Second Versys with more damage than it should because of **** luggage design. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Second Versys with more damage than it should because of **** luggage design.

I'm trying to find luggage guards for my 2015 versys 650 lt. I have now ruined TWO of these bikes because of A) major stupidity on my part in both cases, and B) the luggage snaps off and ruins the entire rear assembly of the bike. I'm thinking of replacing the stock bags with better metal ones at this point with a more secure mounting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:31 AM

Garage
The luggage snaps off? Like in a crash??

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:06 PM

I had no problem with them, what happen?

Versys 2015 Green

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:28 PM

Garage
If damage is from wrecks, metal bags will probably damage sub frame.
Lours_Polaire likes this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If damage is from wrecks, metal bags will probably damage sub frame.
Here's what my '09 (wearing aluminum panniers bolted on) looked like after a 20 to 30 mph 'low-side' on the Dempster Hwy near Inuvik. It was written-off when I returned home.

Apparently the frame was 'tweaked'....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 04:56 PM

is not this happening in a crash, no matter what hard luggage you have?

Versys 2015 Green
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Would call it a crash as much as an "At speed tip-over" But the whole thing is just held on by that little piece of plastic. I may invest in a set of Givi Outbacks and a decent mounting system. I'm lucky that this time insurance is repairing instead of writing it off. But i'm worried about the next time (if it happens, hopefully I won't have to deal with this ever again!)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:16 PM

Garage
Pictures would be helpful, not sure what you are talking about.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkbeef View Post
Would call it a crash as much as an "At speed tip-over" But the whole thing is just held on by that little piece of plastic. I may invest in a set of Givi Outbacks and a decent mounting system. I'm lucky that this time insurance is repairing instead of writing it off. But i'm worried about the next time (if it happens, hopefully I won't have to deal with this ever again!)
an "at speed tip over"? Sounds like a low-side, or a high-side depending on which side you "tip over".

Either way, it is a crash.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 11:10 AM

Nothing is really going to stand up in a "crash".............falling off the kick stand is even going to mess something up most likely. It's a plastic bike...............
turn8a and 407guy like this.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
Nothing is really going to stand up in a "crash".............falling off the kick stand is even going to mess something up most likely. It's a plastic bike...............

+1.

Not sure what the OP is expecting when the bike ends up on its side.

*shrug*
steve1503 likes this.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Mods: Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 AM

I'm no engineer, but I'd think that if the frame or sub-frame is prone to getting tweaked in a mild get-off, then harder side cases and/or guards will transfer even more force to the frame and increase the chances of frame damage. Perhaps soft luggage would be better?
Lours_Polaire and silviefox like this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l., MSTA

Mods/Farkles: Puig "Touring" windscreen, Givi hand guards, BMW Sport Grips, Omni-Cruise throttle lock, Motowerk mirror extenders, SW-Motech gas cap mount tankbag, Denali Mini Soundbomb horn, Mag-Knight tank pad, SW-Motech steel luggage rack, SW-Motech Quick-Lock Evo side racks, Givi E-22 side cases, Givi V-47 top case, Motorwerk side stand foot, Motowerk highway peg set-up, SW-Motech wide foot pegs, SW-Motech GPS shelf, decalectomy
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
+1.

Not sure what the OP is expecting when the bike ends up on its side.

*shrug*
Guess I shouldn't have expected much! The bike is in the shop and luckily not being written off. I am ordering Givi trecker cases instead of the OEM ones.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 06:23 AM

High and low side airbags are the only thing I can see to help you now

IronMan likes this.

2016 Orange Versys 650 LT , 2015 CSC RX3, 2011 Ural Gear Up
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:05 AM

Garage
You probably want soft luggage for those conditions. They make really nice, durable soft luggage that will survive a "crash" like that. Mosko Moto for example.

lanebanger likes this.

Last edited by zirconx; 04-28-2017 at 08:17 AM.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Guess I shouldn't have expected much! The bike is in the shop and luckily not being written off. I am ordering Givi trecker cases instead of the OEM ones.
Let us know the next time you crash.

Sounds like you bought the wrong bike. The Versys is a street bike. You need a dual sport that is meant to handle low sides off road.

My Versys Travels:

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Let us know the next time you crash.

Sounds like you bought the wrong bike. The Versys is a street bike. You need a dual sport that is meant to handle low sides off road.
I was debating on getting a KLR, but the fact is. 95% of my riding is pavement riding, with a bit of dirt at the end of the day to get to a campsite. I use my bike as a commuter as well as a leisure tool so I figured the versys is the best of both worlds. Ideally I would love an 800gs, but it's out of the budget.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 10:15 AM

Garage
Quote:
I was debating on getting a KLR, but the fact is. 95% of my riding is pavement riding, with a bit of dirt at the end of the day to get to a campsite. I use my bike as a commuter as well as a leisure tool so I figured the versys is the best of both worlds. Ideally I would love an 800gs, but it's out of the budget.
Even a lightly used 800GS is more expensive than a Versys 650LT? Of course, according to Consumer Reports, BMW rates low on reliability compared to Kawasaki.

My Versys Travels:

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Even a lightly used 800GS is more expensive than a Versys 650LT? Of course, according to Consumer Reports, BMW rates low on reliability compared to Kawasaki.
That's pretty much why I went with the Kawi. My thought process was that I could get a 2015 versys LT out the door for $6280 with 4,000 miles on it (plus OEM top luggage) or a 2008 800gs with 35,000 miles for about the same price. I just really like how compact the BMW is with pretty solid performance. Anyway, I've learned a lot from this whole ordeal. Will be a lot more careful in roundabouts and have already ordered the Givi Outbacks and a set of Engine guards.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's what my '09 (wearing aluminum panniers bolted on) looked like after a 20 to 30 mph 'low-side' on the Dempster Hwy near Inuvik. It was written-off when I returned home.

Apparently the frame was 'tweaked'....
Gee I dunno. 1,000 miles of gravel ? Something is bound to shake off. One way or another.

No matter where you go - there you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode