got cold on me, it is nice to be able to just reach forward and add protection.

I prefer to have my head in the clean air than behind a windshield and with the Vario I get the best of both worlds.

You can see it on my bike here: Took a little ride this summer. and here: The Versys is almost complete
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I put over 7000 miles on the Versys with the Kawasaki Vario screen. First thing I can tell you is that it is darker tint than the catalog shows which is a good thing IMO.

I mostly ride with the vario part down but when I want some more wind protection if it is raining, bugs are thick, or it got cold on me, it is nice to be able to just reach forward and add protection.

I prefer to have my head in the clean air than behind a windshield and with the Vario I get the best of both worlds.

You can see it on my bike here: Took a little ride this summer. and here: The Versys is almost complete
How tall are you?

I'm 6' 3".
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Agreed!
My bike came with this windshield and I've put 2500k miles on it so far. (I'm 6'8")

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdfarnham View Post
Agreed!
My bike came with this windshield and I've put 2500k miles on it so far. (I'm 6'8")

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Cool ill give it a try then.

Thanks everyone
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 AM

Garage
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 08:39 PM

Garage
Just ordered one let you know in a few weeks
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

The one I ordered came in today. I'll install it in a little while, try it out and let everyone know how it is.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

I didn't know where to start with placement so I just mounted it on the holes for the highest position and moved the adjustable blade to the highest setting.

I took it for a short ride and it turns out that those settings worked just fine. It eliminated the buffering I was getting that was shaking my head to death. It didn't do anything for wind noise but I didn't think it was going to. I'm just happy that the windshield is smoothing out or redirecting the wind that was causing all the harsh buffering.

It is smaller than I thought it was going to be and it is darker than all the pictures show it, that's not a bad thing IMHO.

I'll ride with it a little more and try and get some better pictures of it.

Last edited by Wonker; 11-02-2012 at 01:19 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 05:19 PM

Looks good.....and I think the tinted screen really improves the looks of the bike
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 AM

Garage
Fitted mine a week ago in the highest position and did some short rides, I put the Vario screen to the top and did a 240 km ride today and for me it fixed the buffeting and wind noise, I am only 5'7" though.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 07:27 AM

Garage
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 05:52 PM

Garage
What did you say???????
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 06:49 AM

+1 on earplugs. It solves all my noise problems.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 01:09 PM

Garage
Never used earplugs till I got the Versys, now with the Vario screen I don't need them.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
+1 on earplugs. It solves all my noise problems.
Problem I find with earplugs is that after about 6 hours or so, they start hurting like mad.

Can anyone tell me whether this windscreen significantly cut down on wind noise? I'm 5' 11" and have the Shoei Neotec and even with the stock windscreen on the highest setting, there is still quite a bit of wind noise.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 03:41 AM

Garage
I'm 5'7" as I mentioned above and it has fixed the wind noise for me, the only problem is now the windshield vibrates badly at 4,500 rpm. About your earplugs hurting, I use ear putty which totally moulds itself to your ears. My ear canals are tiny and ear plugs and ear buds will not go into my ears, but the ear putty is great you can break off a small piece you don't need to use a whole one.

Last edited by MaverickAus; 11-14-2012 at 03:45 AM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to MotoSailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by yychow0812 View Post
Problem I find with earplugs is that after about 6 hours or so, they start hurting like mad.
Which ones are you using? I use some Howard Leight that I bought in bulk on FleaBay, so I'm pretty loose with them in terms of frequent replacements. Just the standard Laserlite ones. If plugs still hurt after switching brands, it might be worth looking into custom jobbies. They cost around $100 and I've got a friend here in D.C. who swears by them. They exclude road, MC and wind frequencies, but he can still hear voice frequencies perfectly. (It's voo-doo!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode