Seats: Corbin vs Sargent, Leather vs Vinyl - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Seats: Corbin vs Sargent, Leather vs Vinyl

I've decided to upgrade the seat on the '15 V650 LT. Engine vibration at highway speeds is the main complaint, along with too much pressure on the private parts due to both the forward lean and the shape of the seat. I think getting some of the pressure off of the midline will probably reduce the amount of vibration, too.

I'm 90% certain I'll go with either Corbin or Sargent, though the price is leaving me sympathetic to going with Seat Concepts.

First question then is whether anyone has ridden both brands on a V, and what differences did you find?

Have you noticed any big reduction in engine vibrations with either brand? Corbin says their pan rides on rubber bumpers, which sounds like a good thing.

Corbin comes standard in leather. Any reason not to go with leather? I use the V in good weather around town, plus commuting to work where it might get some rain while parked, and would be in the sun all day 2 or 3 days each week at work. Basically if I use some leather conditioner will that be enough, or will the leather degrade in sun and rain quickly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:59 PM

Garage
IMO Corbin only makes one sitting position which is a cruiser position. I haven't personally sat on a Versys with a Corbin, but have sat on sport touring bikes with Corbin seats.

When sitting in the bucket Corbin creates, I couldn't reach the grips without leaning forward. Just felt strange for a sporting bike. The Versys is a sporting bike, and your legs engaged on the sides of the tank is what keeps you from sliding forward.

There best seat I had on the Versys was the Terry Adcox flat seat. Gave me plenty of room to move around on a long ride.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Garage
Heres a Terry Adcock Flat Seat in case you were curious....

IMG_1493 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:40 PM

I haven't tried both, but I wouldn't say my Corbin saddle puts me in a cruiser position. It's comfortable too.

My leather Corbin saddle started pulling apart at the seams when it was about three years old. That was four years ago and the splitting has stopped, so I haven't got around to getting it recovered yet. When I do, I'll use leather again, knowing I might have to do it again in a few years. Although I treat it more kindly now, because it's no longer parked outside in the Florida sun all day every work day. Now it's in a covered parking garage all day.

2009 Versys
2004 EX-500
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
I haven't tried both, but I wouldn't say my Corbin saddle puts me in a cruiser position. It's comfortable too.

My leather Corbin saddle started pulling apart at the seams when it was about three years old. That was four years ago and the splitting has stopped, so I haven't got around to getting it recovered yet. When I do, I'll use leather again, knowing I might have to do it again in a few years. Although I treat it more kindly now, because it's no longer parked outside in the Florida sun all day every work day. Now it's in a covered parking garage all day.

I used Lexol leather cleaner and Lexol conditioner on my leather motorcycle seats and it worked great...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:26 PM

Garage
Quote:

Compare the Versys, Concours, Triumph Trophy seats to some of the cruiser seats, like the Voyager, Harley touring, etc. The riders bucket all look exactly the same. The are differences based on fitting the bikes, but the bucket is the same.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Garage
I have a Corbin on my 15 LT and it is amazing. It does not feel like a cruiser at all. It sit you perfect with the handlebar height IMO. I have the carbon fiber leather and it looks and feels great. The Corbin is a frim seat but the feeling when you first sit on it is the feeling you will have 10 hours later when you get of the bike. I have hardly and aches or sores from the seat. Only gripe is that it is very very hard to fit on the bike. It actually cracked my tiny plastic piece beside the seat, only visible on the inside, but for the money it should nnot have happened.

Long story short, highly recommend the Corbin in leather.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette96 View Post
I have a Corbin on my 15 LT and it is amazing. It does not feel like a cruiser at all. It sit you perfect with the handlebar height IMO. I have the carbon fiber leather and it looks and feels great. The Corbin is a frim seat but the feeling when you first sit on it is the feeling you will have 10 hours later when you get of the bike. I have hardly and aches or sores from the seat. Only gripe is that it is very very hard to fit on the bike. It actually cracked my tiny plastic piece beside the seat, only visible on the inside, but for the money it should nnot have happened.

Long story short, highly recommend the Corbin in leather.
How many different cruisers have you ridden with Corbin seats on them?

I have ridden and/or sat on many different bikes with Corbin seats. That all sit you upright. Upright doesn't work well if you have to lean forward to reach the handlebars. It puts extra pressure on your lower back. You really want your back in it's natural curve in relation to your hips which is why forward leaning bikes have forward leaning seats. The forward lean rider configuration with upper thighs gripping the tank provides the best control and handling through the curves.

Also, for everyone that loves the firm support of the Corbin there will be those who complain about the lack of bump absorption from such a firm seat.

Conversely, for every person that loves a soft bump absorbing seat, there will be so.eone who hates it.

I believe it has much to do with continuous time in the saddle. The more continuous time in the saddle the more riders lean towards a firm seat.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:47 PM

I have a Sargents low seat and I find it very comfortable...I got it because I needed (or thought I did) a lower seat...I've ridden for days (up to 4 continually) on it with no problems...
SmoothRoad likes this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
I have a Sargents low seat and I find it very comfortable...I got it because I needed (or thought I did) a lower seat...I've ridden for days (up to 4 continually) on it with no problems...

Hillary's thoughts on the Sargent.....

71578_9e5caf2a9418ddae808426f68a6250a6 by weljo2001, on Flickr
aboyandhisversys likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
How many different cruisers have you ridden with Corbin seats on them?

I have ridden and/or sat on many different bikes with Corbin seats. That all sit you upright. Upright doesn't work well if you have to lean forward to reach the handlebars. It puts extra pressure on your lower back. You really want your back in it's natural curve in relation to your hips which is why forward leaning bikes have forward leaning seats. The forward lean rider configuration with upper thighs gripping the tank provides the best control and handling through the curves.

Also, for everyone that loves the firm support of the Corbin there will be those who complain about the lack of bump absorption from such a firm seat.

Conversely, for every person that loves a soft bump absorbing seat, there will be so.eone who hates it.

I believe it has much to do with continuous time in the saddle. The more continuous time in the saddle the more riders lean towards a firm seat.
Then might as well quit riding because there is no such thing as a perfect seat
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
If that is what you need to do. Many of us have tried many seats in search of nirvana.

I have been averaging 25000 miles a year over the past 8 - 10 years, so I don't let a seat slow me down. I carry a sheepskin and an airhawk to change things up.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
I bought an air hawk and love it. It takes a bit of getting used to and raises the seat height a bit but otherwise all good. Also cheap and transferable to my other bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlaskaJeff and BEACHBUM like this.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:06 AM
BKP

This is one of the most subjective buys for a bike (simply because everyone's got a different ass). So, take this with a grain of salt:

I had a Corbin two bikes ago, on an FZ6. It was a plank. If you like hard seats, go with the Corbin. I wasn't impressed.
I put a Sargent on my last bike, a V-Strom.... fell in love with it. It had its own storage underneath, and was actually comfortable as hell.
Soooo... I put a Sargent on my current V650 2015. Love it. It's the standard version, because I'd rather lower the bike, than the seat (that way the leg geometry and ergos remain the same). It does away w/ tank crunch due to forward lean of the stock seat, and it wears like iron (its not leather, but, I prefer non-leather, due to better weather resistance).

The V650 Sargent doesn't have the room for the storage underneath, like the Strom's Sargent, however, it's a solid baseplate, and very well constructed. I'll be happy to post pics, if you like.

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Have you tried raising the front of your seat for $2 BEFORE you spend HUNDREDS...?

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Have you tried raising the front of your seat for $2 BEFORE you spend HUNDREDS...?
Yes, I bought the 3D printed gizmo one of the members here was manufacturing. It helped a lot with the forward slide, and surprisingly didn't seem to make the reach to the ground any higher. The bike also seems to have settled a bit lower after 4,000 miles on the odometer.

The problem I have with the stock seat is engine vibrations, especially at highway speeds. Too much buzzing into the prostate. I'm a skinny guy so there isn't much padding to absorb vibration. I end up with an unpleasant numb-tingle sensation which lasts for hours afterwards. Getting pressure off of the midline with a different shaped seat and more padding in general would likely make a big difference. When I wear padded lycra riding shorts as underwear it helps a lot but not enough. Plus, I commute to work and don't want to wear padded underwear all the time.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
Yes, I bought the 3D printed gizmo one of the members here was manufacturing. It helped a lot with the forward slide, and surprisingly didn't seem to make the reach to the ground any higher. The bike also seems to have settled a bit lower after 4,000 miles on the odometer.

The problem I have with the stock seat is engine vibrations, especially at highway speeds. Too much buzzing into the prostate. I'm a skinny guy so there isn't much padding to absorb vibration. I end up with an unpleasant numb-tingle sensation which lasts for hours afterwards. Getting pressure off of the midline with a different shaped seat and more padding in general would likely make a big difference. When I wear padded lycra riding shorts as underwear it helps a lot but not enough. Plus, I commute to work and don't want to wear padded underwear all the time.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/...256325878.html
Fly-Sig likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post

Based on this post, I would say you don't want a Corbin.

Have you looked into sending your seat to Spencer?

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 04-19-2017 at 07:40 PM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

I've looked at Spencer's website. It is one of the possibilities.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 AM

I have a Seat Concepts on that I've put about 5k miles on so far. I'm liking it. The foam is firm but still has some give. Two longest days were at about 550 miles. I had brought a combination memory foam/gel pad with on that trip and found I was more comfortable without it. Now that is broken in, it seems to fit my butt contour just fine. I'm liking it, and the purchase price worked for me. $2-500 difference is a lot of tanks of gas.

It's not a Russell Day Long, but it's not $700 either.

As an aside, I must really like this Versys. I've put on about 7500 miles since mid December. Yeehaw.

Later.

On temporary duty hammering on the Versys in Arkansas.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode