Seat lowering at the rear? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

2Likes
  • 1 Post By chrisfla1
  • 1 Post By farmerboy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Seat lowering at the rear?

After 1000 miles I have concluded that the seat tips me forward (as you all know!). I know it can be lifted at the front but I am already on my toes so I was wondering if anyone has tried lowering the back? It seems to rest on a couple of plastic lugs that could possibly be reduced therefore lowering the rear of the seat. Has anyone tried this before I butcher my seat?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

SeatFoam Modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
After 1000 miles I have concluded that the seat tips me forward (as you all know!). I know it can be lifted at the front but I am already on my toes so I was wondering if anyone has tried lowering the back? It seems to rest on a couple of plastic lugs that could possibly be reduced therefore lowering the rear of the seat. Has anyone tried this before I butcher my seat?

John
I am pretty sure you have seen my posts; http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tions-diy.html & http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...21-post28.html and http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...77-post29.html

Trying to lower the rear will be very difficult, or virtually impossible. On my 2015, the plastic sits/ rests just behind where others have raised using the riser block/ washers, trying to get the seat pan lower in the middle will create an even greater slope for the pillion, and isn't reversible, also the seat pan is reinforced in the middle, have a good look. One suggestion is to take the 1/4 flexible foam packing and tape it along the bike frame, along where the underside of the pan would rest. Put the seat on and sit on it. Remove the seat and see all the high spots, those are what you will need to remove to lower the rear, including the seat latch.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:46 AM

Not the response you probably want to hear but here's my experience so far. I'm 5'9" and have owned my 2015 650V for two months. I come from a dirtbike background and riding cruisers. One sits tall the other sits low. With dirtbikes I have always had to slide my butt over when stopping due to tall suspenion. No big deal. With all the cruisers I have owned I have always been able to flat-foot the bikes. The only person who is going to be able to flat-foot the V is going to six foot or taller without mods. I knew this going into the purchase. After taking delivery of the bike the first thing I bought was a nice Kawi low seat (gel pad/memory foam) from a member on this site. Nice seat lows sitting postion at least an inch. Not very comfortable IMO after about 50 miles, so I decided this probably would not work for longer rides. I then bought the Motowerks lowering kit and used stock seat. Not bad but still sloped forward a bit. Still not the best for longer rides. Finally, I just bought the Seat Concepts kit and got that installed this weekend. My butt is happy now and I should be able to do some longer rides in comfort. The new Seat Concepts foam kit makes the seat about an inch thicker than the stock seat but has the correct contour now. Bottom line for me. Lowering the bike and using the new Seat Concepts did the trick. I can't flat-foot the bike but I don't care. If you don't mind the look of the front riser block setup, just lower the bike and use the stock seat as it is not bad for comfort.

Last edited by captpfd; 03-14-2017 at 08:48 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:41 AM

You can slice some foam from the back of the driver's portion of the seat. There's a post on here about how to do that, and it shows you exactly where to cut. But I too bought a Kawasaki low gel seat. I really like mine! Obviously it's up to you. Good luck!
BreckRider likes this.

2007 H-D Electra Glide (laid it down Oct. 2nd 2016 with almost 95K miles; may she rest in pieces)
Iron Butt Association
LAMA DAMA since 2014
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:28 AM

Find an upholstery shop (there should be a bunch of them where you're at) take the seat to them and explain the problem. They can re-shape the seat and add a gel pad pretty quickly (they have the know how and tools). I did my own cause I'm cheap. It lowers the seating position by less than an inch. My bike is lowered (was when I bought it) and I also did the nose rise mod (up about 3/4"). Use Fast Eddie's method to mod the height of the nose (washers and two longer bolts and s small plate). The upholstery folks will probably charge you about $100-120 for the pad and labor.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Sargents also makes a low seat in addition to their regular seat. Just another option to check out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.. I am visiting Texas at the moment and will be returning again in July for a ride up to Alaska. The bike is staying in Texas for the moment and I have only limited tools so I was looking for a simple solution to the seat issue.

Raising the front will probably resolve the comfort issue (along with my sheepskin pad) but it all adds height! I am OK with the seat height at the moment but I think if I lift the front it may be a "bridge too far"!

Anyway, I shall take the front seat bracket home to the UK and make the recommended modification and bring a selection of washers so I can vary the amount of lift when I return.

I can try this out before I set off for Texas and if it is too high I shall buy the lowering kit.

I may have to get it shipped ahead to Truckee CA, to my pals house where it can be fitted.

Having a bike in one country and all my tools in another is a right royal pain!

Thanks for all the valuable advice.

John
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
...Having a bike in one country and all my tools in another is a right royal pain!...
John - it's at your son's house - RIGHT? Go to Harbor-Freight and buy some tools. They AIN'T "Snap-On", but they'll 'do' in a pinch, and they're inexpensive.

Between AZ and BC I have four of their torque wrenches (along w/ two Snap-On ones in BC).

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes, bike is in Texas but the seat is now in the UK!
You are right, of course, I have most common tools available in the US and have bought a few additions from Walmart but I always seem to be missing some vital bit of kit to get a job done! I am just spoilt with my well equipped set up in the UK!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:38 AM
BKP

Seats are probably one of the most personal preferences on a bike... what works for one, won't work for another.
That being said, I lowered my bike (Speedys kit), and bought a Sargent (standard). I tried the lowered seat once, and found it uncomfortable on a number of levels. This not only gave me much more comfortable ergos, but it did away w/ that slope forward effect.
I can ride for about three to four hours without stretching my legs (or giving my butt a break).

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
You can slice some foam from the back of the driver's portion of the seat. There's a post on here about how to do that, and it shows you exactly where to cut. But I too bought a Kawasaki low gel seat. I really like mine! Obviously it's up to you. Good luck!
I too have the gel seat and like it.

have done over 50,000 kms / 30,000 miles on it.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Took an angle grinder to the seat...

......but it is much lower and it does not pitch forward anymore! Whether it will be comfy on a long ride remains to be seen!!!

https://goo.gl/photos/QeZXW1y6F3LNu22t6

Just a few comments regarding the process....

Removing the seat cover is easy.

Peel back the rider seat foam - it is only glued at the front.

Be very careful with the angle grinder/wire brush, it works really well but only use VERY light strokes as it can (and did) catch once and took off some foam I did not want to remove!

I used a hole saw to enlarge the small hole under your spine - I am told it works well and is helpful

The seat foam is very soft and squidgy... and very thick. I removed LOADS... (from the underside) leaving a 2.5 in air gap under the seat foam / seat pan. I partially filled this with much denser (at least 2X) closed cell foam but left a 1.5in air gap. I made a bum shape similar to an old tractor seat. The denser foam was glued in place and feathered with the grinder.

The top of the seat foam was not touched at all.

The result is a much lower seat (1.5 inch) with less but layered denser foam. I hope it will be enough. If not, it is easy to modify. The larger hole in the seat pan relieves a bit of stress on the bottom of the spine and the denser foam spreads the load a bit. When sat on, it feels more like I am sitting in it rather than on it and I feel more upright. The sliding forward sensation has gone because the rear has been drastically lowered.

I have also bought an Air Hawk cushion as "insurance" and I had that in mind when I removed so much foam. The addition of the Air Hawk should not increase the seat height above stock now.

Anyway, it is an easy job and quite enjoyable.. I need to buy some stainless staples to finish it off but if needed I will happily repeat the process with different foam.

I shall report back with results! Time will tell if it works...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	117610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	117618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	117626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	117634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0832.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	117642  

quexpress likes this.

Last edited by farmerboy; 03-16-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode