Is the guy that makes Cherry Bomb mufflers still around? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

3Likes
  • 2 Post By twowheeladdict
  • 1 Post By jdrocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Is the guy that makes Cherry Bomb mufflers still around?

I found a ton of references to Cherry Bomb mufflers in some old threads from '08-'10, but nothing more recently than that. I'm looking for a low-cost exhaust upgrade to improve the sound of my '09 V, and I think this exhaust is the ticket. If anyone has any info on how I can contact this guy, or maybe just buy one online somewhere (I can't find it anywhere), please let me know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 AM

Garage
I wouldn't call that an upgrade. I would call that turning your bike into a redneck noise machine.

Properly tuned exhaust provides the right amount of back pressure as well as exhaust flow.

Might as well just slap a fart can on there and call it good. Then you will fit in with all the 'tuner' cars and obnoxiously loud cruisers.
407guy and aboyandhisversys like this.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your valuable input. Okay, upgrade might not be the best term to use, but I do want a little more noise out of my V, and also do not have much money to put into it since it is a helmet and boot replacement year. Very sorry to offend your tastes, sir.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_o View Post
Very sorry to offend your tastes, sir.
why would that be? no need to be sorry for anything, your bike, do whatever ya want with it.
quexpress likes this.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:27 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
cherrybombs are a brand thats been around as of 1968 and are really for car/trucks not bikes (tho i have the bike with the first set of super shorties ever made)
they are easy to get thru there website or thru JEGS

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
cherrybombs are a brand thats been around as of 1968 and are really for car/trucks not bikes (tho i have the bike with the first set of super shorties ever made)
they are easy to get thru there website or thru JEGS
Is this the same thing I'm thinking of, then? It seemed more like this was a dude putting together kits for people in his garage and then shipping them out to you for just over $100.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 AM

Check JC Whitney for motorcycle shorty mufflers..........might be something for you to consider.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM

I've been tracking alternate exhaust systems for a while and may do something this summer. If you don't want to spend a ton, like on a Akrapovic, or middle of the road, say Yoshimura, Arrow or Leo V, or spend a bunch and need to re-map, like with a Two Bros, look at the Delkelvics.

Actually, after hanging with people with a myriad of pipes on their bikes, our stock pipes really don't sound that bad. They just weigh a lot, but with the location, it's no real issue, IMHO. Has anyone with the much lighter exhausts realized better performance?

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Is this the same thing I'm thinking of, then? It seemed more like this was a dude putting together kits for people in his garage and then shipping them out to you for just over $100.
http://www.apexhaust.com/wp-content/...revFN3_web.pdf

nope just a com[any that has been making high flow exaust for like i said cars and trucks (mostly hotrods) for years, some people (like me) are ghetto rednecks who just like to be loud and put them on there bikes, personally i wouldnt put one on the versys, but i did get some custom made for a honda twinstar i built for my husband and now they carry them in there catalog

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Loud Pipes / Poor Performance ? Denali Sound Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
http://www.apexhaust.com/wp-content/...revFN3_web.pdf

nope just a com[any that has been making high flow exaust for like i said cars and trucks (mostly hotrods) for years, some people (like me) are ghetto rednecks who just like to be loud and put them on there bikes, personally i wouldnt put one on the versys, but i did get some custom made for a honda twinstar i built for my husband and now they carry them in there catalog
So my son has a Honda 919, nice loud 100HP motor, after watching several of Joe's videos I got a Denali sound bomb, far more effective, some people almost sh**t , after over 40 years of riding, several safety courses, never thought I needed more than the OEM beep beep, until one day I had two close calls, FYI every ride one of the first things I do is cycle the horn, someplace where it won't scare anyone.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=onewizard;1351897]So my son has a Honda 919, nice loud 100HP motor, after watching several of Joe's videos I got a Denali sound bomb, far more effective, some people almost sh**t , after over 40 years of riding, several safety courses, never thought I needed more than the OEM beep beep, until one day I had two close calls, FYI every ride one of the first things I do is cycle the horn, someplace where it won't scare anyone.[/QUOTE

"Cycle the horn" is a rather interesting term. That could mean either a routine horn button push test or that your horn (or horns) plays Camptown Races or Dixie or some other lively tune, yes, no?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thank you for your valuable input. Okay, upgrade might not be the best term to use, but I do want a little more noise out of my V, and also do not have much money to put into it since it is a helmet and boot replacement year. Very sorry to offend your tastes, sir.
Not offending my tastes, just the science behind a properly tuned exhaust system. Seriously, if you just want louder, drill some holes internally through the baffles. Louder and only your time spent.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 03-24-2017 at 02:22 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

[quote=Arion;1352505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
So my son has a Honda 919, nice loud 100HP motor, after watching several of Joe's videos I got a Denali sound bomb, far more effective, some people almost sh**t , after over 40 years of riding, several safety courses, never thought I needed more than the OEM beep beep, until one day I had two close calls, FYI every ride one of the first things I do is cycle the horn, someplace where it won't scare anyone.[/QUOTE

"Cycle the horn" is a rather interesting term. That could mean either a routine horn button push test or that your horn (or horns) plays Camptown Races or Dixie or some other lively tune, yes, no?
The former, however the latter would be interesting to add on.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
I've been tracking alternate exhaust systems for a while and may do something this summer. If you don't want to spend a ton, like on a Akrapovic, or middle of the road, say Yoshimura, Arrow or Leo V, or spend a bunch and need to re-map, like with a Two Bros, look at the Delkelvics.

Actually, after hanging with people with a myriad of pipes on their bikes, our stock pipes really don't sound that bad. They just weigh a lot, but with the location, it's no real issue, IMHO. Has anyone with the much lighter exhausts realized better performance?
Yes.

I recommend the Yoshi TRC-D muffler. Much lighter than stock, more power, I can hear what the engine is doing through the change in the exhaust note, etc.

The reasons why are contained in my thread below, with pics, dyno chart, etc. Not only does it shave several pounds off the bike, it increased the mid-range power by about 15%. And that is where (in the rpm range) that I normally ride my V.

Yoshi TRC-D two outlet pipe?

Yoshi TRC-D two outlet pipe?

Trialsguy
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I found a ton of references to Cherry Bomb mufflers in some old threads from '08-'10, but nothing more recently than that. I'm looking for a low-cost exhaust upgrade to improve the sound of my '09 V, and I think this exhaust is the ticket. If anyone has any info on how I can contact this guy, or maybe just buy one online somewhere (I can't find it anywhere), please let me know!
I remember those posts. I liked the curved and angle cut exhaust outlet that he attached to those mufflers. [It's been a few years, not positive if it was the cherry bomb, or some other automotive aftermarket muffler.]

Anyway - the guy who produced and sold the combination auto derived muffler with an curved and angle cut outlet moved on to other things.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Another option to consider - You could "gut the catalytic converter". Just do a search on "gut the cat" on this or the UK Versys forum. It opens up the exhaust flow and makes it a little louder and deeper. Cost is $ 0, assuming that you can find a buddy to weld up the cuts you make to get at the cat. But, it will not make your V lighter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cherry bomb, exhaust, muffler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode