It didn't exist, so I made it myself... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Talking It didn't exist, so I made it myself...

Soooooo, I've been looking for a few months for a unique solution to enable me to add a few things to my Versys without making permanent modifications. Specifically, I'm talking about a way to add
  1. Heated grips without drilling any holes in my dash
  2. A Powerlet without drilling any holes in my dash
  3. And, my iPhone which I use as my GPS, telephone, iPod, web browser while on the road, etc.

And, to top it all off, it had to be inexpensive and good looking!

I liked the look of the Motowerk GPS mounts, but it has no accommodation for the switches and Powerlet. I liked the Highway Dirt Bikes clamp solution (it's super-slick) but didn't accommodate the iPhone. So, after feeling like I had made it to the far side of the inter-webs and back again without success I reverted back to my engineering habits and broke out my caliper and my favorite 3D modeling software - Solidworks. I measured the bike and then designed my bracket to be built from steel sheet metal. Back when I was an engineer I would have had the thing cut on the laser cutter where I was working, but I don't have those luxuries anymore...

Instead, I got to work with the hand tools I had available:

Then I bought the cheapest sheet metal brake I could find at Harbor Freight and bent it up just like my design. In the end, I'm extremely happy with how it came out! I bought the Symtec heated grips and a Powerlet socket to be installed, and finished it off with a Ram Mounts Finger Grip smartphone mount. When ordering the Ram Mount I was concerned about how firmly it would hold the iPhone, but now I see that there is zero issue with that!

Here it is installed on the bike:

Right Side, with Symtec switch:

And Left Side, with Powerlet socket:

Also, one other cool part about this is that the iPhone integrates with my Sena SMH-10 extremely well. The voice control functions allow me to control the music and hear GPS instructions without having to wear earphones and have them plugged in. It's all Bluetooth, so no wires!

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate any feedback since I may have a few more of them made by people with real tools!

2009 Versys
SW Motech Engine Gaurds, SW Motech Alu Rack, KTM handgaurds, Custom iPhone mount with Powerlet and heated grip switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:27 AM

Wow, and it works? I'm stealing your patent.
Just kidding. I don't use all those gizmos. I hope it doesn't distract you too much on the road... Mabe add an LCD screen to watch movies, and a Playstation?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Yep, it works great! Of course, I fully advocate keeping maximum attention on the road and surroundings!!! Because of this, and convenience, most of the time the phone stays in my pocket while I'm riding.

So, in the end, it's a really cool setup, but I could get away with only the heated grip switch for 99% of the riding I do. I love my heated grips! I thought some of you guys with more time available for taking multi-day trips would like this. I hope to have a chance to fully try it out on a multi-day camping trip later this summer once things settle down with the newborn....

2009 Versys
SW Motech Engine Gaurds, SW Motech Alu Rack, KTM handgaurds, Custom iPhone mount with Powerlet and heated grip switch

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:36 AM

You better be ready..

for a LOT of requests for that! Very impressive design. I like that it is over the instruments, (more in your field of view without looking down) and hides the ugly parts,(power socket,ect.) If you get a "Lifeproof" case your Iphone will be waterproof, too. You don't mention it, but if you have the 4 hole "AMPS" pattern drilled in the center, most Zumo's and Tom Tom riders will bolt right up. If you drill the pattern close to the bottom edge, the Zumo 660/665 will work.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Good job. Get ready for a lot of requests for it.

There is a guy near me who works in a machine shop and did something similar to what you did. He has a sportbike, can't remember which one now, that he bought with some damage to the tank fairing. The shop let him have some scrap composite material and he made a new fairing with a slot milled out for his I-phone right on top, complete with wiring. He did an awesome job designing and fabbing it up, even did a great job on the paint. It really looks like it come from the factory I-phone ready.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 AM

Pretty neat! If you don't want to go into production with those I'd bet Speedy would be interested in acquiring your design.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 PM

I know how you feel about stuff that doesn't exist

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM

That is neat! I know exactly how you feel about drilling holes in your bike. I have been wanting to put an outlet on for a while now but just haven't wanted it bad enough to drill the holes. The 2011 have a different windshield mounting system otherwise I would be running to the metal shop at work and trying to copy you! LOL I wonder what creation I can come up with for mine
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback everybody!!!

Kimel and others: I never said I wouldn't be willing to go into production with it! I'd just need enough requests to make it feasible to make a batch of them... Just sayin'.

Fullcircle: I have the Otterbox Commuter Series case on my iPhone, and it fits tight as a (insert your favorite saying here ) I initially tried a spring-loaded RAM iPhone mount that resulted in tons of buzzing at virtually all RPM's. Just switched to the one in the pictures and it's totally quiet.

Didn't think about the AMPS pattern initially, but that's a great idea. I found a spec here:
http://www.gpscity.com/support/glossary
It would be easy enough to cut more holes in the sheet metal, if it would allow mounting more devices.

Any other features/ideas that others would find valuable?

2009 Versys
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 PM

I would grab one at the right price. I might attempt to make one, but unfortunately, I don't have the tools, like a metal brake to do it properly.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 12:14 PM

That is exactly what Ive been looking for.. I wish someone had that in stainless steel, I would be all over buying one.. Any chance you would share your specs or did you do it on the fly?

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

I'm back!

It's been a little hectic over the last year, but I did have a chance to take a 1700 mile trip with this setup to Jackson Hole and back. Overall, the setup worked great, and is definitely sturdy enough to handle any off-road adventures I can throw at it (spent a few hundred miles off-highway in Northern Colorado and in Wyoming).

Along the way I noticed a few ways to improve it so I'm going to make a beta version that has the following features:
  • Concealed self-clinching fasteners for a more integrated, OEM look and easier installation
  • Angled side plates for better operation with the larger Givi windshield
  • Flip the heated grip switch to the clutch side and the Powerlet to the throttle side

Thanks for all the comments!

2009 Versys
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 04:01 PM

Nice job on this project. Isn't it nice when it works so well and price is right?

I guess that the metal brake, was a key to completing this project. Sure looks neat and professional.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM

I think it's a great idea and I would buy one. Not so interested in the heater switch, I think it'd be cool to have a powerlet on each side for my usage.

It'd be cool if you could extend a little rectangular plate for a GI Pro gear indicator.

Well done!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 PM

In New Zealand we call that Kiwi ingenuity, so in America it must be yankee ingenuity. Well done, clever idea.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM

Please keep us updated. I am really interested in a unit.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Awesome!

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode