Tank bag for 3rd Gen - SW-Motech - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Wolfcamp
  • 1 Post By Wolfcamp
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tank bag for 3rd Gen - SW-Motech

Thinking seriously about purchasing the SW-Motech bag shown below for my 2016 650LT. Has anyone mounted this to their 2015 or 16? If so, did the angle of the tank bag base match well with the slope of the tank?

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK EVO Trial Non-Electric Tank Bag | 15-22 Liter | TwistedThrottle.com

Joey Rocket Films likes this.

2016 Versys 650 LT, Orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

07/ 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcamp View Post
Thinking seriously about purchasing the SW-Motech bag shown below for my 2016 650LT. Has anyone mounted this to their 2015 or 16? If so, did the angle of the tank bag base match well with the slope of the tank?

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK EVO Trial Non-Electric Tank Bag | 15-22 Liter | TwistedThrottle.com

I have the http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-mo...cycle-tank-bag

I had it on the 07, fit perfectly, mounted on the 2015, not so, I used the drilling guide and a piece of 1/4 inch plywood, to raise the bag, I have purchased the mirror extenders as the mirrors hit the bag at full lock. I also put some protection under the bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	112162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160508_165226687_HDR.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	112178  

Last edited by onewizard; 01-04-2017 at 10:52 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:37 AM

I'm using the smallest SW-Motech gas cap-mounted bag; well, it's actually labeled "Ion" which is SW-Motech's new, cheaper line. It's got the same exact dimensions as the SWM Quick-Loc EVO "Micro" bag. It barely touches the handlebars at full lock, so I imagine anything wider (it's about 8.5") and you'll have at least some degree of interference, which may not be a big deal. My bag is very small and doesn't slope; hard to see from the pic but it actually does not touch the tank anywhere. Let us know what you end up doing -- I'd love to find a larger bag with a larger map case that works on the V. I'm also eyeing the Givi XS320, which Givi markets specifically for the new Africa Twin and the 3rd gen Versys 650.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

onewizard - looking at your two pics... - I thought you said you NEVER ride dirt...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I have the SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection QUICK-LOCK EVO City Non-Electric Tank Bag | 11-15 Liter | TwistedThrottle.com

I had it on the 07, fit perfectly, mounted on the 2015, not so, I used the drilling guide and a piece of 1/4 inch plywood, to raise the bag, I have purchased the mirror extenders as the mirrors hit the bag at full lock. I also put some protection under the bag.

OK, if I understand you correctly, your bag (very similar to the SWM bag I'm considering) will not fit on your 3rd gen. Is the slope of the bag not matching with the slope of the tank or was it just that the mirrors hit the bag at full lock?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Pictures / 2015 650 ABS

Quote:
OK, if I understand you correctly, your bag (very similar to the SWM bag I'm considering) will not fit on your 3rd gen. Is the slope of the bag not matching with the slope of the tank or was it just that the mirrors hit the bag at full lock?
Sorry for the confusion, those pictures are of my 2015, the bag was on my 07 originally.The tank ring was recovered and the bag off the 07, the MK-3 GAS tank / AKA 2015 650 ABS gas tank, or Tank for short, has a much more gradual slope to the point I couldn't push down hard enough for it to lock on the 2015. I raised the ring first, only to find the gas cap can't open properly, so I raised the bag using those spacers and longer mounting bolts. The mirror extenders are strictly for when the bike is parked, plus my Oxford heated grips is mounted on the clutch side mirror.I will post better pictures tomorrow. The second picture is the separate map case by them, mounted on top the bag.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-04-2017 at 08:42 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Look closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
onewizard - looking at your two pics... - I thought you said you NEVER ride dirt...?

Looks like dirt, smells like dirt, must be dirtno Northern Ontario near Bancroft , more dirt than gravel.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:23 PM

Very happy with the Givi 3D 603 (cloth covered flexible plastic so holds its shape and is water resistant without cover). Givi have a first rate tank ring attachment system which is far superior to straps or magnets. What ever bag you end up with I would look for a tank ring attachment system although it can be slightly more expensive. Tank rings just plain work better than straps or magnets. The thing to watch for is handlebar contact when the bars are fully turned and obstruction of instruments. Both of the below bags will fit the Versys 650 perfectly.

Note prices listed are in Canadian dollars so will be cheaper from US sites.
http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/givi-x...i-versys-15-16 Givi XS320

https://fortnine.ca/en/givi-3d603-ta...4l-3d-tank-bag Givi 3D 603

Last edited by twowheels; 01-04-2017 at 11:49 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Sorry for the confusion, those pictures are of my 2015, the bag was on my 07 originally.The tank ring was recovered and the bag off the 07, the MK-3 GAS tank has a much more gradual slope to the point I couldn't push down hard enough for it to lock on the 2015. I raised the ring first, only to find the gas cap can't open properly, so I raised the bag using those spacers and longer mounting bolts. The mirror extenders are strictly for when the bike is parked, plus my Oxford heated grips is mounted on the clutch side mirror.I will post better pictures tomorrow. The second picture is the separate map case by them, mounted on top the bag.

What is the "MK-3 Gas tank"?
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-04-2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: My error, you guys can't read my mind---****well not yet=give it time
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
What is the "MK-3 tank"?
MK1 - 2007-2009
MK2 - 2010-2014
MK3 - 2015-

All three versions have a very similar tank shape if not the exact same tank although plastic side panels on the tank vary with version. As such if a bag fits one version it should theoretically fit all three.
onewizard likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
MK1 - 2007-2009
MK2 - 2010-2014
MK3 - 2015-

All three versions have a very similar tank shape if not the exact same tank although plastic side panels on the tank vary with version. As such if a bag fits one version it should theoretically fit all three.

Thanks. I'm still a Versys newbie.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
I'm using the smallest SW-Motech gas cap-mounted bag; well, it's actually labeled "Ion" which is SW-Motech's new, cheaper line. It's got the same exact dimensions as the SWM Quick-Loc EVO "Micro" bag. It barely touches the handlebars at full lock, so I imagine anything wider (it's about 8.5") and you'll have at least some degree of interference, which may not be a big deal.

Well, with all the talk of tank bag interference, I think I'll probably go with the smallest ION. Specifically Ion because the same sized Evo does not have a map pocket.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Well, with all the talk of tank bag interference, I think I'll probably go with the smallest ION. Specifically Ion because the same sized Evo does not have a map pocket.
Yeah, the map pocket is what drove my decision, too. It's very narrow and loads thru a zipper on the inside of the lid, so not the greatest map case, but better than nothing; some of us old geezers still rely on the Analog Positioning System. I'm still looking for something larger in a gas cap mount bag that will work though.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Map case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Yeah, the map pocket is what drove my decision, too. It's very narrow and loads thru a zipper on the inside of the lid, so not the greatest map case, but better than nothing; some of us old geezers still rely on the Analog Positioning System. I'm still looking for something larger in a gas cap mount bag that will work though.
That map case I have uses part of the optional tie downs of the tank bag and some 3/16 black shock cord at the zipper end of the tank bag. Very pricey ( SW Motech) but well worth it, I keep my cell phone in there with my directions and maps. My phone has a LED notification, for everything including missed calls , and yes I have a GPS, this summer it couldn't find a satellite for two hours ( 200 KM) fortunately I had my turns printed.
If you look real close at the far away picture I posted you can see my phone in the bottom left hand corner of the map case.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-05-2017 at 11:01 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:55 AM
FMB

Garage
So many choices...but this forum helps...and saves me time and money. Thank you gentlemen.

I see my therapist every day. He's Labrador Retriever named Monty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode