Is the (Gen 3) stock screen ok? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
Is the (Gen 3) stock screen ok?

Hi all, I ride an R1200RT (in the UK) with its wonderful electric screen. Up in the winter and down in the summer. I have bought a 2015 650LT for a trip in the USA and was wondering if the gen 3 stock screen is ok for warm/hot weather?

I have never been on a bike with an air temperature much over about 27 degrees C (80F) and I have been told that temperatures in July/August in the Texas/Arizona areas get a LOT hotter! I am guessing that a bit of a cooling breeze will be invaluable in those temperatures so maybe a bigger aftermarket screen would be a bad idea?

On the other hand, I will be riding fair distances and maybe reducing buffet may be a priority?

It is a bit tricky as I will riding north (Alaska) and it will get much cooler....also my UK riding gear is designed for the British weather - maybe a complete new outfit is required.... more money, limited space, groan.....

I suppose I am asking "what is it like riding in very hot temperatures and what can I do to make it as comfy as possible?"

Any advice from those that ride a 650 versys in hot climates will be most welcome!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:52 PM

I just bought a lighter weight vented jacket by Fly that should work good for hot temps. I live in Texas. I also have a "cool" vest that can be used under the jacket that should be nice. Drink lots of water and take frequent breaks.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:02 PM

You'll need some wind protection because of bugs, flying debris, and dust. I'd just leave the stock windshield on, because, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't provide enough protection to comfortably ride the V in the rain. So I imagine it'll be just perfect for hot weather!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 PM

Garage
I ride in the Olympia X-Moto jacket (v1, high viz) The V2 is reviewed here https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-moto-2-jacket Watch the video to see the massive vents that are great in hot weather.

I ride with a t-shirt and liners down to 2C / 35F and just the jacket to 40+C / 105F.

The latest version comes with a 2 litre water back (twice my 1 litre) and a rain jacket you can use under or over the main jacket.

Other than being a bit grubby from riding to Alaska last year, it is still in great shape.

I haven't had any zips, etc, fail.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I will get a chance to try it out next week so I shall be better informed regarding what needs to be done.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:43 AM

Garage
I changed out to a bigger screen (in its lowest setting is like stock in it's highest). We haven't had any 95+ (35 c) days yet since my upgrade here in South Central Texas but I imagine it will be fine (being a native and all). I really wanted to protect myself a little better from bugs. With that said the stock screen wasn't bad but at 6'3" (190 cm) the wind over the screen was hitting me smack in the visor.

To keep cool I have a mesh jacket, hydration pack that I fill with ice water, when ever I come to river I dunk my under shirt, and if there is no river I will blow air into my hydration pack then flex my shoulder while I hold the mouth piece open and spray my neck and chest with water :P.

I am Brate, there are many like me but I am Brate.

Last edited by Brate; 02-21-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm... that sounds like it is seriously hot! I shall investigate whatever a "hydration pack" is!

Regarding the screen - I am 5 feet 9 in so I am hoping the stock screen will be ok for summer use.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:16 PM

Stop living in the past and get an adjustable windshield like a "Madstad" one.

It's tall, short, tilted, upright.. and all in between.
It's what you want when you want.

I want it as high as my chin, to beat the morning fog in some area yet see over it, not through it.
I want it as low and tucked as possible when riding in trails and hot temps.

I get it all.
Best expense ever.
No I don't work for them.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:20 PM

I'd like a screen that is wider AND higher. Which would you all suggest? I have the 650.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 04:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I'd like a screen that is wider AND higher. Which would you all suggest? I have the 650.

There are 3 sizes i went with the tallest....V-Stream Windscreen for Versys 650/1000

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Stop living in the past and get an adjustable windshield like a "Madstad" one.

It's tall, short, tilted, upright.. and all in between.
It's what you want when you want.

I want it as high as my chin, to beat the morning fog in some area yet see over it, not through it.
I want it as low and tucked as possible when riding in trails and hot temps.

I get it all.
Best expense ever.
No I don't work for them.
Is it electric like the RT or Pan (ST1300) ones?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
I shall investigate whatever a "hydration pack" is!
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...tbm=shop&spd=0

Sorry....I guess that's technically 'off topic'

Last edited by cbrf2_rider; 02-21-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: apology for off topic
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
I have bought a 2015 650LT for a trip in the USA and was wondering if the gen 3 stock screen is ok for warm/hot weather?

I have never been on a bike with an air temperature much over about 27 degrees C (80F) and I have been told that temperatures in July/August in the Texas/Arizona areas get a LOT hotter! I am guessing that a bit of a cooling breeze will be invaluable in those temperatures so maybe a bigger aftermarket screen would be a bad idea?

On the other hand, I will be riding fair distances and maybe reducing buffet may be a priority?

It is a bit tricky as I will riding north (Alaska) and it will get much cooler....also my UK riding gear is designed for the British weather - maybe a complete new outfit is required.... more money, limited space, groan.....

I suppose I am asking "what is it like riding in very hot temperatures and what can I do to make it as comfy as possible?"

Any advice from those that ride a 650 versys in hot climates will be most welcome!

What is the general route of your planned trip? We might be able to help you avoid the areas with the worst temperatures.

I have ridden through many of the states in the US, especially in the west where I've travelled multiple times over the last 20 years (see my sig below). Almost all of my transcontinental travel (all done on Honda ST1100s & 1300s) took place in July, August and September. On some trips I experienced temps as high as 110 degrees. I can tell you from my experience with those rides that you need to have a strategy for dealing with the heat. A core principle of this strategy is to stay hydrated. The kind of bike you ride does not matter. The principles are the same no matter the bike.

One of the best articles I've ever read on the subject of long distance (LD) riding in high temps is this article from the Iron Butt Association (IBA). I would recommend reading it before planning your trip because these guys know from experience what they are talking about:
http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

Here's a quick video that shows the route (in 2011) of the every other year, Iron Butt Rally, held during the summer. It runs for 11 days and the riders cover 11,000+ miles. As you can see, during this rally, they rode in areas that were pretty hot that time of year. These guys had to have a way of dealing with the heat or they would never have been able to compete:

My LD strategy to deal with the heat can be summarized as follows:

1. Hydration - stay hydrated! Either stop often or have some sort of hydration system on board that allows drink while riding. These systems are commercially available (camelback, etc), or you can make your own like I did.

The picture below shows what I made mounted on the bike. It's a small cooler that I stuck inside a tail bag. You can see the drinking tube. This picture was taken during an August/September trip in 2009. I experienced temperatures as high as 108F so this device was a godsend.

2. Riding Gear
a. Do not use mesh riding gear if you are going to be riding in temps above the mid 90's (see IBA article above). Leave the mesh at home.
b. Wear light colored gear. The darker the color, the more heat it absorbs and thus the hotter it gets. An article I saw 15+- years ago in Motorcycle Consumer News showed that color dramatically affects heat retention. The difference in temperature between a black jacket and a hi-viz yellow jacket was as much as 17 degrees F!

3. Food - eat light meals low in fats. A big meal, especially one high in fat, will make you seriously groggy and even put you to sleep if riding long distances. This effect is amplified if riding in hot weather due to the fatiguing effect of high temps.

4. Rest - take micro naps when you get the chance. Many of our highways have rest stops that have shaded picnic tables (aka Iron Butt Motels) perfect for stretching out on for a short snooze. I've even napped on the bike with it on the center stand in these shady spots. There's nothing like a 5 or 10 minute nap to perk you right up and allow you to continue on your journey more alert. These naps are especially useful in high heat because of the fatigue that high temps induce.

And finally....
Hope you enjoy your trip. Just do a little prep work prior to starting and you'll have a great time and witness some of the incredible eye-candy that our country has to offer, such as that in this picture from one of my trips through southeastern Utah:

quexpress and Turk like this.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

Last edited by Wolfcamp; 02-22-2017 at 12:12 PM.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Superb information... thankyou so much for taking the time to share. Looks like 93 degrees is the magic temp for comfy riding!

Great advice ref underwear etc... really appreciated, as high temps are never an issue in the UK

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
... high temps are never an issue in the UK
An understatement. I was stationed at an RAF base in the Midlands from 1971 to 1973. The year I left it got up to 85 degrees in London and people were fainting in the streets! Heck, at 85 we're just getting comfortable in Texas... :-).

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hmmm... that sounds like it is seriously hot! I shall investigate whatever a "hydration pack" is!
As noted above, the Olympia X Moto 2 Jacket comes in Hi-Viz, has lots of ventilation and has a 2 litre hydration pack as part of its setup

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

My wife is beginning to think I am having an affair... too much time scouring the t'interweb and buying stuff from eBay! Looks like buying the bike was just the start! You guys are killing my bank account.

I have just looked at temps in Alaska at that time of year - I will need kit for all seasons! I feel a trailer coming on....

Wolfcamp - where were you stationed? I was in the RAF around that time.

John
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Wolfcamp - where were you stationed? I was in the RAF around that time.
I was stationed at an F-111 base, RAF Upper Heyford. From what I've heard, it closed in the early 90's.

Heyford was a great place to be stationed. Beautiful countryside and easy access to the Cotswolds and Wales. London was just a train ride away from nearby Bicester.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it closed in 94...
"The runways are now home to a variety of wildlife including the scarce Lowland Calcareous Grassland and rare bird species such as the peregrine falcon, skylark and buzzard. Some of the buildings are used as an automotive storage compound for new and used vehicles. Other functions include police driving activities such as training. "... shame as I always loved the F111 - you guys certainly know how to build aircraft! I was flying a Hawk at the time at RAF Valley (North Wales) - happy days..
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
My wife is beginning to think I am having an affair... too much time scouring the t'interweb and buying stuff from eBay! Looks like buying the bike was just the start! You guys are killing my bank account.
If you can figure a way to mount it, you're welcome to my home made hydration setup. The ravages of old age and the medical issues that sometime accompany it have left me unable to do transcontinental travel any more, so I no longer need it. Since I'm in Houston where your bike is, you could swing by and pick it up prior to departure.

EDIT: Just checked and I don't believe my setup will work on the Versys. The cooler needs a flat surface to sit on and the passenger seat on my LT is slightly rounded! No bueno.

One last tip. When traveling in the American west during the summer, one thing that many people don't know to check on prior to departing is wildfires. I learned about this the hard way. Some years it seems like the entire western US is on fire! Smoke from these fires can really screw up the scenery. Below is a great site to use in the planning stage to avoid wildfire areas:

https://www.geomac.gov/viewer/viewer.shtml
farmerboy likes this.

Last edited by Wolfcamp; 02-22-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode