Is the (Gen 3) stock screen ok? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy View Post
Is it electric like the RT or Pan (ST1300) ones?
No. Unless you want to slide up/down, the tilt is adjustable with one hand while riding.
I even slide it up/down with one hand too, but it is way easier with both hands, which I will leave it to you to judge if this can be done while riding... (hint: not at low speeds...!)

It's just 2 star knobs holding the tension. They are on the "good" side of the windshield, not like the default one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I suppose I am asking "what is it like riding in very hot temperatures and what can I do to make it as comfy as possible?"

Any advice from those that ride a 650 versys in hot climates will be most welcome!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brate View Post
...To keep cool I have a mesh jacket, hydration pack that I fill with ice water, when ever I come to river I dunk my under shirt, and if there is no river I will blow air into my hydration pack then flex my shoulder while I hold the mouth piece open and spray my neck and chest with water :P.
THIS is what I do, but MINUS the mesh jacket when I've ridden to Alaska. Usually wear a Kilimanjaro 3/4 length, and have a 12v jacket-liner for cool mornings, w/ LOTS of vents for hotter times.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
I was stationed at an F-111 base, RAF Upper Heyford. From what I've heard, it closed in the early 90's.

Heyford was a great place to be stationed. Beautiful countryside and easy access to the Cotswolds and Wales. London was just a train ride away from nearby Bicester.

LOL... Wife and I were stationed at RAF Upper Heyford from 80-83.

2015 Candy Lime Green 650 LT

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 06:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgp777 View Post
LOL... Wife and I were stationed at RAF Upper Heyford from 80-83.

Small world! What did you do? I was in munitions (461xx). Worked in the bomb dump.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Small world! What did you do? I was in munitions (461xx). Worked in the bomb dump.
We were Flight Simulator Techs. Our shop was near the back gate.

2015 Candy Lime Green 650 LT
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:20 AM

I hear a few people talking about the V-Stream. It looks like it has good protection, is wide and tall. I put a Puig 5999 on my V1k. It's also wider and taller. Its lowest setting is the factor windscreens tallest setting. It's 50cm by 50cm or 19" by 19". I got it in smoke. So far great protection. I ride around town with it in its lowest position and all the way up on the freeway. 75-85 mph on freeway with no wind and I'm 6-7/235.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Small world indeed. I was a crew chief (431X1) on 111 F-models at Lakenheath '82-'85 and have a riding buddy who worked NDI at Heyford about the same time frame.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 PM
BKP

Big difference between breeze and buffeting...
I felt the buffeting w/ the stock screen was unacceptable. A good screen won't *stop* a breeze, rather it'll simply smooth out the airflow, so you feel a breeze, but it's the difference between putting your hand under a hard stream of water, and an aerated stream... *big* difference.

My favorite screen, without exception, is the Madstad (Adventure). I currently have a Puig touring, which is better than stock but, doesn't compare to the Madstad (I had to go w/ the Puig for bracketing reasons, w/ a GPS mount -- Madstad requires swapping out the brackets, which wouldn't have worked for my setup).

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to farmerboy
I have now had a bit of time on the bike and for my height (5ft 9in) I think the stock screen is pretty good. I get relatively clean air on my helmet and in hot weather I think it will suit. Not much protection in the rain and cold but otherwise happy with it. I have fitted a bigger screen to try out and although it made for a more comfortable ride at modest speeds it created a lot of noise/turbulence at higher speeds.

I have found that this "trade off" is common with screens and the only real solution is an electric adjustable one - like the ST1300 or BMW.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I suppose I am asking "what is it like riding in very hot temperatures and what can I do to make it as comfy as possible?"
Any advice from those that ride a 650 versys in hot climates will be most welcome!...John
When it's REALLY HOT (I've ridden in 110F) I get my tee-shirt WET, either by pouring water down the inside-front of my jacket or by stopping at a creek (or lake), removing my jacket, soaking the tee and then 'shrugging' my way into it (quite hard getting a SOAKING WET tee ON, but the rewards are IMMEDIATE). I found I can get relief for about 1.5 to 2 hours that way, then I just "do it again"....

My hydration pack holds 100oz (3 L), and I pretty much empty it each day on my long rides.

I would also suggest that you do NOT wear black. I KNOW that lighter colors get dirty-looking quicker, but they ARE way-y-y cooler...!

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-17-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode