2016 Givi Top box is a no go with OEM sides? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

2016 Givi Top box is a no go with OEM sides?

I have the 2016 LT with side bags and was going to get the top box. Although the Kawa Top box indicates $275, with all the crap I need to install it, it ends up being more like $850!

I think the Givi Top box is nicer, but Givi told me that their top box (47 L) won't fit with the Kawa OEM side bags (?). Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm so frustrated with Kawa nickel and diming me for a top box. I'm tempted to get rid of the OEM side bags and just go Givi all around.

Thanks (this is my first post).

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:31 PM

Garage
The OEM Luggage is made by Givi.....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:41 PM

Garage
Yes, the OEM case is the same thing as the Givi V47. It will fit as well as will probably any other Givi case.

You'll still need a rack, you can get the OEM one or the Givi one. Only difference is price and a big "K" on it.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:42 PM

Garage
I have a Givi Rack mounted on my 2016 V-1000 with a Givi E-55 Top Case. No issues with the OEM side cases. I don't use the side cases on my bike unless needed. Also Givi make Kappa

Watch the video....

Givi Rack by weljo2001, on Flickr

Givi E-55 Topcase by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 PM

I have a 2015 the 2016 should be the same.

Sorry my computer skills are limited I can't figure out how to flip picture.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	112234  

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-05-2017 at 10:46 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome From The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by otkagony View Post
I have the 2016 LT with side bags and was going to get the top box. Although the Kawa Top box indicates $275, with all the crap I need to install it, it ends up being more like $850!

I think the Givi Top box is nicer, but Givi told me that their top box (47 L) won't fit with the Kawa OEM side bags (?). Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm so frustrated with Kawa nickel and diming me for a top box. I'm tempted to get rid of the OEM side bags and just go Givi all around.

Thanks (this is my first post).

Mark
to the forum, chance to save big bucks
I have another post with pictures of my Givi V56 top case and trekker side cases, SOOOOO Glad I didn't get the Kawi side cases , here is my post showing my tank bag. And a second shot of my bike and cases Tank bag for 3rd Gen - SW-Motech
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:13 PM

As mentioned above..........the Givi 47L top case and the OEM Kawi one are the same animal. I have the OEM one and "yes", with all the stuff (rack, color matching panels, case, lock, and back rest pad) it came to almost $850. Very nice product though.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM

It doesnt matter how wide the top case is, it would not interfere with the side cases. It is higher up then they are. Here is mine with a givi e45

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

Creature, you have the OEM side cases but you put on a Givi Top case with no issues?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Creature, you have the OEM side cases but you put on a Givi Top case with no issues?
Several people just told you it works, including myself. Is there something we can clarify for you?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

I guess I'll just try it. Givi says is will *NOT* work with my OEM side cases, but since you guys have done it, I'll just try it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:32 PM

The ignition key works for the factory sidecases, it won't work for a aftermarket top case, perhaps that is what they mean ? If you go aftermarket, make sure to check out motostorm.......huge savings and quick shipping from Italy.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
I guess I'll just try it. Givi says is will *NOT* work with my OEM side cases, but since you guys have done it, I'll just try it.
Is Givī saying their case won't work, or their rack won't work.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 AM

A Monokey system from Kawasaki will fit into a Givi 47L with no problem. Then the ignition key opens all cases.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:24 PM

I checked the Givi instructions and the rails mount to the inside of the area where the OEM cases mount. I can't see any problems so I'm going to get the Givi Top Box for my '16 LT. I'll post the outcome one I get the bucks together. It looks like the mounting hardware will run about $100 for the rails and mounting plate and another $370 for the 52L box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode