gear indicator help? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
Thanks but I was more wondering IF the plug on the round indicator will fit the harness on a Gen 2 bike. I have a square one on my bike now, just like the looks of the round one better, and ability to easier put it somewhere inset on the dash.
From looking at the pics on the 2 links I posted the plugs appear to be the same. But all the round ones I've found state for 2014-16.

Does the square one work good for you? Is it easy to read? Where did you mount it? I haven't installed mine yet.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 12-19-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
From looking at the pics on the 2 links I posted the plugs appear to be the same. But all the round ones I've found state for 2014-16.

Does the square one work good for you? Is it easy to read? Where did you mount it? I haven't installed mine yet.
My square (actually a rectangle) one works as advertised, it's very visible in all conditions. I have it attached with the industrial type velcro to the left side of the dash like so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:12 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
My square (actually a rectangle) one works as advertised, it's very visible in all conditions. I have it attached with the industrial type velcro to the left side of the dash like so.
Thanks for the info. That is the way I want to mount mine.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 06:16 PM

OK guys got my gear indicator installed today. Works good, and the numbers are easy to read in the shade. In the sunlight, the blank spaces, which are white, show up as much as the green lit spaces, making it hard to read. look at the picture on this link. The 6 looks like an 8
Motorcycle Gear Indicator Green LED For Kawasaki VERSYS 650 1000 2014-2016 | eBay

I cut a small piece of dark automotive window tint and put it over the face of the indicator. Worked perfect. The numbers show up good, and you can't see the blank white spaces at all. Works well in shade or sunlight. If you only have medium tint, put one piece on, then put another piece over it. The edges of the face are beveled, so cut the pieces smaller than the face. Just big enough to cover the numbers. peel the backing off the tint. Using a wet cloth dampen the face, and put the tint over the number. Then carefully and gently smooth and dry the tint with a dry cloth. make sure you don't slide the film out of place on this step. If you want to see how it will look before doing this, lay the lense of a dark pair of sunglasses over the face of the indicator, and see how much better the numbers show up in the sun.
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Skypilot 69; 12-20-2016 at 06:19 PM.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:21 PM

Do I need the OEM relay to install this gear indicator?
Or I can just plug it under the seat?
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleil14 View Post
You should be able to just route the wire and plug it in under the seat.
soleil14 likes this.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleil14 View Post
No relay needed.
Under the seat you will find a transparent plastic plug with a cap over it. remove the cap, which is PITA. It has 3 latches that need to be released. Then plug the indicator in. Save the cap, as you will need to replace it if you remove the indicator later. My indicator works fine, after putting window film over the face. Only downside is that when changing gears, it takes a secound or two before the number changes on the indicator. Not really a problem, and the indicator does what I bought it for.
soleil14 likes this.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks but I was more wondering IF the plug on the round indicator will fit the harness on a Gen 2 bike. I have a square one on my bike now, just like the looks of the round one better, and ability to easier put it somewhere inset on the dash.
I'm wondering the same thing. About to buy one momentarily. Ever find out? Thanks!

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:03 PM

This one fits 2010 all the way up to 2016 so I'm wondering if the round one would fit my 2011. Thoughts?

Ride it like you stole it but also like you wanna be able to ride it to work the next day

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Rocket Films View Post
This one fits 2010 all the way up to 2016 so I'm wondering if the round one would fit my 2011. Thoughts?
probably so, but I don't know this for sure.
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:52 PM

here is the wiring harness for the 2011 Versys 650

2011 Kawasaki VERSYS (KLE650CBF) Chassis Electrical Equipment | Cycle Parts Outlet

And the harness for the 2014

2014 Kawasaki VERSYS (KLE650CEF) Chassis Electrical Equipment | Cycle Parts Outlet

As you can see they are the same part number, so I would think that the electrical systems are the same.
Joey Rocket Films likes this.
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypilot 69 View Post
here is the wiring harness for the 2011 Versys 650

2011 Kawasaki VERSYS (KLE650CBF) Chassis Electrical Equipment | Cycle Parts Outlet

And the harness for the 2014

2014 Kawasaki VERSYS (KLE650CEF) Chassis Electrical Equipment | Cycle Parts Outlet

As you can see they are the same part number, so I would think that the electrical systems are the same.
Thanks, I guess there's only a couple ways to find out for sure.

My V - Z.A.B. 2.0
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:19 PM

I ordered mine on ebay on 1st January, estimated delivery 19th - 27th January. It arrived today 9th Jan. From opening the box to test ride, just under 40 minutes. So easy - with the helps in this thread. The connector was no issue as of the 2 on my 2011 650, only 1 was the right size.
As I am Aus, and it is summer, perfect for some longer rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
flashing f, gear indicator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode