Continental TKC80 or Shinko 705? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:16 AM

Garage
heres what I know for sure...... TKC... good, K60... bad. this by a looooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg margin

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
heres what I know for sure...... TKC... good, K60... bad. this by a looooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg margin
Euh, no. Apples and oranges.

TKC80 is barely at most fair, as a fallback if you cannot find anything else. It's expensive and short lasting, and it looses instantly compared to shinko 805, metzeller Karoo3, or dunlop 606, in the same 50/50 (perhaps 60/40) category.

K60 scout is excellent --> for an 80/20! On the basis of lifespan and the humble grip in sand.
But no good for what it claims to be (70/30 or 60/40) because of the grip-less center strip in all other terrain.
(talking about a 150/70 rear of course; otherwise, without a centre strip, it compares yet beats the mitas e07).

Last edited by dddd; 03-18-2017 at 06:30 AM.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:06 PM

Garage
the TKC does wear faster.... thats why it grips the pavement so well for a tire with big knobs. thats the price you pay. I liked the 606 on the back, not on the front. I don't have much experience with the Sahara 3 but it seemed like a good tire. I like the MT21 a lot. but none of that was the question..... its about the K60..... a tire that sucks donkey balls

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?

Last edited by Beezerboy; 03-20-2017 at 04:09 PM.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
about the K60..... a tire that sucks donkey balls
if you could justify your claim, your opinion might actually begin to matter.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
if you could justify your claim, your opinion might actually begin to matter.
how about the opinion of the manager of one of the largest MC dealers in Alaska, they sell thousands of DS type tires to seasonal riders traveling the northern routes. i watch bike forum traffic from that area, lots of useful info, including tires.

"...and we stock plenty of TKC-80s and TKC-70s as well as a bunch of other ADV tires. I can confirm we are no longer stocking many Heidenaus because we consider them a safety liability, and about 25% of the tires we receive from them are damaged or unusable." the other large Anchorage dealer quit Heidenaus too.

as far as the TKC80, i've used up a dozen sets of these tires, how about you? should your opinion on the TKC80 tire matter to me?

i've also run the Shinko 804/805, and the only reason they're on the bike now is price...they're cheap, at least they have that going for them, but offer no advantage in any other area, including miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
how about the opinion of the manager of one of the largest MC dealers in Alaska, they sell thousands of DS type tires to seasonal riders traveling the northern routes. i watch bike forum traffic from that area, lots of useful info, including tires.

"...and we stock plenty of TKC-80s and TKC-70s as well as a bunch of other ADV tires. I can confirm we are no longer stocking many Heidenaus because we consider them a safety liability, and about 25% of the tires we receive from them are damaged or unusable." the other large Anchorage dealer quit Heidenaus too.

as far as the TKC80, i've used up a dozen sets of these tires, how about you? should your opinion on the TKC80 tire matter to me?

i've also run the Shinko 804/805, and the only reason they're on the bike now is price...they're cheap, at least they have that going for them, but offer no advantage in any other area, including miles.

Saying that 25% of what you get is damaged is a sad fact (getting chinese clones?), but doesn't explain how an undamaged k60 tire is bad. I don't love it. I did write that I don't like it because the low traction from the continuous centrer strip (for the relevant size that has it), if the purpose was to serve as a 50/50. But as a 80/20, this tire is damn good and I have not read one reason that would deter a buyer. It's about being objective as possible until delivering the subjective evaluation.

And if your opinion is not based on facts, measurements or plausible logic, then no it doesn't matter. Sorry.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM

Garage
ya, right there... I would say the K65 is better described as 80/20. the only thing they have going is long wear. I had them on my BMW1150 and F650 at one time and did not like them. I've run TKCs a bunch on my GS and KLR and have nothing but good to say about how they handle. 3k on the back is about all I could get, so ya, gets expensive. I have extra rear wheels though & run a Tourance when I don't absolutely need the TKC.

if you want an 80/20.... try a Tourance (on the back)... surprisingly good off road unless its muddy. they run as long as pretty much any tire out there. lot of GS guys run the Tourance on the back & TKC up front.

no front tire I ever used vibrated as bad, wobbled, or made more noise than the K60. I only ran the second set because they were new and someone gave them to me.

edit: I have a friend that runs TKCs until they are paper thin & gets like 5k miles out of the rear. he's 6'5" & rides hard on an 1150GS. I won't run them any tire that bald, so 3k, 3500 & they are done for me. the only big knob tire I trust and love as much as the TKC is the Pirelli MT21

Last edited by Beezerboy; 03-26-2017 at 02:26 AM.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

After all I've read, I've recently purchased 705's for the front and rear. I figure I can switch up for the price, if I don't like them (under $200/set). I really want the knobby look of the TKC 80, but would prefer not to change the rear in the middle of the summer, due to the miles I drive back and forth to the shop. I'll be pounding the pavement for 50 plus miles one way, with just under 10 on gravel roads, depending on the scenery I want. Sounds like the Shinko's are the best mix. The boss (wife) only had a slight frown when I told her how much I spent, so BONUS! I figure now she'll let me get a skid plate to protect my now much safer, investment. Youngest was just accepted to MSU, so I have 6 months to accessorize before the well dries up!!!!
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

The well just dried up. Within the last 5 minutes, the boss (wife) just informed me we bought a new Suburban PREMIERE, because tuition to Michigan State obviously wasn't enough. You know, need the extra room with only the 2 of us left in the household. I guess the full size Silverado was just too small. @&$";:/--!!!!!!!!
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

I guess the skid plate is off
post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM

My last wife was like that I traded her in for a more bike friendly model with less miles on her.
onewizard likes this.

2016 Orange Versys 650 LT , 2015 CSC RX3, 2011 Ural Gear Up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode